Hardware Broken ASUS Laptop, REVANGE

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
"when you don't know exactly how long it's gonna last"... that's what reviews are for.
"what they do to prevent [...] the assume whether the lot is ok or not"... QA methods are different from company to company and factory to factory.
"you expect it to last at least for 3-4 years"... your expectations are too high. Assuming the hardware is sound, the user still has the responsibility to take care of their equipment (i.e. laptop). That means cleaning the dust out regularly, occasionally re-applying the thermal paste, keeping the temperatures down (e.g. using a cooling fan) and keeping the software up to date. It is not the manufacturer's fault if the user neglects their equipment.
"so they offer you a 200 dollars another 2 years of extended warranty"... that's normal practice. The first year is free to cover hardware defects. The following 2 years is for the purpose of covering the "expected lifespan" of the laptop (3 years). A well maintained laptop can last much longer, but the hardware will probably become obsolete after 3 years. This is not about profit (although the warranty is one method of getting a fair bit of profit), this is trends in technology.
"you ended up paying them for their lack of competance"... since you are such the budding expert computer engineer, perhaps you should suggest how to make a laptop that will last 10 years with 0% of them failing? Of course, they must also be using high end components to match desktop speeds and yet be no thicker than an inch and yet have state-of-the-art exotic cooling solutions to keep it frosty whilst working at full load for 8 hours of every day for those 10 years... and on top of that cost no more than $1000. Still think you can do a better job?

thevilman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
what I'm trying to point out is they choose process that are more profitable according to their interests
but you gotta agree with me, there are some clauses on the warranty contract that doesn't make any sense.
first of all, as it says on my ASUS warranty I CAN'T open it up for any reason, which means that I cannnot perform self maintance on my own computer for the first year. the only tech support available in my country is 2 thousand kilometers away. breaking this rule will void your own warranty

honestly, don't you expect to have a computer to last for at least 3-4 years? am I asking too much? I don't mean having a fast computer in 3-4 year, I mean a computer that is reliable. Don't you guys agree with me? Wouldn't you guys get pissed of your Nintendo DS stopped working after 2 years? Is it my responsability because my Xbox 360 got a BIG 3 rld?

regarding the last comment you made
They might not be able to make a computer that last for 10 years but they can diminish the percentage of failing computer from 20% to maybe 3 or 4%, it's just a matter of willing
I'm sorry but I ain't no computer engineer, I'm a mechatronical engineer that understand maybe a bit of process control and quality engineering to state again, it's just a matter of willing

and again, am I asking too much? I've always taken care really good care of my note and I'm not guilty at all

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Just to qualify my own comments, I've yet to have a laptop die on me (although 2 are fairly close to death's door, due to hardware design flaws that I only discovered 2 years after each purchase), and they range from 1 year old to 6 years old. You'd be surprised how much a compressed air canister to the air vents can help.

You can only expect a laptop to last 3+ years if you take 2 steps: first, do your research to make sure it has no design flaws (like a pitifully small fan trying to keep cool an AMD Turion... Silly HP). Second, commit yourself to cleaning it out every now and again. I'm not the most vigilant cleaner in the world, but whenever the fan starts to get a bit noisy, that's the first sign it needs cleaning. Compressed air costs me 59p ($1).

On the other hand, laptops are starting to favour low powered CPUs (CULV) that are able to work at a reasonable speed (1.6-2.5Ghz) and boast a good battery life. With low powered CPUs, heating becomes far less of an issue, which generally means you can expect it to last a good while. High end laptops will always face the problem of trying to find an effective exotic cooling system in cramped space with virtually no airflow, and that's what starts to cause lots of problems. Those laptops you can't just "expect" them to last forever - heat wears down the components like nothing else can.

thevilman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I do agree with you buddy.
But what I'm trying to state here is that ASUS has miserably failed me and if we don't watch out it will happen again
so I just wanna point out that ASUS is trustworth and that everybody should think a lot before buying one of their high end laptops
first because they are too hot to be used on your laps
second because in the end you're gambling your money buying a machine like that

so the only possible thing to be done is to make the funniest video on youtube showing how crappy ASUS is

I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IF YOU GUYS CAME WITH SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO MAKE SMALL VIDEO MOCKIN
G ASUS.

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
thevilman said:

I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IF YOU GUYS CAME WITH SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO MAKE SMALL VIDEO MOCKIN
G ASUS.

perhaps the asus/asses clown can perform a quick rap?

worked for geohot when he ranted on sony.

aiRWaLKRe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
From my experience I would buy toshiba, or I might of just been lucky with this 3 or 4 year old laptop that still works just fine. it does need a laptop cooler, but never gives me problems.

BUT NEVER BUY A CLEVO!!!! I had an awesome $5000 laptop with dual video cards 5.1 surround 12 GB ram, i7. It took anything I threw at it the first 10 hours I had it, then it was around 4am and I needed some sleep, so I shut it down. Wake up, turn it on and its dead. Sweet $5000 paper weight!!! Repair tech said it was something with the motherboard, so I just got a refund. Awesome $5000 piece of equipment that work all but 10 hours was never moved once turned on and died after a shutdown...

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
aiRWaLKRe said:
From my experience I would buy toshiba, or I might of just been lucky with this 3 or 4 year old laptop that still works just fine. it does need a laptop cooler, but never gives me problems.

BUT NEVER BUY A CLEVO!!!! I had an awesome $5000 laptop with dual video cards 5.1 surround 12 GB ram, i7. It took anything I threw at it the first 10 hours I had it, then it was around 4am and I needed some sleep, so I shut it down. Wake up, turn it on and its dead. Sweet $5000 paper weight!!! Repair tech said it was something with the motherboard, so I just got a refund. Awesome $5000 piece of equipment that work all but 10 hours was never moved once turned on and died after a shutdown...

You realize you made my mouth drop open at that...right? Who in the right mind puts two video cards, 12GB of ram, AND A highend processor...IN A LAPTOP?!

thevilman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
it doesn't matter who does this or that
when a product hits the shelves it's not up to the costumer to foresee it can't be done
he thought a 5,000 dollars computer would just work

remember, we are not doing anything ilegal,
if I shooting a video mocking the hell of asus using my case as reference this is called free speech
we're all entitled to it

=D

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
You could always make a paper-mache cat and fill it with spaghetti, then drop it off the top of a building into the middle of a crowd while making cat noises, then when everybody realizes it wasn't an actual cat, climb down the side of a building and scream "PEASANTS, I AM YOUR NEW EMPEROR!", right before smearing peanut butter all over your butt, and coughing up a baby squirrel.

Then say "ASUS sucks".

Also don't forget to film it.

ChaosZero816

Temp's Official Random Member
Trophies
XP
Country
Rydian said:
You could always make a paper-mache cat and fill it with spaghetti, then drop it off the top of a building into the middle of a crowd while making cat noises, then when everybody realizes it wasn't an actual cat, climb down the side of a building and scream "PEASANTS, I AM YOUR NEW EMPEROR!", right before smearing peanut butter all over your butt, and coughing up a baby squirrel.

Then say "ASUS sucks".

Also don't forget to film it.

I would love to see this one!
rofl.gif

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thevilman said:
it doesn't matter who does this or that
when a product hits the shelves it's not up to the costumer to foresee it can't be done
he thought a 5,000 dollars computer would just work

remember, we are not doing anything ilegal,
if I shooting a video mocking the hell of asus using my case as reference this is called free speech
we're all entitled to it

=D

Yes...It is. Know what you're buying.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
thevilman said:
I do agree with you buddy.
But what I'm trying to state here is that ASUS has miserably failed me and if we don't watch out it will happen again
There we have the core of the issue. It's not that ASUS are incompetent or untrustworthy, it's that they failed you. Welcome to the 18% statistic of ASUS laptops that fail within 3 years. Share a brotherly pat on the back with HP users that endure a 25% failure rate. Make that NoobToob video expressing your displeasure at their service, and get flooded with sympathetic comments of people who have either experienced the same, or who will flame you for blaming your own neglect on an innocent laptop manufacturing company.

How much of that is true... I'll just stop there. I wish I could remember that source detailing laptop failure rates...

thevilman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
would you buy a laptop if you a big warning came written on the box?
THIS LAPTOP HAS A 18% CHANCE OF HAVING A MAJOR FLAW WITHIN THE FIRST 3 YEARS OF USE.

remember, they DO control this output

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up