Hacking Atmosphere-NX - Custom Firmware in development by SciresM

SciresM

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jesus Christ, it's always a cluster over at ol' GBATemp. Let's agree to disagree and move on.

Anyways, while the overall creation and inevitable release of the CFW/Emu is what everyone is looking forward to, I'm slightly more interested in what's to come after. Will the CFW have OTA updates similar to how the late-life PSP CFWs had them, or will this more than likely be a LUMA type implementation where we have a CFW layer over the official FW and it's updated separately? Will we have different flavors of CFW like the 3DS has at the moment sometime in the future?

The latter, with regards to updates.

If someone else wants to implement their own CFW, they can feel free to do so, but a Switch CFW is going to be a lot of work to make.

Earth4Heaven

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most devs should but this is the first developer I have seen that is pretty open about progress and projects. And responds often. This is also the first cfw I have seen being openly developed. And while I don't understand it all, seeing it come into fruition is awesome. Watching those github commits can be addicting.

Darthsternie

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.darthsternie.net
XP
Country
Germany
Most devs should but this is the first developer I have seen that is pretty open about progress and projects. And responds often. This is also the first cfw I have seen being openly developed. And while I don't understand it all, seeing it come into fruition is awesome. Watching those github commits can be addicting.
I totally agree to this. I really like this approach. You can easily ask SciresM things and most of the time he will answer your question really well and you can keep progress by yourself as to how far he's got with his projects :)
I don't like all this showing off with nothing getting released. If it comes to that I liked Team Molecules approach more which consisted of not showing a single thing until release :)

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had dreamed today that this project was fake
And SciresM wrote in a paper a letter of apologizes and posted it here
And PS4 5.05 jailbreak was released and Vita 3.67 henkaku too and a jailbreak for iOS 11.2.6
What the fuck was that dream
A nightmare. Btw, I thought 11.2.x was jailbroken already? I saw something about that mentioned on Wololo.

charlieb

Trophies
XP
Country
I figured as much, since CFW development is probably difficult. I'm predicting that at least one system update will happen before Atmosphere-NX comes out.

Its more like they (those in the know) don't want to lose the exploit for 4.X. we've seen videos of 4.X getting owned already

Video courtesy of SciresM

Reactions: MYFW

Chris_Highwind

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its more like they (those in the know) don't want to lose the exploit for 4.X. we've seen videos of 4.X getting owned already

Video courtesy of SciresM

...Oh. So in other words, don't bother waiting because it won't happen. If I was Nintendo and I noticed people waiting for an exploit to be patched before releasing it, I'd purposefully keep the exploit unpatched for as long as I could so they never release it.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...Oh. So in other words, don't bother waiting because it won't happen. If I was Nintendo and I noticed people waiting for an exploit to be patched before releasing it, I'd purposefully keep the exploit unpatched for as long as I could so they never release it.
Well, that's the idea; force Nintendo into holding off patching the exploit as long as possible. IDEALLY, Nintendo will push an update as soon as the first exploit(s) release in an attempt to patch everything up, and we'll have the current version patched as well which will allow SciresM to release the most current exploit, but that's entirely up to outside circumstances

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That would work against Nintendo though, as that would open even more systems up for exploiting. Which is why devs don't release things immediately. They try to keep nintendo in the dark to hopefully keep a vulnerability open. Nintendo would want to patch it as quickly as possible to close of how may systems have access to these exploits.

SciresM

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Today was a big milestone -- for the first time, on hardware, Atmosphere managed to load the kernel, receive an smc (smcCpuOn), and successfully turn on a second CPU core that executes our code.

Video of that below.

Lots and lots of work went into that by TuxSH and I (and a few other contributors <3), and of course there's lots and lots of work still to do, but it's cool to see the stuff that's been done working on hardware.

Duhasst0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Today was a big milestone -- for the first time, on hardware, Atmosphere managed to load the kernel, receive an smc (smcCpuOn), and successfully turn on a second CPU core that executes our code.

Video of that below.

Lots and lots of work went into that by TuxSH and I (and a few other contributors <3), and of course there's lots and lots of work still to do, but it's cool to see the stuff that's been done working on hardware.

Hell yeah, dude, keep up the good work.

Can't wait to see this in the wild.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Psi likes Cream Pie I hear