Any runners here?

Maverick Lunar X

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I failed my PT Test today, specifically the run portion by 14 seconds (Mile and 1/2, clocked in at 13:50). HUGE blow to my pride. Anyways, any tips from runners?

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're slowing down too much. Don't do that. Just run faster.

To practice, have sex with some girl that goes to school with you, and then run from her dad.

:3
Kidding. I'm the last guy who should be advising you here.

Reactions: 8 people

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Am I the ONLY person who immediately thought this was going to be a courier delivery thread?

As for running. Practice. Really. Just keep running. it's hard to screw up running, you just have to keep doing it and build up your endurance/technique.

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice timing! (Just got back in from a run myself, haha)

Along with the comments above, run as much as you can, once a day if possible. I personally like tracking my progress and bought some stupid little Nike+ wristband thing that works with my shoe that lets me chart all that. There are a ton of free and dirt cheap apps out there for Android and iOS that do the same thing, work with your phone's GPS to track your progress and give you stats such as how long your run was, how many miles you ran, calories burned, average mile time, etc. (I recommend Endomondo if you're on Android)

Its nice to see the stats side-by-side at the end of everyday's run and see how much you're improving (you can only get better, faster, and gain more stamina, nowhere to go but up!).

Otherwise, if you don't want to be bothered with all of that, I would just recommend bringing along some sort of stopwatch and setting a goal when practicing, such as running a full lap around a really long block or something (in my case, I use the average time it took me to run 1 mile from each session). Run the lap, clock your time, and try to shave it down more and more. Keep track of your best time (and worst) at the end of that day and try to beat it at the start of each new day's session! You'll see yourself start to gradually get better and you'll feel yourself getting better too. Your legs will start to take a more fit shape, your breathing and endurance will become easier. Not to mention, your body will start to feel good as a whole, as well. After a good run, your body may feel a bit tired, but once you cool down and bounce back, you'll feel light as a feather and your body will feel better overall. It's hard to explain, but you'll know what I mean once you start running.

Also, make sure you have a good shoe. It doesn't need to be anything state of the art, just make sure it doesn't make your feet feel uncomfortable, you want something that will help your feet, not hinder them and make you want to run less or cut off a running session early because your feet hurt. Lastly, if you develop a running schedule, STICK TO IT. If you start a solid schedule, then start to miss some days here and there irregularly, your body might start to hate you. And all that progress you've made will slowly start to roll backwards. Some days you won't feel like running at all, but just get out to your running area and just run a little less if you have to. Its about staying active on a schedule your body can get used to.

In many ways, running is like a video game, in which you're constantly trying to improve your own stats, shatter new goals you set, and ultimately beat yourself (lolgross). Its pretty fun, gets you in shape, and doesn't require a lot of time! Plus chicks dig runners. AND there's tons of hot runner chicks. In those little tight, tight running shorts. Tight shorts. Just, do it man.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Personally I don't do running as in racing, all the running I do is stamina training for tennis, which I can't practice atm due to some reasons, but I still do the jogging. I tend to do a run for about one hour mostly everyday, unless i forget about it, in order to improve speed tho, you should running over hills, it was something that one of my old coaches taught me when I first started tennis, if you start running up a hill everyday, until u're able to run on it, as fast as you'd normally run, that'll mean your speed has been drastically improved.

Helpful Corn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heel to toe, this tip alone should shave off at least 14 seconds on a 1 1/2 mile run. Drink tons of water, you should be pissing clear, about 3-4 glasses the day of and no soda. Have a cup off coffee 1 hour before the run. Run to the inside of the track. If you're running only 1.5 in 14 minutes then I'm going to assume that you are pretty much in intense pain from the 1/2 mile point on, start out at a much faster pace so when you hit the wall you will be ahead of where you were at when you tried to start slow. Running is MIND OVER MATTER think about something other than the pain anything at all, or nothing think about absolutely nothing whatever it is take your mind of off the run and just go.

Fresco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm going to start next week. Used to run 3 times a week about 5/6 km. But without the proper clothes I couldn't run in the winter :(.

Most important of all --> good shoes. Otherwise blisters etc. Some way of tracking your progress is also nice, so you can set measurable goals and keep breaking them.

Last --> just keep running, in the beginning it will probably s*ck *ss but you will improve every time.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Heel to toe, this tip alone should shave off at least 14 seconds on a 1 1/2 mile run.

lol what? Not only is does that always make you slower at running (look at Olympic runners, their heels barely touch the ground) but it's extremely bad for you. Running on your heels is stressful on all sorts of joints as said above me, and can seriously damage your spine.

Only run heel-first when doing long distance and not running at a fast pace.

Also

Running is MIND OVER MATTER think about something other than the pain anything at all, or nothing think about absolutely nothing whatever it is take your mind of off the run and just go.

No :facepalm: Are you trying to kill this guy? DON'T over do it. You'll just end up tearing something or making yourself ill; then you won't be able to run for another few weeks and what good is that going to do you?

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Running is MIND OVER MATTER think about something other than the pain anything at all, or nothing think about absolutely nothing whatever it is take your mind of off the run and just go.

No :facepalm: Are you trying to kill this guy? DON'T over do it. You'll just end up tearing something or making yourself ill; then you won't be able to run for another few weeks and what good is that going to do you?
Personally (because I'm somewhat new to running myself), I haven't experienced my body being too overworked yet, but, I have a small bit of advice to offer:

If you're starting to feel too overworked, don't feel bad to slow down and walk it out. Keep on your running path, but instead, just walk. Once you feel you have enough strength to continue running, get back at it. If you're completely spent, don't feel bad if you have to walk it the whole way back. You don't want to overwork yourself to the point where it actually becomes harder for your body to run as you get better, just because you pushed your legs too far during 1 run.

Reactions: 1 person

Helpful Corn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, 1.5 miles is certainly not a sprint so heel to toe and long strides is the correct form.

Secondly, he is only trying to cut 14 seconds of of a 14 minute run, giving a little extra effort to go a just a little faster while fighting through the pain is really all he needs.

Third, taking your mind off of the pain by either thinking about something else or nothing at all is a tried and true method of getting through a run. It is certainly better than thinking "oww oww oww omg omg omg i'm gonna die" the whole time. I just don't see how this particular tip is debatable.

All running is a fight against yourself whether you hit the wall at 1/2 a mile or 12 miles, running is all about persevering through the pain and continually pushing your limits. Of course going too far too soon or too fast too often will be detrimental to your health and put you at risk of all kinds of different injuries. In this particular case though the goal is to run only 1.5 in 13:35, this shouldn't be enough for anyone to get seriously injured unless they are totally and completely out off shape. You guys are all giving him advice on how to get better over time by getting better shoes and continually working at it, I perceived his request to be more of an immediate thing just asking for little tips and tricks to shave some time the very next time he goes out.

I have been running on and off for 14 years both competitively and just for general fitness.

@ [M]artin i had one of the original nike+ sport bands with the shoe pod for awhile, one day I looked down and the thumb drive had fallen out :( right now I'm using a shitty timex ironman wireless fitness tracker w/ pedometer that I picked up for $30 , I would love one of those fancy new nike+ gps sport bands but I just can't shell out that kinda money for a watch.

EDIT: Just saw that you have the original sportband too, its a fun little piece of technology. The new one is $170 GPS based and has a heart rate monitor, pretty snazzy but honestly it looks a little heavy to have on your wrist during a run. For me the best part about these things is being able to walk out my front door, take off in any direction and still know approximately the distance I've covered. This Timex keeps distance, speed, pace, calories etc. but it is a hip clip and not nearly as accurate as the Nike+ shoe pod.

Maverick Lunar X

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, I'd like to cut my run down to a max time of 12:00 in the next month or so (Our pt program is point based, 13:36 is just the fail cut off). I've got a great pair of Asics. Biggest problem I've noticed is just simply running out of steam and not getting that second wind. I was originally training on an elliptical and getting 12:00, but being able to continue running through the 3 1/2 mile mark, so I'm starting to run with a pacer tomorrow for my morning PT sessions. I've had some people on base recommending running on the balls of my feet instead of the heel to toe method as well. Also, I usually run with music on to help keep my mind off the pain in my core. (barely passed the sit up portion, too, so any good core exercises would be helpful too)

ThriLL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Run and then walk as you see fit. Don't just run when the test starts because you'll be winded after a few minutes. Pacing yourself is important, just don't get gassed out.

deshayzilla

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try interval training. Like jogging 2 laps around a track and then sprinting one lap. Do this for about 3 miles. If you find it's hard at first, just take your time jog more laps and then sprint one. This will increase your lung capacity and then overall increase your stamina. This works better than trying to beat your time again and again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    N @ NoiseCommander3DS: https://youtu.be/cAo4TuKIz6s