Hacking Baka & Test Portable - English Translation Project

Kotomine Kirei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, No, Maybe...
On one side accurate translation is a good thing, on the other side if it would take too much time and make too many problems, better leave it as is and just add a "readme" file with note with "this-and-this Kanji means Fumizuki Academy".
It pains me to see sometimes OFFICIAL translations going with "translation" as in "let's put completelly diffrent word here and hope nobody will notice"...
Also leaving just "Fumizuki" is like having let's say "Computer" instead of "Computer School", not too good idea, right?
Plus, if Fumizuki means July (Translate Google may or may not be wrong~) then it makes even more for argument of NOT leaving just word Fumizuki, because we get "July" instead of "July Academy".

If they keep it as Fumizuki, I think that it would be okay to use it without "Academy" added to it.
Though having Fumizuki appear during its first mention as "Fumizuki Academy" might be better if it is possible.
Also, if I am correct, proper nouns normally stay mostly the same even when translated.

If they did go with "July Academy", they could probably just abbreviate it.

With the example of "Computer School", since "computer" is recognized as a common noun that would be somewhat odd to see by itself, but it could still work since it is "Computer" rather than "computer", which shows that it is being used as a proper noun rather than as a common noun.
Also, people often use the names of organizations without anything else (e.g. Harvard, Yale, and Princeton; Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo) and still know what they are.

With "July Academy" however, it is more complicated, as July is already a proper noun that commonly refers to a month and so could possibly cause confusion.
Though, as I said, they could just go with a shorter form of it.

Last edited by Kotomine Kirei,

Nyandere2320

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
If they keep it as Fumizuki, I think that it would be okay to use it without "Academy" added to it.
Though having Fumizuki appear during its first mention as "Fumizuki Academy" might be better if it is possible.
Also, if I am correct, proper nouns normally stay mostly the same even when translated.

If they did go with "July Academy", they could probably just abbreviate it.

With the example of "Computer School", since "computer" is recognized as a common noun that would be somewhat odd to see by itself, but it could still work since it is "Computer" rather than "computer", which shows that it is being used as a proper noun rather than as a common noun.
Also, people often use the names of organizations without anything else (e.g. Harvard, Yale, and Princeton; Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo) and still know what they are.

With "July Academy" however, it is more complicated, as July is already a proper noun that commonly refers to a month and so could possibly cause confusion.
Though, as I said, they could just go with a shorter form of it.
Since, well i havent played the baka to test portable game, this is just based on assumption, but in the prologue it would be logical for them to have said Fumizuki Academy, again, this is just based off assumption, but if it does tell you that in the prologue, all of this wouldnt really be an issue because then everyone would have been given the context of what they used Fumizuki for...... just an example: This is Fumizuki Academy, one of the worlds finest prep schools "baka to test, season 1, episode 1, litterally the 1st thing they say," will then give them the right context of the word, and would stop all of this pointless debate XD.
All i can say, is wait for me to watch the prologue video and ill see if this theory solves it (if you havent already)

.-. it doesnt.. fuuuuuuuu******

Last edited by Nyandere2320,

Kotomine Kirei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since, well i havent played the baka to test portable game, this is just based on assumption, but in the prologue it would be logical for them to have said Fumizuki Academy, again, this is just based off assumption, but if it does tell you that in the prologue, all of this wouldnt really be an issue because then everyone would have been given the context of what they used Fumizuki for...... just an example: This is Fumizuki Academy, one of the worlds finest prep schools "baka to test, season 1, episode 1, litterally the 1st thing they say," will then give them the right context of the word, and would stop all of this pointless debate XD.
All i can say, is wait for me to watch the prologue video and ill see if this theory solves it (if you havent already)

.-. it doesnt.. fuuuuuuuu******

That is unfortunate.
When is Fumizuki first mentioned in the game though?

Abu_Senpai

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
i Came across some news today which i figured any fan of Baka & test would want to now about so here you go:

Baka and Test Complete Blu-ray Disc Box Set in Japan Features New 'Mini Anime'

The official website for the anime series had originally announced the boxset with the new anime work on July 28.

baka-test-kv.jpg

The box set will include all 13 episodes of Baka and Test - Summon the Beasts, all 13 episodes of baka and test - Summon the Beasts 2 and both episodes of the Baka and test - Summon the Beasts Ova. However, The set will also include five unaired anime that featured on the previous season 1 Blu-ray Disc and DVD release, and two unaired anime that featured on the previous season 2 Blu-ray Disc and DVD release.

The Blu-ray Disc box set ships on November 29, and retails for 32,000 yen (about US$290).

Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.cc/news...-set-in-japan-features-new-mini-anime/.120881

I am stoked to watch these new episodes!:wub:

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I responded to someone's PM, so I decided I should post this here too so everyone could get an update:

First off, thank you for sticking around all this time. It really does mean a lot. It's fans like you that make me want to keep going and not just abandon the project.

So, to address your question:

The project is currently stalled, and it is entirely my fault. I have been incredibly busy with school and work over the past year, maybe longer. My classes got a lot more difficult and time-consuming, and I got promoted at my job, which took away a lot more of the free time I had to work on the project. I have been wrangling with depression and anxiety, too, and it's really killed my drive to do any work on this project, even when I do have some free time. I know at this point I'm probably just making excuses, but I am very disappointed in myself for not being more diligent about working on the project.

Here is what has been done so far and needs to be done:
  • About 95% of the graphics have been translated and inserted; the last 5% are graphics that appear when you unlock a new character, and some other miscellaneous texts.
    • Another big thing about graphics, however, is that some of them need to be re-aligned after they've been translated. This requires modifying the game's asm code, which is a very tedious task (but, thanks to my schooling in Computer Science, it's more doable for me now). Text realignment will take a lot of work, but I feel that it is necessary in order to make the game look and feel polished. After all, some of the misaligned text shows up very frequently.
  • There is a short video that plays in the intro scene that contains a hell of a lot of Japanese text. This can be seen at 2:50 in this video. The text is an in-depth description of the game's rules and mechanics. I want to translate it, but I'd need to finish transcribing it, which is difficult because the video quality is horrible. Then I need to figure out how to create a translated video and convert it to the proper format (I've looked into this before and it is NOT easy :(). I've transcribed maybe half of it?
  • All of the scripts for the story mode and board game have been "translated," but most of them still need to be revised to not sound engrish-y.
    • Only Akihisa's story, Mizuki's story and the prologue have been revised and inserted.
    • There is one line in Akihisa's story that I need to have looked at by someone fluent in Japanese.
    • Half of Shouko's story has been revised. A bit of Kouta's and a bit of Yuuko's stories have been revised. None of these have been inserted.
    • Everyone else's stories need to be revised and inserted. The epilogue needs to be revised and inserted.
    • Akihisa's board game dialogue and the Principal's board game dialogue has been revised and inserted. Everyone else's needs to be revised and inserted.

Sorry for not having any real new progress, but I really do want to get this done. Thanks again for all your patience and support, even though I've kept you all waiting this long!

SS4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Just stumbled upon this project by chance.
I'm glad to see its still alive although its on the backburner given RL takes priority for most of us.
Anyways, keep up the good work and we are here supporting you if you need encouragement or any type of help we can give if possible :P
Just give us a little update every few months at least so we can cheer each time lol

L_Lawliet39

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is the "proper format" for the video .pmf?
Just asking because I have managed to do some work with .pmf files before, I was able to extract the opening video .pmf from Project DIVA extend, add subtitles, and reinsert it back into the game.
I can try finding the software and instructions that I was using to do that if it would be useful.

L_Lawliet39

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are you using UMD Stream Composer or a different method?
I know with Stream Composer you need extremely specific formats and encodings of the formats to make it work.
I think you need a 480x272 .avi with no sound at 29.97fps and a .wav in a specific encoding otherwise it messes up.

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was UMD Stream Composer, but it's been quite a while so I don't remember what format my source files were after I edited them. When I find the time I'll have a look and see if I can get it working. Might be a while though before I get the chance; school is pretty rough this semester :/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: It's Mayday fellas