Homebrew ARM9Loader -- Technical Details and Discussion

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@dark_samus3 what do you think about adding something like an arm11 api to the a9lh arm11 pyload? A payload which allows setting the brightnes, disable the screen, and maybe allows to configure possible other arm11 hardware(if there is any more). Something like write from arm9 to this address, to do this. If have a very hackie implementation of it in my dev-build with brightness configuation for different payloads, but I don't know what the best address is, to place it there.

Last edited by RednaxelaNnamtra,
Reactions: peteruk

naivegirl2411

Trophies
XP
Country
I have linked nands and want to follow the otp guide to get my otp, whats steps should I change from Plailect's guide to ensure I get my otp without messing up my 3ds? I am using an o3ds on 9.2 sysnand and emunand. The guide also doesnt state anything about how to upgrade your 3ds to the latest fw, is it ok to use sysnand's system settings to update 3ds now if youve removed emunand? I dont know how updating arm9lh or updating fw with arm9lh works

Im using this otp guide: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have linked nands and want to follow the otp guide to get my otp, whats steps should I change from Plailect's guide to ensure I get my otp without messing up my 3ds? I am using an o3ds on 9.2 sysnand and emunand. The guide also doesnt state anything about how to upgrade your 3ds to the latest fw, is it ok to use sysnand's system settings to update 3ds now if youve removed emunand? I dont know how updating arm9lh or updating fw with arm9lh works

Im using this otp guide: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki
If you already have A9LH, you can update your sysNAND.

If you do not have A9LH, DO NOT UPDATE YOUR SYSNAND.

What would I change personally in the guide? The use of AuReiNAND instead of Cakes, more user friendly, and I've seen more issues pop up when people are using Cakes.

naivegirl2411

Trophies
XP
Country
If you already have A9LH, you can update your sysNAND.

If you do not have A9LH, DO NOT UPDATE YOUR SYSNAND.

What would I change personally in the guide? The use of AuReiNAND instead of Cakes, more user friendly, and I've seen more issues pop up when people are using Cakes.

With regard to cakes vs aureinand Id like to know how relevant this point is in the guide:

Part 5:
36. Activate the "Block FIRM partition updates", "Disable Signature Checks", and "Survive reboots when launching some titles" (that last one is Old 3DS only and you only need it if you have Smash 4 or MH4; it will not be there for all devices) patches, then press Start to continue
(MAKE SURE YOU SELECT THE BLOCK FIRM PARTITION UPDATES PATCH OR THE NEXT SYSTEM UPDATE WILL BRICK YOU)

Is this strictly cakes fw related or should i just look over it if i choose aureinand?

Supster131

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With regard to cakes vs aureinand Id like to know how relevant this point is in the guide:

Part 5:
36. Activate the "Block FIRM partition updates", "Disable Signature Checks", and "Survive reboots when launching some titles" (that last one is Old 3DS only and you only need it if you have Smash 4 or MH4; it will not be there for all devices) patches, then press Start to continue
(MAKE SURE YOU SELECT THE BLOCK FIRM PARTITION UPDATES PATCH OR THE NEXT SYSTEM UPDATE WILL BRICK YOU)

Is this strictly cakes fw related or should i just look over it if i choose aureinand?
AureiNAND blocks FIRM automatically, so no need to worry about it.

Reactions: naivegirl2411

Supster131

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does Reinand block FIRM? or should I move to AuReinand? Because last time i used AuReinand (I messed up some how) and my emunand didnt want to boot up.
afaik ReiNAND does not block FIRM, since Rei mainly wants to stick with emuNAND.

If you're on A9LH, then yeah, definitely move over to AuReiNAND.

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
afaik ReiNAND does not block FIRM, since Rei mainly wants to stick with emuNAND.

If you're on A9LH, then yeah, definitely move over to AuReiNAND.
I am on a9hl but I am staying on emunand until sysnand actually seems safer. People seem to be screwing up swaping their nands and Id rather not attempt it. Since Im on emunand does that make the FIRMs safe? Or should I move to Au anyways?

Supster131

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am on a9hl but I am staying on emunand until sysnand actually seems safer. People seem to be screwing up swaping their nands and Id rather not attempt it. Since Im on emunand does that make the FIRMs safe? Or should I move to Au anyways?
If you're only on emuNAND, I don't think it'd really matter.

AuReiNAND can boot directly into Decrypt9, which is pretty cool. But if you don't care about that, then stick with ReiNAND for now.

democracy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're only on emuNAND, I don't think it'd really matter.

AuReiNAND can boot directly into Decrypt9, which is pretty cool. But if you don't care about that, then stick with ReiNAND for now.
Yes I too would like to know if firm 0 and firm 1 are blocked without setting an updatedsys nand flag. I have asked in the AuReiNand forum but no clear response. Kindly let me no if you get an answer to this.

Anyways, because it is unknown, I will be using a older version of aureinand when it comes time to update arm9 via 3dsx. I wonder if thats whe that guy bricked his n3ds a few pages back, because he tried to update when firm0 and firm1 was blocked.

Last edited by democracy,

Supster131

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I too would like to know if firm 0 and firm 1 are blocked without setting an updatedsys nand flag. I have asked in the AuReiNand forum but no clear response. Kindly let me no if you get an answer to this.

Anyways, because it is unknown, I will be using a older version of aureinand when it comes time to update arm9 via 3dsx. I wonder if thats whe that guy bricked his n3ds a few pages back, because he tried to update when firm0 and firm1 was blocked.
Yes, AuReiNAND blocks FIRM0/FIRM1 even without the updatedsysnand flag.

Aurora stated that in one of her posts in the AuReiNAND thread.
I recommend to use the latest version of AuReiNAND btw.

Reactions: democracy

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
updatedsysnand flag has nothing to do with whether FIRM writes are blocked or not. It just determines whether sysnand autoboots or whether emunand autoboots.

The FIRM writes blocking patch is applied automatically, but you can force the behavior to always be true with the installeda9lh flag.

Reactions: democracy and nfan2

Devastus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have arm9 and AuRei all setup (10.6.xU emuNAND, 9.2.xU sysNAND) but now I can't access Decrypt9WIP, emuNAND9, and OTPHelper from homebrew menu on both sysNAND and emuNAND. Can anybody tell me why I can't? I get the double red screen flash after launching the apps and it goes back into homebrew menu.

Supster131

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have arm9 and AuRei all setup (10.6.xU emuNAND, 9.2.xU sysNAND) but now I can't access Decrypt9WIP, emuNAND9, and OTPHelper from homebrew menu on both sysNAND and emuNAND. Can anybody tell me why I can't? I get the double red screen flash after launching the apps and it goes back into homebrew menu.
Do you have the firmware90.bin in your /rei/ folder?

Also, make sure to boot with L, not with R.

Devastus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have the firmware90.bin in your /rei/ folder?

Also, make sure to boot with L, not with R.

Nah I don't have firmware90.bin, only firmware.bin. Booting with 'L' just leaves my N3ds in a almost "brick" like state (for lack of better term) where just the blue light is on and nothing boots.

EDIT: I was under the impression I wouldn't need the a9LH firmware90.bin, should I be using it? Do firmware.bin and firmware90.bin play nice when they are both in the folder together?

Last edited by Devastus,

Serphirot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Nah I don't have firmware90.bin, only firmware.bin. Booting with 'L' just leaves my N3ds in a almost "brick" like state (for lack of better term) where just the blue light is on and nothing boots.

EDIT: I was under the impression I wouldn't need the a9LH firmware90.bin, should I be using it? Do firmware.bin and firmware90.bin play nice when they are both in the folder together?
Well that is because L trys to boot with firmware90.bin which you don´t have so it can´t boot. And for Homebrew you need the frim 9.x to use them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87 cents. Free shipping from China... It arrived it works and honestly I don't understand how it was so cheap.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fellas
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    would you rather have a 9-5 desk job with poor pay or work for an intergalactic space militia with no guarantee of being paid?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    basically, normal boring job or halo and/or helldivers irl
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Lol. Have you heard about this?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I wish the people who make these emulators know the basic primer course on copyright and trademarks.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: I wish the people who make these emulators know the basic primer course on copyright and trademarks.