Hacking anyone worried about being banned from online?

iamisaac

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I loved the homebrew scene for the wii but I'm scared to jump in for the Wii U as I think they may start banning online play. Nobody else seems concerned?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
For homebrew? I seriously doubt it. All homebrew at this point is focussed on or around the vwii. And on the wii, nintendo never bothered to ban anyone from using homebrew or even a downright illegal copy of the game.
While it certainly isn't impossible that going online does some checks within the vwii (IF 'homebrew channel==installed THEN kickPlayerOffTheInternet), I don't think nintendo is going to bother right now (after all, once this gets out, people could just go back to doing that very same thing on their real wii).
However, I think things could turn out very different once it becomes possible to load illegal copies or backups of wiiu games. That third party support nintendo went on about...banning from online play seems a bit like a minimum.

Not that I'm really bothered with any of that. What I am concerned about, however, is my guarantee. I don't want to void my warranty by putting the homebrew channel on it right now. That'll most likely come once that has worn out (and my console doesn't have some sort of hidden issue). :)

Stalkid64X

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Two points I would raise. One, I believe the online agreement stated they could basically account/console ban you. Since Sony and Microsoft already do this, there is no reason to believe they wouldn't. Two... we have NO IDEA how unexpected or strange content on the vWii may be affected by a future update to the Wii U/itself, or how it could have unintended consequences. Not really worth risking bricking that expensive new system for the sake of old homebrew, is it?

Reactions: lovewiibrew

lovewiibrew

Sifjar is a pirate
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Two points I would raise. One, I believe the online agreement stated they could basically account/console ban you. Since Sony and Microsoft already do this, there is no reason to believe they wouldn't. Two... we have NO IDEA how unexpected or strange content on the vWii may be affected by a future update to the Wii U/itself, or how it could have unintended consequences. Not really worth risking bricking that expensive new system for the sake of old homebrew, is it?

I agree. I can already do a ton of stuff with my wii, no need to screw up my Wii U to do stuff I already can.

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a feeling nintendo will start banning consoles if they are using backup loaders (yes nintendo can see you using a pirated copy of the game)

Stalkid64X

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Not only that, they can I believe essentially `kick you out of` Wii mode at any time to do an update if you're online at all. Be careful is the motto of the story right now.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
You mod your console, Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft WILL if they are able to, disable your console from connecting online. They have every right to. This should be pounded into people's heads right now like a mantra. Playing pirated games or playing online. Pick one, because there is no guarantee whatsoever that you will have both, when push comes to shove.

I can almost guarantee that Nintendo has built in that capability with the Wii-U, so be prepared for console bans if backup loaders ever work again.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that would be if backup loaders work in Wii U mode. the WiiMode part does not use your Nintendo Network ID for online use. anyways, people have been playing mario kart Wii online using backup loaders for sometime now as there are no backup loader checks when going online. adding that would require a update to Mario Kart Wii and other Wii games themselves and a patching system like that does not exist for the Wii. they would need to do it via a WiiMode update if anything.

Also, for the PS3 even,not one person got banned for PS2 homebrew use via Action Replay on the PS2 BC mode of the PS3, not even for using USB loaders like Open PS2 Loader.

for the xbox 360,nobody got banned for custom maps on Halo 2 via editing the DLC maps on the Hard Drive of the 360 either unless they got caught using modded maps on matchmaking back when XBL worked for Xbox1 Mode.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
that would be if backup loaders work in Wii U mode. the WiiMode part does not use your Nintendo Network ID for online use.

You assume the Wii U doesn't call home when backup loaders are detected. The separation between Wii mode and Wii U mode could be the difference between a wall and a window. If Nintendo can detect backup loaders through Wii mode, there is no reason that they wouldn't issue a console ban.

anyways, people have been playing mario kart Wii online using backup loaders for sometime now as there are no backup loader checks when going online. adding that would require a update to Mario Kart Wii and other Wii games themselves and a patching system like that does not exist for the Wii. they would need to do it via a WiiMode update if anything.

Yeah, that's the Wii and we all know that the Wii was far behind the game as far as Internet code and functionality goes. The wii didn't have that capability. Wii Mode within the Wii U might. Maybe not with individual games, but with backup loaders and homebrew on the whole. That "patch" could have been there from day one, and you wouldn't know any different.

Also, for the PS3 even,not one person got banned for PS2 homebrew use via Action Replay on the PS2 BC mode of the PS3, not even for using USB loaders like Open PS2 Loader.
Different console, different architecture, different Operating system. Nintendo also had the time and money to learn from everyone else's past mistakes, including their own.

for the xbox 360,nobody got banned for custom maps on Halo 2 via editing the DLC maps on the Hard Drive of the 360 either unless they got caught using modded maps on matchmaking back when XBL worked for Xbox1 Mode.
See above comment

Mapleine

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I expect them to fight back against Wii U hacking with fairly routine firmware updates and lightweight security (in contrast to the other two console makers)

For vWii mode, I expect nothing, only time will tell but I believe it was sandboxed for a reason.

muskieratboi

Rydian's got some competition!
Trophies
XP
Country
*shrug* There's a few places around already that are selling the 8gb SKUs for dirt cheap.. I'll be getting one of ose soonish. :P

yes, Nintendo, I'm buying a SECOND console. and you say us hackers take all your money? :P

boomario

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I think nintendo could do a simple blocking method for wiimode, making new homebrew/hack installs impossible/unlikable while no wiiU hacks yet,
my example:

WiiU verify any hacks/homebrews on sd when started and delete everything, if he blocks sd card from loading if inserted after wiiu verifying hacks will be very unlikeable till someone hacks wiiu and remove that verification, of course for this will be necessary changes on both wiiu and wiimode system, but its very possible.

Sorry for bad explaining but i hope everyone understanded :lol:

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I think nintendo could do a simple blocking method for wiimode, making new homebrew/hack installs impossible/unlikable while no wiiU hacks yet,
my example:

WiiU verify any hacks/homebrews on sd when started and delete everything, if he blocks sd card from loading if inserted after wiiu verifying hacks will be very unlikeable till someone hacks wiiu and remove that verification, of course for this will be necessary changes on both wiiu and wiimode system, but its very possible.

Sorry for bad explaining but i hope everyone understanded :lol:

Here I'll explain more.

Wii U system menu will find any hacks/homebrews on SD card it knows and deletes em.
So you need to get out of Wii U mode before you put in the SD card.

boomario

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Here I'll explain more.

Wii U system menu will find any hacks/homebrews on SD card it knows and deletes em.
So you need to get out of Wii U mode before you put in the SD card.
that's i'm talking about, if nintendo add something in wiimode to dont load sd card if not inserted in WiiU system, will be hard to hack wiimode, but its just a idea/theory, sorry :(

muskieratboi

Rydian's got some competition!
Trophies
XP
Country
that's i'm talking about, if nintendo add something in wiimode to dont load sd card if not inserted in WiiU system, will be hard to hack wiimode, but its just a idea/theory, sorry :(

If Nintendo remove SD card support in vWii, then vWii becomes as essentially useless as the Wii mini. it would also start a row among the fanbase of OtherOS levels, and lead to even greater efforts in hacking the WiiU to return that functionality.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think big "N" knows that I installed hbc to vWii because I play Wii U games online and never got kicked. I think there is too many Wii's that run homebrew for them to worry about vWii running homebrew.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo would not disable SD support in vWii as people need that to install all their shop purchases since most people filled up their system memory and are using the SD Card or have all their VC/WiiWare/Channels on SD card and the system memory unused except for saves.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii Mini is not useless as you should be able to use a USB Lan adapter and the HBC+AHBPROT to install the Shop and other standard wii channels if it does not have them.

that would make it a LAN only MiniWii,basically, a PS2 slim (since its small and never had wifi, neither did fat tho) or the 20GB PS3(had lan but no WiFi, but its not small so no cannot use for the size reference)

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It should be mentioned that nobody has ever been banned/bricked/etc for using a flashcart on the 3DS in nearly 2 years, which is more or less the same situation. All Nintendo does is block the flashcards in updates.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.keepretro.com/products/miyoo-a30