Hardware Announcing the amiiqo - Switch amiibo's with ease!

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so I got mine today: it's freaking awesome! I have unlocked all content in MK8, splatoon and yoshis Woolley world all without having to open a single Amiibo! (Yes I have all amiibos to date, and all preordered up to and including shovel knight!)

Last edited by KiiWii,

radrom

Content Creator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Might've already been answered, but is anyone else planning on testing Amiiqo + DATEL Action Replay Powersaves For Amiibo? I just bought both and wouldn't be a loss to me if they didn't work together, but to have any amiibo in one device (amiiqo) and to be able to edit that data however you like (powersaves)? Hot damn.

mattycfp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to wait for the the USB version to come out next month. Will devices receive updates such as the cheat system and such? And, with the aide of Cydia and jailbreaking, would it be practical to develop something for amiiqo using the iPhone 6 and 6+'s NFC chip?

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to wait for the the USB version to come out next month. Will devices receive updates such as the cheat system and such? And, with the aide of Cydia and jailbreaking, would it be practical to develop something for amiiqo using the iPhone 6 and 6+'s NFC chip?

Hope I'm not misunderstanding you, but...
Just to clarify, when you say USB version, you mean the USB NFC dongle, right?
They are going to start bundling a NFC reader that connects via USB to a Windows computer so that you don't need an Android phone with NFC to use the amiiqo. Something like this
usb-acr-122u-nfc-rfid-contactless-smart-ic-card-tag-reader-and-writer-13-56mhz-10pcs-nfc-ic-cards-1-sdk-cd_336603.jpg

The amiiqo itself is just a small puck thing:
amiiqo2.jpg

You still need the amiiqo itself, the USB dongle is only used to change/modify stored amiibos.

As far as modifying/leveling the characters information, it doesn't currently support that, but there's nothing that says it couldn't in future updates.
I don't keep up with jailbreaking news as much as I used to, but AFAIK, NFC on the iPhone is still limited to ApplePay, even after jailbreaking. Even if they do find a workaround, I'd be leery of using it, especially if you have payment methods stored on the phone.

Last edited by jesterscourt, , Reason: added more photos

mattycfp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hope I'm not misunderstanding you, but...
Just to clarify, when you say USB version, you mean the USB NFC dongle, right?
They are going to start bundling a NFC reader that connects via USB to a Windows computer so that you don't need an Android phone with NFC to use the amiiqo. Something like this
usb-acr-122u-nfc-rfid-contactless-smart-ic-card-tag-reader-and-writer-13-56mhz-10pcs-nfc-ic-cards-1-sdk-cd_336603.jpg

As far as modifying/leveling the characters information, it doesn't currently support that, but there's nothing that says it couldn't in future updates.
I don't keep up with jailbreaking news as much as I used to, but AFAIK, NFC on the iPhone is still limited to ApplePay, even after jailbreaking. Even if they do find a workaround, I'd be leery of using it, especially if you have payment methods stored on the phone.

I know that it currently doesn't support information editing (the original thread described it as something that would be possible in the future.

And I have NO idea what that dongle is. On the amiiqo website, it said that next month there was going to be a USB version for those w/o Android. Unless that's the one I'm talking about.

I didn't know the NFC was locked like that. I'd imagine that it wouldn't have that restriction with root access and all.

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know that it currently doesn't support information editing (the original thread described it as something that would be possible in the future.

And I have NO idea what that dongle is. On the amiiqo website, it said that next month there was going to be a USB version for those w/o Android. Unless that's the one I'm talking about.

I didn't know the NFC was locked like that. I'd imagine that it wouldn't have that restriction with root access and all.

There is no "USB version", per se... You are referring to them bundling the Amiiqo (the little puck thing) with a NFC USB dongle, which they refer to as a "Amiiqo USB to NFC Reader/Writer". Think of it as an accessory to the amiiqo, not a separate product line. Apparently they are also selling the dongle seperately as well, which is good, and even better they are offering it up to early adopters for free.

mattycfp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no "USB version", per se... You are referring to them bundling the Amiiqo (the little puck thing) with a NFC USB dongle, which they refer to as a "Amiiqo USB to NFC Reader/Writer". Think of it as an accessory to the amiiqo, not a separate product line. Apparently they are also selling the dongle seperately as well, which is good, and even better they are offering it up to early adopters for free.

Ahh. I see my error now.

edit: I see the pre-orders page. But is that ONLY for the dongle? So that makes the price of the full thing with the dongle 80 USD?

Looks like I'll have to skimp on my computer budget :P

Last edited by mattycfp,

[^Blark^]

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I gotta get me one of these thing. how much are they I saw $50($49.99) is that correct? and which reseller did you guys who bought one choose for USA shipment?

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahh. I see my error now. So, this implies that USB was built into the amiiqos in the first place?

I think there's a disconnect here.
Think of the Amiiqo as just a blank amiibo that you can rewrite. It doesn't have any power to it, nor does it have any ports or anything
Now to read or write to that blank amiibo, you need something that reads and writes to NFC (the little tiny chip inside the amiibo/amiiqo)
Currently your only option is to do it via the NFC module that is part of many higher end Android phones.
There will shortly be another option, which is the NFC USB dongle that was explained/pictured earlier. You plug it into your computer via USB, like a keyboard. The other part you just touch the amiiqo to it, you don't actually connect the amiiqo to anything.

The amiiqo doesn't plug in to anything, it's completely passive.

mattycfp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think there's a disconnect here.
Think of the Amiiqo as just a blank amiibo that you can rewrite. It doesn't have any power to it, nor does it have any ports or anything
Now to read or write to that blank amiibo, you need something that reads and writes to NFC (the little tiny chip inside the amiibo/amiiqo)
Currently your only option is to do it via the NFC module that is part of many higher end Android phones.
There will shortly be another option, which is the NFC USB dongle that was explained/pictured earlier. You plug it into your computer via USB, like a keyboard. The other part you just touch the amiiqo to it, you don't actually connect the amiiqo to anything.

The amiiqo doesn't plug in to anything, it's completely passive.

Yeah, that's why I removed it in my post (assumingly while you were writing your post lol). So, 80 USD for dongle and device?

*asks five more times*

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I gotta get me one of these thing. how much are they I saw $50($49.99) is that correct? and which reseller did you guys who bought one choose for USA shipment?

I bought mine from ChocoKitty, which is run by EllioneDHunter who is a regular here on GBATemp. Here's a link Although it appears they are currently out of stock. Would recommend to pick it up there if restocked, entire transaction was friendly with quick shipment.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yeah, that's why I removed it in my post (assumingly while you were writing your post lol). So, 80 USD for dongle and device?

*asks five more times*
Sounds right to me. $50 for the amiiqo and $30 for the NFC USB dongle. You can find those dongles cheaper online (I've seen ~$15-20) but I think it would be worth the extra 10-15$ to be sure that it would function correctly with their software.

mattycfp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought mine from ChocoKitty, which is run by EllioneDHunter who is a regular here on GBATemp. Here's a link Although it appears they are currently out of stock. Would recommend to pick it up there if restocked, entire transaction was friendly with quick shipment.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Sounds right to me. $50 for the amiiqo and $30 for the NFC USB dongle. You can find those dongles cheaper online (I've seen ~$15-20) but I think it would be worth the extra 10-15$ to be sure that it would function correctly with their software.

*insert 16th century slur here*

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States

Hmm, that site refers to 1st and 2nd editions. Is there a difference, or is it just from which batch they came from?

BENETNATH

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Could you enlighten me about the value you getto use the amiibo ?

I've seen that shovel knight co-op mode will be unlocked with the amiibo, but do you think the dlc will be unlocked once forever?
The idea behind is to know if i can mutualize the amiiqo with friends, and just unlock everything once, then lend it to my friend until the next wave of amiibo ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1