Homebrew blargSnes -- SNES emulator for the 3DS (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Okay then :)

I suppose when a true exploit for homebrew will be released, it might get things easier as more developpers will probably try to do emulators, and share their source.

Edit : I might have a request. Can you add an option to browse quickly into a big rom list files? Like, using right or left on the dpad to jump like from 100 roms to 100 others?

If you have a long list of roms and want to go to the end, it pretty time consuming. Or maybe using "L" or "R" to switch to the next letter?

It also seem a bit slow to reload the rom list when you use "select", dunno if it's because I have a big rom list or if it's a normal behavior?

Edit 2 : Found a game that don't work. "Kingyo Chuuihou! Tobidase Game Gakuen" (Japan). The emulator display the "Jaleco" logo, then nothing.

Edit 3 : "Secret of Mana" (France) also don't boot (and it seems to make the loader crash. I stopped it and try to restart it and I had to hard reboot the 3DS).

RowanDDR

SNES Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
I've recently been seeing complies from the Git on EmuCR.

Are these actually worth downloading or should i wait?

20141030 build from emucr.. street fighter character sprites are no longer corrupted, as expected from the developments a few pages back in this thread. :)

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
- If it can help, Seiken Densetsu 3 (Japan) show the Squaresoft logo, then black screen.
- Ring ni Kakero have some glitched sprites as the beginning and seems to lack the highlight effect in the menu.

And when a game crash (black screen), you can go back to the rom list but when you start another game, it seems to freeze on the rom list, and you have to do a hard reboot of the 3DS.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This.

The reason sound output is tricky is that
a) there is CSND but only a few system apps have access to it
b) there is the DSP but it's mostly unknown, and you need an official DSP binary which would be illegal to provide

I occasionally mess with the DSP but reverse-engineering it is a separate project. Considering the lack of an emulator that runs a game far enough to get useful DSP logs, I guess we will have to disassemble a DSP binary. That sucks. The assembly language for that DSP is ugly and weird.
Thanks for the info, StapleButter. That does sound like quite a pain... messing with assembly is never a welcome thing, I'd wager.

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh come on guys, the_randomizer Don't be such a little d*ck.

EmuCr is what it is. One person or two who compile a lot of emulation projects and lots of the stuff is alfa and beta stuff.
Dont be angry at them they did not write the code...

http://www.emucr.com/2014/10/blargsnes-git-20141030.html
And there we can see The_Randomizer's very mature comments.

Reactions: kyogre123

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yeah I like emucr too. All they do is compile publicly available code. I see no harm in doing that.
People know those builds are buggy and incomplete.
Anyone could get blargsnes source code, compile and post here it would be just the same.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well ok, sorry if I offended you. Be carefull with what you say if you want to keep yourself out of these situations

Well, okay, I had no right to say what I said, I merely assumed that those unstable builds of BlargSnes would somehow hurt his reputation, that people would complain that the builds were unstable, etc, etc. that's all. But, it is the internet, so, people just say whatever they want pretty much. That, and I've used crappy builds on there before. I look forward to seeing this emulator get more awesome by the day, as it is slowly, but steadily getting better, that much I can tell. Special chip emulation, maybe, maybe not, hard to know for sure if the 3DS can handle that.

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I think I found another "bug" (?). If you put some roms in the snes directory, they display fine. If then, you decide to put some new roms in the directory, the new ones aren't displayed.

I had to delete the whole directory and put all of them again at the same time to have them dislayed.

Maybe it's because of a cache function or something like that?

And my other question is "is it useful for you to list games that don't boot/crash yet or it's better to wait a bit before doing so?".

I saw some games that display some errors codes (they seem to be errors codes) on the bottom screen, I suppose it's useful to report them?

Personally, I'm open to test a lot of games if it's needed (now or later), but it would be faster with the functions I talked about in a previous post :) (right now, if you use the fullset roms, it takes a few minutes to go to the end of the list).

Arisotura

rise of melonism
OP
Trophies
Website
kuribo64.net
XP
Country
France
The issues with EmuCR are that
a) they do that without asking me first
b) they will potentially release builds that would better not be released
c) in the case of lolSNES they kept releasing them with outdated documentation

You either spend some time to do it properly or you don't do it, damnit.

Enough of this shit now. I'll just put a notice on the first post.

davhuit: that thing is really weird, because there is no such cache. Just make sure that Windows is done writing to your SD before taking it out-- Windows doesn't always write the files immediately. If your SD card reader doesn't have a LED indicating that writes are occuring, you can always try the safe remove thing.

About the error codes and such, yeah, report them please :)

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
now what about making sound work with an illegal and external DSP binary and ask the user to obtain it?
(just like BIOS files for PS2 emulators)

Arisotura

rise of melonism
OP
Trophies
Website
kuribo64.net
XP
Country
France
I have exactly that in mind. But it still requires reverse-engineering one of those binaries.

The binaries are found in games' ExeFS, and are normally easy enough to find (I could make a script/tool/whatever that extracts them for you).

It's also recommended to go with a third party game. They are more likely to use the 'standard' binary and not some specific fancy crap Nintendo made for themselves.

loco365

Trophies
XP
I'm working on getting your latest push to github to build, I just can't seem to get it to find makerom for some reason :/

Anyways, would you be fine with me making a thread here for unofficial builds (Once I get it working) so people can give you feedback towards a new final build (Note how I'm asking, unlike emucr)?

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Some tests I did (but I will be able to do a lot more once there will be a function to easily browse in a large list of roms, right now I just tested the first ones because it take a lot of time to scroll down) :

Don't boot/black screen :
'96 Zenkoku Koukou Soccer Senshuken (Japan)

Black screen after logo screens :
ABC Monday Night Football (USA)
Adventures of Batman & Robin, The (Europe)
Kingyo Chuuihou! - Tobidase! Game Gakuen (Japan)
Secret of Mana (France)

Crash in the starting menus :
A.S.P. - Air Strike Patrol (USA)

Crash after a few times in-game :
Accele Brid (Japan)

Graphic glitches :
None yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    13,600 MB/s though
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    I got a 980 pro iirc
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soldigms been pretty solid
    yeh 980 pro
    good enough tbf
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/gMNhZNI never heard about them but reviews are good
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, Crucial SSDs work fine. I have one installed in my Xbox.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Reviews seem positive.
    I believe I had some Patriot RAM running in a computer somewhere
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $250 is pretty solid considering
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With the refund it'll be about $150
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    6tb nvme pc ftw
    500 GB NVMe, 750 GB
    SATA SSD 1 TB HDD
    honestly I don't play pc games
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't game
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Once I buy this I'll be around 20tb worth of storage tho if we're talking all my drives
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All this crap I got and all I do is pick up the GabeDick to fiddle with his happy stick
    idk the total storage cap I have
    50 TB orso
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, I don't play PC games often. Mostly its all 90s-00s games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hm doing research quite possible my issue with this drive is bios related not detecting it fully
    run crystaldisk?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't think it would do much if gnome live even sees it as 2mb
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vmd issue possibly
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Vmd issue possibly