Nintendo Switch EMMC nand upgrade guide

Originally written by Nathan Bunn
http://www.nathanbunn.com/NandUpgradeSteps/

archived version:

https://web.archive.org/web/20190310080832/http://www.nathanbunn.com/NandUpgradeSteps/

Nintendo Switch EMMC nand upgrade guide​

First, Thanks to Paul for all his help and patience and the guide this is based and thanks to bnstemp from duowan for his additional work.
Paul’s guide did a great job on the hardware side, and in fact I ended up sending off to a pro to get the EMMC chipped switched over, so I wont go over that here. I will start this guide presuming you have a 256 EMMC already soldered onto your replacement daughter board.
The 256GB chip I used is a sandisk model,sold as SDINBDA4-256G This was the only one I could find in stock, in single chip amounts.

1671196948722.png

I will also presume you understand switch CFM, RCM, payload sending etc, and have a working hekate SD card. There are great switch CFW setup guides out there already if not so I suggest you read them. I will also assume basic Linux Knowledge, I won’t go over making a Ubuntu Live USB, etc, but trust Google to help if anyone gets stuck.

Preparation​

The first thing you need to do is make a full backup of your current EMMC. Boot into Hekate, and under tools - backup boot0/1 and raw nand onto your micro SD card. I recommend a 64GB+ micro SD here, so you get a nice single backup file, with plenty of space. You will also need to get your bis_key_03. This is a console specific key which you can get use lockpick, or biskeydump.bin from RCM mode and then opening the prod.keys file or similar on your PC. You need this to read the switch user partition from windows later on.

Hardware​

Open your switch, i followed the iFixit guide. Remove the back, then the SD card reader, and then the shiny metal shield under it, then you need simply need to use a plastic prying tool to lift up the EMMC board, careful as there is double sided tape holding it down, and replace it with your new board. I replaced the double sided tape too just incase.
Then put your switch back together again, following the iFixit guide in reverse.

Software​

Once you have it all back together, then boot Johns custom version of hakate, linked in the above guide, and under show hardware, check that EMMC is detected. This makes sure your soldering was good and the EMMC is working.
Now remove your SD card and put it in your PC, copy boot0,1 and rawnand.bin into the backup/xxxx/restore folder. where xxxx is a random folder name for your switch.

The put the SD card back into the switch, and go to tools, restore, and restore boot0/1 and then restore rawnand.bin. This will take a while to copy over and then verify, get a cup of tea and come back later.

Once this process is finished, you can shutdown your switch, then try booting normally.

You should be able to load into the switch system, and all your data should be there, however the disk will still only show 26GB, like before, we need to expand the partition to fill the new drive. However since the drive is encrypted, we cannot just wipe it and remake it, we need to both expand the partition, and then format the partition inside the encryption to get the switch to see the new extended size.

For this process you need a linux PC/linux USB bootdisk (ubuntu recommended), and then a windows PC to open the encrypted partition and format it to FAT32.

You will also need the memloader payload, to make the switch emmc be seen over USB by the PC, and also later on hacdiskmount from the same site for windows.

First send the memloader payload to your switch as you normally would, the switch will show some text and offer options of what to mount.

On a Linux Machine.​

Now boot into Linux, and open a root terminal. At the terminal type

to list all connected hardrives and storage media. Make a note of the letters available, /dev/sda, /dev/sdb etc.
Next connect your switch to the linux PC via USB, and using the volume keys on the switch highlight the EMMC option and press the power button to select and mount the EMMC partition on the linux machine.
Now run fdisk -l again to show all the hardrives connected to your PC, and notice which one of the same size as your new drive, was not there before. This is the drive you are working on, be very careful to get this right, as any mistake here can cause irreparable damage to your windows install. You are looking for the drive with 11 partitions, the first 9 being small, then one 2.5GB, then the final 11th being 26GB. All of type unknown. See a copy of my partition layout for the switch EMMC below.

Disk /dev/sdb: 233 GiB, 250148290560 bytes, 488570880 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: EDD7049E-B2D3-4067-B3D9-E5A8F398258F

Device Start End Sectors Size Type
/dev/sdb1 34 8191 8158 4M unknown
/dev/sdb2 8192 16383 8192 4M unknown
/dev/sdb3 16384 32767 16384 8M unknown
/dev/sdb4 32768 49151 16384 8M unknown
/dev/sdb5 49152 65535 16384 8M unknown
/dev/sdb6 65536 81919 16384 8M unknown
/dev/sdb7 81920 98303 16384 8M unknown
/dev/sdb8 98304 114687 16384 8M unknown
/dev/sdb9 114688 245759 131072 64M unknown
/dev/sdb10 245760 5488639 5242880 2.5G unknown
/dev/sdb11 5488640 60014591 54525952 26G unknown

For me this was /dev/sdb, for the rest of the guide i will write /dev/sdX to remind you to substitute whichever drive letter your switch was assigned.

gdisk /dev/sdX

this opens the gdisk application, and points it at your switch emmc. If you are offered the chance to correct the start position of the drive or the partition table, press y to accept.

Type i, enter, then 11 to show the information for the 11th partition on the drive. Including the GUID, and the unique GUID, we need to mirror all these fields exactly later. Copy all this information into a text editor for easier copy and pasting later.
Mine looked like this:

Partition number (1-11): 11
Partition GUID code: 2B777F63-E842-47AF-94C4-25A7F18B2280 (Unknown)
Partition unique GUID: 5561E2C3-9B40-4D90-A546-20EB6C0151FC
First sector: 5488640 (at 2.6 GiB)
Last sector: 60014591 (at 28.6 GiB)
Partition size: 54525952 sectors (26.0 GiB)
Attribute flags: 0000000000000001
Partition name: 'USER'

Next we need to delete the 11th partition, the user partition, don’t worry, this wont delete the data underneath (although remember you also have the backup of your nand anyway incase something goes wrong). In gdisk with your switch nand selected type:

to delete the partition. Then write these changes to the disk with

you will see the following warning: “Warning! Secondary header is placed too early on the disk! Do you want to correct this problem? (Y/N):” Enter y, then y again on the final check to write those changes to the disk.
We now need to refresh the partition layout with kpartx, so enter

kpartx /dev/sdX

*if you don't have kpartx you can install it by typing sudo apt install kpartx

which will refresh the partition layout, updating it with the new changes in size and layout.
Now re-enter gdisk, making sure to specify the switch emmc from before.

gdisk /dev/sdX

Now create a new partition, in the exact same place as the one we just deleted,

Command (? for help):

the tool will automatically use partition 11, and accept the default for start and end location, noting that the end location is now your new disk size, 6xxxxxx for 64gb, 11xxxxx for 128gb and 24xxxxxx for 240GB.
When prompted for the partition type, copy and paste the partition GUID we made a note of earlier. (not the one labeled unique GUID). The one that ends in (UNKNOWN). For me that was Partition GUID code: 2B777F63-E842-47AF-94C4-25A7F18B2280 (Unknown)
Now the new partition is created, we need to change the partitions unique GUID code back to the same as it was before, so the switch knows which partition to use. We do this by typing

x, to enter advanced mode, c for change partition GUID, and 11 for the USER partition we are working with. The prompt will change to

Enter the partition's new unique GUID ('R' to randomize):

and here we enter the unique GUID for the partition that we made a note of before. ( for me it is ‘Partition unique GUID: 5561E2C3-9B40-4D90-A546-20EB6C0151FC’)

*your actual number will be different, but in this example, it would be just 5561E2C3-9B40-4D90-A546-20EB6C0151FC

We also need to set the partition name, so press m for the main menu

then c for change partition name, 11 for the partition to change, and then set the name to USER in capital letters.

c
USER

Finally we need to set the attributes for the partition, to set it back to system so that the switch won’t notice we were here. x for advanced, then a for attributes, and 11 to chose the partition, and then toggle attribute 0 to set the partition to system.

Expert command (? for help): a
Partition number (1-11): 11
Known attributes are:
0: system partition
1: hide from EFI
2: legacy BIOS bootable
60: read-only
62: hidden
63: do not automount

Attribute value is 0000000000000000. Set fields are:
No fields set

Toggle which attribute field (0-63, 64 or <Enter> to exit): 0
Have enabled the 'system partition' attribute.
Attribute value is 0000000000000001. Set fields are:
0 (system partition)

Toggle which attribute field (0-63, 64 or <Enter> to exit):

press enter to exit.

We are all done here, but finally we can print the partition information again with

and compare this with the values we saw originally, it should be identical except for the lat sector and partition size fields, which should represent the new size. If any of these are different go back now and double check your work until they match exactly. Once you are done enter w to write, and y that you are sure.

Now you can unplug your switch, press the power button for 5 seconds to exit memloader and then press the power button to boot your switch. It should boot normally into the switch OS, with all your saves and content preserved from before. ##If at this point you have any errors, or the switch won’t boot, go back and try the steps again right from restore your rawnand.bin, as if it wont boot correctly now, the next steps won’t fix that.

Now we need access to a windows PC with HacDiskMount and fat32format.exe.

On a windows PC.​

Shutdown your switch and reboot to RCM mode. Push the memloader payload again, connect the cable to your windows PC, and using volume and power mount the EMMC partition over USB.

In windows open HacDiskMount as administrator, click file and open physical drive.

Choose your switch drive, ignore the error that it does not seem like a full emmc dump.

You should see the 11 partitions listed here, click the USER partition we just remade, and you will see a prompt for encryption keys.

Take the bis_key_03 value from your prod.keys that you dumped earlier, and enter the left half on the top line, and the right half on the line below, then click test.

You should see a message that the was successful and the encryption was opened.

If you do not get a success message stop now, and double check/redump your prod.keys.

If you continue without opening the encryption you lose all your switch data.

Once the keys are verified, install the driver, and mount the drive to an empty drive letter.

In this example i will use the G: drive.

Open windows explorer and copy all the files from the G drive onto your local machine, this is a backup of your saves and settings, do not lose this.

Now we need to go to the location where fat32format.exe is located, run an administrator prompt and enter

fat32format.exe G

This will wipe your switch user partition and reformat it, using the new partition data we created to give us the full size of the new USER partition.

Once this finished we now should see the new EMMC size in windows explorer for the G drive, and we can copy back our backup of the saves and settings we made before the format.

This copy is slow, and if it fails I recommend deleting all the files and re-copying folder by folder until it completes successfully.

Wait 30 seconds for any background file transfers to complete, then in HacDiskMount unmount the drive, and after a few seconds disconnect your switch.

Hold the power button on your switch for 5 seconds to exit memloader, then cross your fingers and press the power button, the switch should boot up normally, but in the settings menu, show your new EMMC size. Success!

If you get a black nintendo error screen, go back to the rawnand.bin stage and start the whole process again, it may take a couple of tries for the stars to align and every step to go flawlessly.

Enjoy your new switch storage space!

Originally Written on January 31, 2019

Last edited by binkinator,

l7777

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Outstanding work.

Some thoughts, It seems like there is room to streamline. I see a nand backup, nand restore which makes sense to get all the partition info set. Then another backup/restore of the user files via the Windows file manager. Think it would be possible to:
  1. Get the user partition details (GUID & Attributes) from old eMMC
  2. Backup eMMC BOOT0 & BOOT1, eMMC SYS, eMMC USER
  3. Restore the eMMC BOOT0 & BOOT1 and eMMC SYS partitions
  4. Create the extended user partition with the attributes above and format fat32
Not knowing exactly how Hekate restores the eMMC USER data I see two possibilities at this point.

First:
  1. Mount the newly extended user partition in Windows
  2. Extract the data files from the eMMC USER backup and copy to the extended partition.
Second:
  1. Restore the eMMC USER partition from Hekate.
This is where testing would be needed. It's obvious that eMMC RAW GPP backup/restore includes partition information as it can be applied to an empty NAND and end up with the correct partition structure. Since eMMC SYS and eMMC USER only backup parts of the RAW GPP they may not include partition structure. If that is the case, Hekate should simply be restoring data to an already created partition. This of course may also mean that we would have to create the entire eMMC partition structure before initially restoring the boot and sys partitions. Still might ultimately save some time. Now I'm tempted to get a spare daughter board and just try to clone the existing eMMC using various strategies.

Another possibility might be to do the entire backup/restore via Linux.
  1. Mount the original eMMC with memloader
  2. Backup/save the partition structure
  3. Backup the data of each partition with dd
  4. Power down Switch and insert new eMMC
  5. Restore partition structure
  6. Extend the user partition
  7. Restore each partition from the backups.
Apologies in advance as I'm not as proficient with Linux as Windows but if my understanding of dd is correct, it will backup the raw data without caring about file system structure. This means you don't have to decrypt the user data to backup and restore it. The encrypted bits will simply be backed up and restored. This should be very similar to what Hekate is using for backing up the RAW GPP. If memory serves something like dd if=/dev/sdX1 of="partition_1.bin" would do the job for each individual partition.

Last edited by l7777,
  • Love
Reactions: binkinator

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Outstanding work.

Some thoughts, It seems like there is room to streamline. I see a nand backup, nand restore which makes sense to get all the partition info set. Then another backup/restore of the user files via the Windows file manager. Think it would be possible to:
  1. Get the user partition details (GUID & Attributes) from old eMMC
  2. Backup eMMC BOOT0 & BOOT1, eMMC SYS, eMMC USER
  3. Restore the eMMC BOOT0 & BOOT1 and eMMC SYS partitions
  4. Create the user partition with the attributes above and format fat32
Not knowing exactly how Hekate restores the eMMC USER data I see two possibilities at this point.

First:
  1. Mount the newly extended user partition in Windows
  2. Extract the data file from the eMMC USER backup and copy to the extended partition.
Second:
  1. Restore the eMMC USER partition from Hekate.
This is where testing would be needed. It's obvious that eMMC RAW GPP backup/restore includes partition information as it can be applied to an empty NAND and end up with the correct partition structure. Since eMMC SYS and eMMC USER only backup parts of the RAW GPP they may not include partition structure. If that is the case, Hekate should simply be restoring data to an already created partition. This of course may also mean that we would have to create the entire eMMC partition structure before initially restoring the boot and sys partitions. Still might ultimately save some time. Now I'm tempted to get a spare daughter board and just try to clone the existing eMMC using various strategies.

Another possibility might be to do the entire backup/restore via Linux.
  1. Mount the original eMMC with memloader
  2. Backup/save the partition structure
  3. Backup the data of each partition with dd
  4. Power down Switch and insert new eMMC
  5. Restore partition structure
  6. Extend the user partition
  7. Restore each partition from the backups.
Apologies in advance as I'm not as proficient with Linux as Windows but if my understanding of dd is correct, it will backup the raw data without caring about file system structure. This means you don't have to decrypt the user data to backup and restore it. The encrypted bits will simply be backed up and restored. This should be very similar to what Hekate is using for backing up the RAW GPP. If memory serves something like dd -if /dev/sdX -of "partition_X.bin" would do the job for each individual partition.

This is great feedback. I haven't gone through it in detail yet but seriously, Thank You!

I tried to be as true to the source as possible but appreciate any and all input to improve the original work.

I'm working on another project at the moment but will come back and give this a go!

Thanks again!

l7777

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is great feedback. I haven't gone through it in detail yet but seriously, Thank You!

I tried to be as true to the source as possible but appreciate any and all input to improve the original work.

I'm working on another project at the moment but will come back and give this a go!

Thanks again!
You're quite welcome. Thank you for being so detailed with your work. Happy to chat more if you get back to testing.

I'd love to replace the eMMC on my OLED but need to practice my BGA soldering skills. :D I do have my V2 switch that I could play with though. If I understand your guide correctly it seems like we can directly access the eMMC via the memloader payload. That opens lots of options for low level operations that won't care about or disrupt the encrypted files. Back in the TiVo days it was a similar process to add storage space. Connect the original and larger drives to a Linux system, duplicate the partition structure on the larger drive, then use dd to copy the existing recordings to the larger drive in their encrypted format.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're quite welcome. Thank you for being so detailed with your work. Happy to chat more if you get back to testing.

I'd love to replace the eMMC on my OLED but need to practice my BGA soldering skills. :D I do have my V2 switch that I could play with though. If I understand your guide correctly it seems like we can directly access the eMMC via the memloader payload. That opens lots of options for low level operations that won't care about or disrupt the encrypted files. Back in the TiVo days it was a similar process to add storage space. Connect the original and larger drives to a Linux system, duplicate the partition structure on the larger drive, then use dd to copy the existing recordings to the larger drive in their encrypted format.
That’s exactly the case here. Linux skills come in really handy.

You can get a cheap emmc board from aliexpress and practice bga153 reballing on the smaller 32G chip. Plus you get a free board to use for your 256G when you’re ready for the real deal. If you don’t have a V1 (to inject memloader into RCM) you will need a couple cheap adaptors so you can mount the eMMC on a Linux box over usb. @evil_santa posted a link in the 256G thread. I’m will find it and stick it here.

E: found it

https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-oled-256gb-nand-upgrade.608377/page-2#post-9762068

evil_santa

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for this. I should have included them AND the link to #switchroot wiki:

https://wiki.switchroot.org/en/Documentation/EMMC

Absolutely crucial info for finishing the job.

E: for #switchroot Patreon/PayPal and Discord links be sure to visit their front page too!

https://wiki.switchroot.org/

(I am not a shill for #Switchroot…they are just generally good guys.)

MC_Roly has also a great emmc adapter

Love the CLI instructions on the back of the PCB
And if you don't want to do build your own 256gb emmc board I can build one fore you.
But it's unfortunately not cheap 120€ + shipping. And only for erista/Mariko whit separate emmc board.
This is not a bad deal, really. You will spend multiples of this on gear and supplies if you don’t already have it on hand.

@binkinator
Great guide my friend, really good work
Appreciated…but I stand on the shoulders of giants and the original author, Nathan Bunn.

Reactions: peteruk

marhalloweenvt

Trophies
XP
Country
Hello Coach,
I am having a plan to upgrade internal emmc of my Erista switch. Because this is my first attempt in this scene so I will take a little step first.
I have read many topic about this, included your guide/your referent links, and I am quite confident with knowledge. The only reason's holding me back is Practice. So, I would like to start first with the easy findable and cost-effective emmc module first (64gb). I have experiences with solder station and rework station but I have never done bga before, mostly qfp, tqfp packages. So dealing with bga will be a whole new level which I would like to archive.
There are some question I would like to ask your opinion, please give me some advice if you have freetime:
  1. Emmc module: Can I bought what ever 64gb module that I can find which have exactly BGA-153 package? I will search modules of brands: Samsung > Hynix > Toshiba, Sandisk

2. Beside below module to read/write a blank emmc, do I need any extra piece of hardware to make process easier?
    View attachment 343538
As I understand (please correct me if I'm wrong), I will need to solder blank emmc into above module, then plug it in my Erista switch to restore everything from backup of my old emmc. Is this right? I would like to keep original module + original emmc for backup plan. So I don't mind if I need to buy a spare of above module.

Thank you for your valued time,
marhalloweenvt

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello Coach,
I am having a plan to upgrade internal emmc of my Erista switch. Because this is my first attempt in this scene so I will take a little step first.
I have read many topic about this, included your guide/your referent links, and I am quite confident with knowledge. The only reason's holding me back is Practice. So, I would like to start first with the easy findable and cost-effective emmc module first (64gb). I have experiences with solder station and rework station but I have never done bga before, mostly qfp, tqfp packages. So dealing with bga will be a whole new level which I would like to archive.

I had never done anything surface mount prior to modifying my Switch. Did a Trinket M0 mod on my Erista and gradually made my way to eMMC. If you’ve been floating qfp packages with hot air you’re in way better position than I was (and probably even better than I am now tbh.)

There are some question I would like to ask your opinion, please give me some advice if you have freetime:
  1. Emmc module: Can I bought what ever 64gb module that I can find which have exactly BGA-153 package? I will search modules of brands: Samsung > Hynix > Toshiba, Sandisk

@evil_santa had a shopping list of parts in another thread that was perfect…let me find that for you. Mine is a Samsung.

2. Beside below module to read/write a blank emmc, do I need any extra piece of hardware to make process easier?

@evil_santa to the rescue again here (starting to see a pattern?) He posted the exact reader I bought from AliExpress.

E: found the link! Treasure trove of information. The new stuff he posted above is very interesting as well.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-oled-256gb-nand-upgrade.608377/page-2#post-9762068

As I understand (please correct me if I'm wrong), I will need to solder blank emmc into above module, then plug it in my Erista switch to restore everything from backup of my old emmc. Is this right?

This is correct. Solder chip to new blank board. I actually bought a 32G board so I could practice on it without fear of torching anything of value. I removed the chip, reballed it and blew it back on with hot air at least 3 times before I started on my 256G chip. When I was ready, I used the same board. They are really cheap on AliExpress.

I would like to keep original module + original emmc for backup plan. So I don't mind if I need to buy a spare of above module.

Thank you for your valued time,
marhalloweenvt
You bet man. Will be interested in hearing how you get on!

marhalloweenvt

Trophies
XP
Country
I had never done anything surface mount prior to modifying my Switch. Did a Trinket M0 mod on my Erista and gradually made my way to eMMC. If you’ve been floating qfp packages with hot air you’re in way better position than I was (and probably even better than I am now tbh.)

@evil_santa had a shopping list of parts in another thread that was perfect…let me find that for you. Mine is a Samsung.

@evil_santa to the rescue again here (starting to see a pattern?) He posted the exact reader I bought from AliExpress.

E: found the link! Treasure trove of information. The new stuff he posted above is very interesting as well.

This is correct. Solder chip to new blank board. I actually bought a 32G board so I could practice on it without fear of torching anything of value. I removed the chip, reballed it and blew it back on with hot air at least 3 times before I started on my 256G chip. When I was ready, I used the same board. They are really cheap on AliExpress.

You bet man. Will be interested in hearing how you get on!
Thanks, Coach. Currently from work to home, I am using my Switch as a mini PC (running L4T ubuntu of switchroot) and handheld gaming machine at the same time. But the limitation of capacity made me swapping sd card all the time (quite annoying for me).
FB8053D3-49C5-45DC-BA3D-A5E0FAE56748.jpeg

Pls ignore the crack, yesterday night I had a very bad trip with 18+ liquid

The price of bigger sd card compares with the whole process above nearly the same, but whoelse don’t want more fun? :grog:
I am going to order those thing to prepare for my holiday 🤤
Will let you know the result, coach.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, Coach. Currently from work to home, I am using my Switch as a mini PC (running L4T ubuntu of switchroot) and handheld gaming machine at the same time. But the limitation of capacity made me swapping sd card all the time (quite annoying for me).

With this chip in, you certainly won’t need to be swapping anymore.

View attachment 343539
Pls ignore the crack, yesterday night I had a very bad trip with 18+ liquid

Not that bad…it’s not in the main viewing area.

The price of bigger sd card compares with the whole process above nearly the same, but whoelse don’t want more fun? :grog:
I am going to order those thing to prepare for my holiday 🤤
Will let you know the result, coach.

LOL…if you read further back in the thread Inlinked above you will see my reasoning for NOT doing this mod. It’s a bit impractical and I went on to install Switchroot Android as well to help “justify” the project but at the end of the day we do these things because they are fun, not because they are practical. :-)

marhalloweenvt

Trophies
XP
Country
It’s a bit impractical and I went on to install Switchroot Android as well to help “justify” the project but at the end of the day we do these things because they are fun, not because they are practical. :-)
We are talking with one voice, mate. Who care about "Practical"?!?
We care about the fun and skill improvement in our free time in joy.

• Love

zal16

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm glad my thread of 256gb upgrade inspired this wonderful tutorial.

I still have my OLED Switch, with the same 256GB as a Samsung eMMC, working perfectly. But I don't think I would do it again as I have poor reballing skills.

• Love

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad my thread on the 256gb upgrade inspired this wonderful tutorial.

Said thread that started it all: https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-oled-256gb-nand-upgrade.608377/

I still have my OLED Switch, with the same 256GB as a Samsung eMMC, working perfectly. But I don't think I would do it again as I have poor reballing skills.

I’m on my second one now. Gaining confidence to do my Son’s Switch next. His Mother will kill me if I muck it up. She’s a doting Mother and he’s an only child (ironically because of my poor reballing skills.)

tabormeister

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey there - who did you send it to to get it done? Trying to find someone willing to do a similar upgrade on Pixel C (same SoC as switch)
Post automatically merged:

Hi there - who did you send the switch to for emmc swap? I'm trying to find someone willing to help me do the same to a Pixel C (same SoC as OG switch)

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey there - who did you send it to to get it done? Trying to find someone willing to do a similar upgrade on Pixel C (same SoC as switch)
Post automatically merged:

Hi there - who did you send the switch to for emmc swap? I'm trying to find someone willing to help me do the same to a Pixel C (same SoC as OG switch)

This thread is about doing it ourselves. There are some folks here that might do it for you for a fee. You could also just take it to a phone/electronics repair shop. eMMC swaps are a pretty common thing they should know how to do.

tabormeister

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This thread is about doing it ourselves. There are some folks here that might do it for you for a fee. You could also just take it to a phone/electronics repair shop. eMMC swaps are a pretty common thing they should know how to do.
Totally understood! Pixel C doesn't have a daughter board, so a bit more difficult. I've contacted lots of shops and haven't found one that does eMMC swaps yet - If someone knows one, or is interested in helping me build a FrankenBoard I can supply a lot of parts and beer money 😂 apologies for the thread hijack, casting a wide net on his.

evil_santa

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Totally understood! Pixel C doesn't have a daughter board, so a bit more difficult. I've contacted lots of shops and haven't found one that does eMMC swaps yet - If someone knows one, or is interested in helping me build a FrankenBoard I can supply a lot of parts and beer money 😂 apologies for the thread hijack, casting a wide net on his.
Looks like you are located in the US right?
Maybe you find a guy on menas discord who can swap your emmc.
https://discord.gg/pheeeeenom

ChrisPowers

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been thinking about doing a 2tb upgrade on my OLED with a Kingston EMMC256-IY29-5B101. Do you know if this is a good idea? I have no idea what the cache size on this thing is and I'm pretty tempted to roll the dice on it. I'd link to a digikey listing, but I can't really do that right now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto