Anyone Know What Could be Causing This? (2 Windows Opening)

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I enabled some option in folder settings (I think) that would open searches into a new window, because I was having a problem with searches (mostly with a large number of files) crashing windows explorer. it didn't help at all, so now I want to disable it, but I can't recall how or if this is even the reason. whenever I use ftp through windows file manager to the series x, two windows open up. one is empty, the other has the folders. I think this option is causing that to happen. btw, I'm on windows 10. anyone have any ideas?

Reactions: impeeza

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I enabled some option in folder settings (I think) that would open searches into a new window, because I was having a problem with searches (mostly with a large number of files) crashing windows explorer. it didn't help at all, so now I want to disable it, but I can't recall how or if this is even the reason. whenever I use ftp through windows file manager to the series x, two windows open up. one is empty, the other has the folders. I think this option is causing that to happen. btw, I'm on windows 10. anyone have any ideas?
I don't think it's anything you enabled. I just tried it as I've never connected to an ftp this way in a long time and it also popped up the blank window by default. How are you connecting to the ftp? With the IP address or host name. It seems that if you use the hostname the blank window doesn't pop up. This is how it is for me at least when I connect to the xbox ftp.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it's anything you enabled. I just tried it as I've never connected to an ftp this way in a long time and it also popped up the blank window by default. How are you connecting to the ftp? With the IP address or host name. It seems that if you use the hostname the blank window doesn't pop up. This is how it is for me at least when I connect to the xbox ftp.
1665361818339.png

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BTW, tested in both dev mode and retail, just have to refresh the folder list when going between them, and it works no problem with the same network drive. :D

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Buddy give a try to Total Commander, and if you also install Everything (an indexer program) you can search on thousands of files on seconds.

Total Commander also can send and receive files from FTP, treat compressed files as folders, and so many features.

I don't know if put unsolicited URLs of commercial software is allowed, so you can use google to find it, or ask.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Buddy give a try to Total Commander, and if you also install Everything (an indexer program) you can search on thousands of files on seconds.

Total Commander also can send and receive files from FTP, treat compressed files as folders, and so many features.

I don't know if put unsolicited URLs of commercial software is allowed, so you can use google to find it, or ask.
I think the issue is a bug with windows 10 as I googled it to find many others with the same problem. Will total commander replace the normal search method?

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Completely, Total Commander is a full file manager, independent of the OS, not using File Explorer methods.

the integrated search is a powerfull tool, and can use Everything an open source file indexer for extra fast search.

Total commander can search for files and for their content rally fast!

-edited: typo
Post automatically merged:

took this test:

1665465400590.png

found files on a 4TB full of files, almost 900 000 files and folders and took only 3 seconds.

Last edited by impeeza,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Completely, Total Commander is a full file manager, independent of the OS, not using File Explorer methods.

the integrated search is a powerfull tool, and can use Everything an open source file indexer for extra fast search.

Total commander can search for files and for their content rally fast!

-edited: typo
Post automatically merged:

took this test:

View attachment 331350

found files on a 4TB full of files, almost 900 000 files and folders and took only 3 seconds.
What happens if you use the search box in windows explorer?

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
¿the file explorer? not, on Windows you can not replace the file explorer, but I really haven't used the file explorer for years, since I buy Total Commander it's my most used program on PC (and android)

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Sadly no, but really is cheap if you think on all the features.

for me the 2 side file explorer is a bless, you can have two different folders open at same time and make file operation between them with the press of a Key.

look for Ghisler's Total Commander and read about the features.

it's only 37 euro for a lifetime license. I got mine on 1997 and still valid and get updates.

you can use for 30 days before need to buy the license full featured, I can bet you if you use the trial time you will buy it.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sadly no, but really is cheap if you think on all the features.

for me the 2 side file explorer is a bless, you can have two different folders open at same time and make file operation between them with the press of a Key.

look for Ghisler's Total Commander and read about the features.

it's only 37 euro for a lifetime license. I got mine on 1997 and still valid and get updates.

you can use for 30 days before need to buy the license full featured, I can bet you if you use the trial time you will buy it.
I'll check it out on one of my 10tb hdds when i go upstairs. Should be over a million files each on two of them. I'll buy it if it works well.

Reactions: impeeza

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I'll check it out on one of my 10tb hdds when i go upstairs. Should be over a million files each on two of them. I'll buy it if it works well.
I do recommend to use Total Commander and also install Everything (it's free) https://www.voidtools.com/ which helps a lot on search because it index the files and uses the NTFS extended properties to ease the find files process.

once installed enable it on the search dialog of total commander (ALT +F7)

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do recommend to use Total Commander and also install Everything (it's free) https://www.voidtools.com/ which helps a lot on search because it index the files and uses the NTFS extended properties to ease the find files process.

once installed enable it on the search dialog of total commander (ALT +F7)
Alt+F7 while it's open and both are installed?

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
he he he, one of the Total Commander's features is if you like the great use of the keyboard shorcuts.

on total commander pressing ALT+F7 open the search dialog, on the search dialog you can enable the help of Everything:

1665468343706.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Both of mine are i5's lol
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    All right! Who stole my right sock? :angry:
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    At least someone other than myself thought it was funny :rofl:
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    DNDBD (DND×DBD) IS A REAL THING
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I didnt have school today
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Cuz it's some kind of holiday related to the town I live in
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Am I [R WORD]?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon