• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 3,492
  • Replies 21
  • Likes 1
D

Deleted User

OP
So according to this article Bayonetta 2 on the Switch runs at 720p and did not get upgraded to 1080p like Mario Kart 8. The textures on the Switch version do look slightly better and apparently it has a more stable framerate. Unless you really love the multiplayer modes on Bayonetta 2 I do not recommend people who own the Wii U game to re-buy it. Despite the slightly improved textures the game will look best on CEMU if your PC is up to the job.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...es_on_bayonetta_2_on_switch_compared_to_wii_u

Reactions: PacPera

Enigma Hall

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Each time I hear this type of news I have that feeling about people had exchange a wiiu for a wiiu tablet paying mutch more for this.
Nintendo could dominate the world. Our luck its only games market the great target.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't have a PC able to run CEMU, and I am not willing to invest in one, so I guess I will still play it on my Wii U in good enough quality. (I don't see me buying the Switch version either)

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
*raises hand slowly*

I... I care about graphics...
There's no excuse these days NOT to run all modern console games at 1080p/60Hz. I'm tired of the bullshit excuses for poor game optimizations.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There's no excuse these days NOT to run all modern console games at 1080p/60Hz. I'm tired of the bullshit excuses for poor game optimizations.
I agree with the 60Hz on this game, I don't care about 1080p that much.
Even if it is 720p or 1080p, I am still wasting the 4K display on duplicated pixels anyway.

Reactions: Jayro

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
*raises hand slowly*

I... I care about graphics...
There's only so much a unit like the Switch can do in such a tight form factor these days. Hell, almost half of its innards are just for the battery.

But, with regard to optimization, I do wonder. Who is handling these ports? Is it Platinum Games, or is it outsourced? Fast RMX is one of those games that made an enormous jump from Wii U to Switch, but then again, that was handled by Shin'en, who seriously know their stuff and were already pushing Wii U its limits with FRN but not quite with the Switch (which they mentioned was because they were dealing with a port, plus system issues that drained GPU resources). All I can say is that we've all seen the port of Bayonetta on PS3, and I certainly wouldn't want that to happen again. What is done on Switch is at least acceptable, but there may be possibilities that the Switch could certainly do more.

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
If it's running at 60fps i don't have an issue with it. I'd take frame rate over graphics these days. Even a lot of games on the (original) Xbox One & PS4 models don't go above 900p.

Don't get me wrong I do love really nice looking graphics, when something is 1080p 60fps it's always a bonus. However i've been playing games for so long i'd take gameplay and a solid frame rate over graphics now.

Reactions: Tomy Sakazaki

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
There's only so much a unit like the Switch can do in such a tight form factor these days. Hell, almost half of its innards are just for the battery.

But, with regard to optimization, I do wonder. Who is handling these ports? Is it Platinum Games, or is it outsourced? Fast RMX is one of those games that made an enormous jump from Wii U to Switch, but then again, that was handled by Shin'en, who seriously know their stuff and were already pushing Wii U its limits with FRN but not quite with the Switch (which they mentioned was because they were dealing with a port, plus system issues that drained GPU resources). All I can say is that we've all seen the port of Bayonetta on PS3, and I certainly wouldn't want that to happen again. What is done on Switch is at least acceptable, but there may be possibilities that the Switch could certainly do more.
From what I've seen from the games I own on Switch, the games made for the Switch exclusively have sharp textures. Just look at Xenoblade 2 or Mario. Ports always seem to suffer from blurry textures and overly-compressed music to the point it's almost unenjoyable (Doom) or have muddy, wet/glossy textures all-around (Zelda).

GunzOfNavarone

Trophies
XP
Country
I think for handheld mode 720P is just fine. That said, I cannot understand why it would not run in 1080P when docked, considering this is a 4 year old game and the switch being a more powerful console.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I think for handheld mode 720P is just fine. That said, I cannot understand why it would not run in 1080P when docked, considering this is a 4 year old game and the switch being a more powerful console.
For a game like Bayonetta 2, I believe it utilizes a LOT of transparency effects that eat away at RAM bandwidth. As it is, the Switch's DDR4 RAM is capable of 25GB/s whereas the Wii U's main DDR3 RAM is 12.8GB/s with 32MB of eDRAM ranging around 250 - 500 GB/s. The game's render targets can be held in eDRAM to offset the massive amounts of reading/writing caused from transparency effects, leaving the main RAM to handle general gaming calculations and reading of texture/model data. The Switch has to do all those reads and writes on the same RAM that, while faster than Wii U's main RAM, is slower than Wii U's eDRAM.

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendolife's video capture setting on the wii u version are most likely effed up because I'm literally playing bayonetta 2 on the wii u right now and it looks identical to the switch version in that video and not as washed out they make it out to be.

I googled up some random bayo 2 wii u footage and it just like the switch version in nintendolifes video so yeah something is definitely wrong with Nintendolifes wii u capture settings, heres the video I was watching

Last edited by Eddypikachu,
Reactions: kumikochan

GunzOfNavarone

Trophies
XP
Country
For a game like Bayonetta 2, I believe it utilizes a LOT of transparency effects that eat away at RAM bandwidth. As it is, the Switch's DDR4 RAM is capable of 25GB/s whereas the Wii U's main DDR3 RAM is 12.8GB/s with 32MB of eDRAM ranging around 250 - 500 GB/s. The game's render targets can be held in eDRAM to offset the massive amounts of reading/writing caused from transparency effects, leaving the main RAM to handle general gaming calculations and reading of texture/model data. The Switch has to do all those reads and writes on the same RAM that, while faster than Wii U's main RAM, is slower than Wii U's eDRAM.

Interesting! Are you a developer by any chance? That's quite a knowledge you possess there.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Interesting! Are you a developer by any chance? That's quite a knowledge you possess there.
Not officially, nor am I a major contributor to homebrew. Just a guy who has done some graphical programming on PC with enough tinkering of Nintendo handhelds since the GBA to get an idea of how things work and then using internet info to get the rest to build a hypothesis. Haven't touched any console programming, but they generally have the same principles.

Reactions: GunzOfNavarone

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: ye