Hacking Awesome WiiU hacking theories!

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Another awesome hacking theory (not how to hack but what to do once hacked) that might even apply to the original Wii but would definitely enhanced by having access to a second, touch sensitive screen ... and the extra cores, clock speed and RAM wouldn't hurt :

Idea : run DS games on Starlet/Starbucks (ARM) and let the PPC side translate video commands and stuff.
The Starlet's clock speed is faster then BOTH the ARM procs on the DS combined and there's definitely plenty of RAM available to it by comparison. :P

What you guys think ? :D

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
couldn't it be thats

Interesting thought couldn't it be that's how Marcan got his system infos?
Could be ... and I wouldn't be surprised if it sees all three cores even enough it's still in Wii mode ... who knows.
No. In WiiMode, only Wii hardware is accessible. There is a hardware based sandbox to prevent access to anything outside. This is not how marcan got the information (I don't know how he did do it, but I am completely certain it wasn't this), and it would not work.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I think you should start working on it sooner than later.
One of the many reasons why I wish I could just dedicate my life to Wii homebrew programming (and studying the related technical details required) and that somehow I would magically have money for food, rent, etc. :P

(I'm sure there's some technical reason the idea is just too stupid to work but I thought I'd share :D )

EDIT : This goes along with my ideas to run Wii and GameCube games on old Mac, PS3 or 360, taking advantage of the Power family processor and just emulating the IOS and virtualizing the rest of the hardware . . . Psyco but at least it sounds cool.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
(I'm sure there's some technical reason the idea is just too stupid to work but I thought I'd share :D )
Looks like this is the case. Did a little research and it does look like hardware virtualization was not included in ARM processors until later revisions so unless all the hardware addresses are the same on a Wii as a DS I don't think it'll work. ( I knew there had to be some reason why it wouldn't have worked. )

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
C-C-C Combo maker.

Okay, another stupid idea :
I know BootMii IOS doesn't work on vWii yet ... but when it does (or something similar), is there any way of joining and altering the APP files for a cIOS to be able to make them into an ARMBOOT.BIN file that BootMii could load instead of the Mini?

It would be a great workaround if we can never actually install a cIOS on NAND on vWii.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Me again :P

Just checking to see if anyone knows, does the fact that there's a list of "Wii U titles" above the ones for vWii on the title database page in WiiUBrew mean any progress towards hacking Wii U mode?

(I know it's been there for quite a while now and I just hadn't noticed it but I hadn't seen anyone else comment about it either.)

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Me again :P

Just checking to see if anyone knows, does the fact that there's a list of "Wii U titles" above the ones for vWii on the title database page in WiiUBrew mean any progress towards hacking Wii U mode?

(I know it's been there for quite a while now and I just hadn't noticed it but I hadn't seen anyone else comment about it either.)
That sort of thing can be found by network logging I think. Could also be obtained from leaked info, without need for hacks. (Although there are numerous other signs of WiiU hax e.g. the SHA1 hash fail0verflow posted, the processor clock speeds posted by marcan [followed by this] etc.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y23PPkftXIY