Gaming Bootmgr is missing, messed with easybcd

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys, I've taken Windows 8 off my boot list, restarted and I got a message telling me that Bootmgr is missing, tried commands in a Windows recovery but to no avail. I already tried booting off diff Hard Drives (Rather than my SSD) I'm currently doing a re-image of a backup I made 2 days ago. Will it work? If not, what will? I don't have Windows disc atm just recovery disc.

Edit: Just finished restoring image, it fixed it, luckily...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you are going to be playing in this world (beta OSes and such) I highly suggest having a copy of Hirens http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd and UBCD http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
Both have inbuilt jump loaders (will force a boot of a certain partition) and MBR/boot loader fixing tools making them invaluable for this sort of thing.

Imaging is fine (kudos for making one- I wish more of my clients would set up such things) but the whole anything since last backup idea and the time taken not to mention it was probably only a few hundred bytes that needed changing. I will also say not all imaging programs will do boot sectors (most sensible ones will but some are purely file level).

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
I've got a weird problem with my current setup. (sorry to hijack a topic but its kind of similar)
I managed to restore my Boot Record after removing EasyBCD. Left to its own device my computer will boot into Windows 7 without any choice but I use a BURG loader on top of that and its found something rather strange. It appears that there are now 2 Windows loaders on my computer. One tries to boot WIn8 and fails while the other boots straight into Win7. The Win8 loader is the one that was originally on my computer (I can tell because my BURG config had it renamed to just Windows7), and the Win7 one has been added on onto my WIndows 7 C:/ drive. I've realised that my system has a SystemReserved partition. Should I try resetting the BCD on that and removing the BCD from my C\ drive somehow? I'm getting a bit worried about completely fecking over my PC with all this. It was so much easier when I dual-booted Win7 with XP. A simple fixmbr call removed the Win7 loader. This GUI boot is just a pain in the arse.

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've got a weird problem with my current setup. (sorry to hijack a topic but its kind of similar)
I managed to restore my Boot Record after removing EasyBCD. Left to its own device my computer will boot into Windows 7 without any choice but I use a BURG loader on top of that and its found something rather strange. It appears that there are now 2 Windows loaders on my computer. One tries to boot WIn8 and fails while the other boots straight into Win7. The Win8 loader is the one that was originally on my computer (I can tell because my BURG config had it renamed to just Windows7), and the Win7 one has been added on onto my WIndows 7 C:/ drive. I've realised that my system has a SystemReserved partition. Should I try resetting the BCD on that and removing the BCD from my C\ drive somehow? I'm getting a bit worried about completely fecking over my PC with all this. It was so much easier when I dual-booted Win7 with XP. A simple fixmbr call removed the Win7 loader. This GUI boot is just a pain in the arse.
Whats your goal? The way i see it, the windows 8 bootloader is within windows 8. you can configure it in windows so you don't see it but you can never delete it unless you delete windows.

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Installing windows 7 should overwrite windows 8 bootloader. For painless installation, install it on a vhd. when the bootloader is installed you can delete the vhd.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Not got a Win7 disc.
The problem stems from me having the System Reserved Partition which I had no idea was used to hold boot information. I'm going to add that Partition to the BCD to test and see whether it is what I think it is. If it is I'll try and rewrite the boot on it and remove the Boot from my C drive (if that's possible)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: good morning everyone