Hacking Awesome WiiU hacking theories!

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Perhaps a stupid question, but I'm still curious for it...

How much free blocks does a vwii have?

According to the internet, a regular wii has 2163 blocks, or 512 MB of memory.

Obviously, the wiiU has more memory. But is the wii part separate, or is it combined?

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
According to DeadlyFoez, the WiiU has two flash chips, one for the WiiU and another for WiiMode, with the WiiMode one being identical to the chips found in Wii consoles. (There are a couple of different types used in the Wii).

EDIT: i.e. there wouldn't be any extra storage available in WiiMode compared to a Wii console. I feel Nintendo may have missed a trick there, as it could have been handy for people who have large collections of WiiWare or Virtual Console games built up over the life span of the Wii, and don't want to have to keep juggling them between NAND and SD card.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Perhaps a stupid question, but I'm still curious for it...

How much free blocks does a vwii have?
The capacity is the same as a Wii.

But is the wii part separate, or is it combined?
[/quote]
vWii storage is physically separate from Wii U storage.

In post 28 here, DF mentions that N included an extra NAND IC for the Wii half...the same exact ones that are found in a wii. He also suggests it is infectus compatible, so a vWii can theoretically be unbricked as well.

EDIT: Beaten to it by SifJar

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
@SifJar and techboy: thanks for the info. :)

ok if i got this right

you can put homebrew on the vwii

but you cant use backuploaders/wad installers due to there not being any signing bug
Assuming I'm following things correctly: not exactly. You cannot put homebrew on the vwii. You can, however, run unlicensed code on the wiiu through a glitch. It'll work, provided it uses a standard IOS (eg. IOS58) and doesn't require AHBPROT access.

In other words: the homebrew isn't on the vwii: it's run from the SD card.

Backup loaders and wad installers can run*, but it goes wrong once it requires advanced access.

*I saw mention of someone running wiiflow or dop-mii.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ok if i got this right

you can put homebrew on the vwii
Nothing can be installed, but you can run emulators and the like off your SD card through Smash Stack: Download WiiXplorer and put its boot.elf in the root of the SD. Run smash stack to start WiiXplorer, then use WiiXplorer to select the DOL/ELF for the program of your choice.

Backup loaders and wad installers can run*, but it goes wrong once it requires advanced access
Loaders may not run at all if they complain about cIOSes missing. If you manage to get one to run, I suspect that the homebrew launcher functions would work. That's just loading DOLs off the SD.

DOP-Mii probably will run fine, same goes for MMM and Wii-mod. They just won't be able to install anything. Speaking of MMM, has anyone tried the option to view boot2 information on a vWii? I don't know if it needs access to work, but if not, what version is on a vWii?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I manage to get postloader to run for well over a year now without cIOS'es, so I suspect that's okay. And the later wiiflow versions also run on IOS58. I'm not sure about the others.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I manage to get postloader to run for well over a year now without cIOS'es, so I suspect that's okay. And the later wiiflow versions also run on IOS58. I'm not sure about the others.
The problem with WiiFlow is that although it starts in IOS58 it checks if it has AHBPROT and then (in this case) would try switching to a cIOS to get better privileges.

Running it under neek2o, on the other hand, just might work.

d.d.d.

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm probably way off on this but, what if someone were to use an existing four number ID (like for a Wii program no one uses really) but replace the contents with homebrew? Possible??

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm probably way off on this but, what if someone were to use an existing four number ID (like for a Wii program no one uses really) but replace the contents with homebrew? Possible??
These things need to be signed, you can't just replace the contents. Signing used to be possible due to a bug called the Trucha Bug, but the vWii doesn't have this. An IOS exploit will need to be found first. Probably.

d.d.d.

Trophies
XP
Country
These things need to be signed, you can't just replace the contents. Signing used to be possible due to a bug called the Trucha Bug, but the vWii doesn't have this. An IOS exploit will need to be found first. Probably.

Yeah I knew I was way off. ;_; That video of SNES9XGX running is beautiful though. :D

drakorex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wondering, has anyone attempted to smashstack into wiixplorer and then try to examine the contents of a WiiU game?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Just wondering, has anyone attempted to smashstack into wiixplorer and then try to examine the contents of a WiiU game?
I'm assuming a Wii U games is encrypted differently so WiiXplorer (or anything in Wii mode ATM) wouldn't be able to read it.

... but it's worth a try.

Hyawatta

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Shop.Scurtek.net
XP
Country
United States
Do you think it would be possible for a homebrew program to allow for Wii games that are played in Wii Mode on the Wii U to be upscaled the way that Dolphin does on the PC?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.