Gaming Build help please

nero99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hello all. I would like to build a decent Intel gaming PC. But I am lost on what to look for in terms of a motherboard and cpu as I have only used amd in my custom builds. My budget for the mobo cpu combo is $350 as I already have the needed case, psu, graphics card (Radeon RX 460 4gb), and 16gb (2x8gb) DDR3 1866mhz ram. Yes I know that the gpu isn't the best, but it's only temporary until I can get my gtx 1070 for Christmas. Any help on what board and cpu to buy would be much appreciated!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
DDR4 exists now and is in a lot of motherboards. It is not a hard thing to stick on DDR3 but I will mention it here, it will potentially also limit your options for upgrades.

What PSU have you got? It is not so bad these days but I am still wary about the things that get stuck in case PSU combos.

Do you have a hard drive/SSD for this? It is not in your list.

Motherboard wise I would say you are going to be doing well to be walking away with all that much change from $100. That said leaving the rest for CPU you might be able to get something a bit less in the LGA 1150 family., most of the ones I am seeing here for less are microATX though (will fit and should take the graphics card but leaves less room for expansion). Move into the LGA1151 processors and restricting it to DDR3 will get you something for $100.

Anyway I am dropping off in my chair so I will leave it there. Do consider what the RAM means for you.

nero99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DDR4 exists now and is in a lot of motherboards. It is not a hard thing to stick on DDR3 but I will mention it here, it will potentially also limit your options for upgrades.

What PSU have you got? It is not so bad these days but I am still wary about the things that get stuck in case PSU combos.

Do you have a hard drive/SSD for this? It is not in your list.

Motherboard wise I would say you are going to be doing well to be walking away with all that much change from $100. That said leaving the rest for CPU you might be able to get something a bit less in the LGA 1150 family., most of the ones I am seeing here for less are microATX though (will fit and should take the graphics card but leaves less room for expansion). Move into the LGA1151 processors and restricting it to DDR3 will get you something for $100.

Anyway I am dropping off in my chair so I will leave it there. Do consider what the RAM means for you.
we have ddr4 now? well im open to sugggestions to ddr4 boards and ram then. I have a 240gb ssd for my os and certain games, a 500gb hdd 5400 rpm for downloads, and a 1tb segate 7200 rpm hdd for other games. i have a corsair cx750m semi-modular psu and a deep cool 4 coper heat pipe cooler that supports amd and intel up to lga 1151.and my case is the thermaltake core p3. right now my current build is using a fx 8350. im looking for something from intel that will perform better than that. even if i have to drop to 4 cores for better performance I will.

Last edited by nero99,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock