Hacking Discussion Bricking your Switch on purpose or: How AutoRCM works

Rickardoo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm seeing this from a developer perspective. It's very likely that the original Nintendo code contains the japanese equivalent of "oh shit!" as a comment just before RCM is triggered. Was that what you meant as well?
...No, i just put it in. I didn’t go down the rabbit hole this much when I wrote it! :)
Edit: It probably does have a comment like that before RCM activates. Shit, switch broke, Shit, people hacked the switch, Shit, I’m going to get fired for putting curse words in the source code for a PG family friendly console

Last edited by Rickardoo,

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's very likely that the original Nintendo code contains the japanese equivalent of "oh shit!" as a comment just before RCM is triggered.

I don't think japanese developers would be that childish.

But RCM is nVidia code anyway. The whole point of the fusee gelee disclosure window was because triggering RCM (whether by button, or corrupting the boot hash) and the exploitable RCM itself was in all TX1 devices.

Last edited by smf,

mnemonicpunk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't think japanese developers would be that childish.

But RCM is nVidia code anyway. The whole point of the fusee gelee disclosure window was because triggering RCM (whether by button, or corrupting the boot hash) and the RCM itself was in all TX1 devices.
Good point. It was likely an english comment, then. ^^ (Developers are usually very childish when they think noone is watching.)

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Good point. It was likely an english comment, then. ^^ (Developers are usually very childish when they think noone is watching.)

In over 30 years I have never put a swear word in a comment, but then I have mostly tried to avoid writing comments as they get in the way of seeing the code. Swear words in method and variable names are no good either, because you need those meaningful to avoid writing comments.

It's not that I don't swear and it's not that I haven't done my share of stupid things in the office, but if swearing in source code is as rebellious as you get then you need to get out more.

mnemonicpunk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
In over 30 years I have never put a swear word in a comment, but then I have mostly tried to avoid writing comments as they get in the way of seeing the code. Swear words in method and variable names are no good either, because you need those meaningful to avoid writing comments.

It's not that I don't swear and it's not that I haven't done my share of stupid things in the office, but if swearing in source code is as rebellious as you get then you need to get out more.
I used to work at a company where there would be an easteregg (like a movie quote) on every PCB below the CPU. Very few people would ever see it but having it and we would spend way more time than was appropriate on finding just the right line for every product. ^^

Also I don't think that has anything to do with rebelliousness. In case of "panic" code it actually makes sense since it quite succinctly expresses the problem.

Reactions: Rickardoo

Rickardoo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, know that instant cfw payload with a splash... well any suggested improvements for my splash screen?

Attachments

• 15A8668D-BDDC-402C-8ED3-F4D1E7DFDA7E.jpeg
    15A8668D-BDDC-402C-8ED3-F4D1E7DFDA7E.jpeg
    439.4 KB · Views: 287
Reactions: Draxzelex

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I used to work at a company where there would be an easteregg (like a movie quote) on every PCB below the CPU. Very few people would ever see it but having it and we would spend way more time than was appropriate on finding just the right line for every product. ^^

You can't work creatively every minute of every working day, so there is a benefit in letting people blow off steam. But it's a balance. If you swear and a customer sees it and cancels the contract and you lose your job, then it's bad.

Also I don't think that has anything to do with rebelliousness. In case of "panic" code it actually makes sense since it quite succinctly expresses the problem.

It's used during manufacturing, it doesn't express the situation at all. You know how there are places it's unusual to swear out of respect (church, in front of grand parents, in front of kids etc), you should respect source code too.

mnemonicpunk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's used during manufacturing, it doesn't express the situation at all. You know how there are places it's unusual to swear out of respect (church, in front of grand parents, in front of kids etc), you should respect source code too.
You do you, man. :) I'm not saying you should do that, I'm really just saying that is what I experienced. May be more likely in code that is close to the metal because the people involved are usually old hackers anyway, but that's really just conjecture. Especially since I don't know where you're coming from and we may just have experienced different things.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
May be more likely in code that is close to the metal because the people involved are usually old hackers anyway, but that's really just conjecture.

I imagine it's the default situation during manufacture, the switch will go into RCM mode to install the OS. It's not scary.

You can get into RCM even without an emmc at all, AutoRCM is really not that scary either.

Reactions: mnemonicpunk

limpbiz411

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i didn't read all the posts in this thread, but is their a possibility to redirect rcm to a payload saved on an sd card booting into cfw that way? or is that just an idea for now?

mariogamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i didn't read all the posts in this thread, but is their a possibility to redirect rcm to a payload saved on an sd card booting into cfw that way? or is that just an idea for now?
No. The best we can do is to use a router with usb host support (see there), plug it jnto the switch and then upload a payload chainloadder/cfw (atmosphere).

Last edited by mariogamer,

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Swearing in source code comments is the shit tbh.

Simple things please simple minds.

TX claims they can load a payload from SD card in there new FAQ, so it is possible. Devs just need to figure out how

Devs know how to load a payload from a payload, but the first needs to be loaded from USB.

No. The best we can do is to use a router with usb host support (see there), plug it jnto the switch and then upload a payload chainloadder/cfw (atmosphere).

Why does loading from a router make a difference? That is just another computer.

Last edited by smf,

mariogamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
TX claims they can load a payload from SD card in there new FAQ, so it is possible. Devs just need to figure out how
No. you first launch their payload in the dongle and THEN you load a payload off the sd xard, so basically what I said.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Simple things please simple minds.

Devs know how to load a payload from a payload, but the first needs to be loaded from USB.

Why does loading from a router make a difference? That is just another computer.
It is more compact and you csn pick it everywhere, but I see what you are saying :P

Last edited by mariogamer,

Wierd_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. you first launch their payload in the dongle and THEN you load a payload off the sd xard, so basically what I said.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It is more compact and you csn pick it everywhere, but I see what you are saying :P

There are USB enabled micro controllers (that have host mode stacks), and there are USB enabled SoMs, that are small enough to live inside the switch's case (For the latter, a VoCore2 is about the size and thickness of a US Quarter. It has way more oomph than is needed for the job, but is still small enough to fit. It has a teeeny tiny wifi interface, so it could be updated with a custom IPL from the switch's browser, if you so wished.) . The fact that the payload must be injected over USB is not that big a deal. I fully expect hardware modchips that poke an IPL over that bus to hit shelves any day now. You can build your own right now with COTS parts. (I just cannot solder to save my own life.) There are USB test pads on the switch, so installation would not be that big a deal to people who are competent with an iron.

The whole point of the Build Your Own Dongle thread was the draw attention to the fact that there are very tiny passive port-powered devices (or devices with integrated battery packs) that can be stuffed into your switch case, and can be used to do the coldboot on the go, and that you dont *NEED* TX's dongle for that convenience. EG, this kind of portability is not a TX exclusive. Not everyone has the skillset to build an OpenWRT flash image for a device, so I started the thread to coordinate and communicate with other like minded people to create "easy button flashed" hardware for the masses. Basically "Plug it in, and do these simple steps."

Hooking up an embedded microcontroller to the switch's PCB to do the injection is really cool and all, but most people cannot solder to save their own asses. (Myself included, but mine is due to a physical infirmity.)

Yes, they are basically tiny computers. Most people dont consider most of the SoC driven devices around them to be full computers even though they are. That is kinda the point. There are all kinds of fun devices you could use to deliver this payload, and still be portable. You are not limited to phones and PCs.

tides

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hello

i am trying to install hbl

can anyone send a link to an autorcm that will let me go into RCM so i can install hbl then uninstall autorcm so i'll just boot into normal fw?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto