Android or iOS?

• Total voters

Gh0sti

iOS Guru
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iOS especially when its jailbroken otherwise I love the software i have an android tablet that im just not very fond of asus nexus 7 its great but i dont like the OS on it its laggy and slow compared to iOS especially with 4.2.2 jelly bean and a tegra 3 thought it would be smooth but no its laggy

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
iOS especially when its jailbroken otherwise I love the software i have an android tablet that im just not very fond of asus nexus 7 its great but i dont like the OS on it its laggy and slow compared to iOS especially with 4.2.2 jelly bean and a tegra 3 thought it would be smooth but no its laggy
The operating system itself is certainly not laggy. My Nexus 4 has no stutters at all. Probably the Nexus 7's hardware is to blame.

Gh0sti

iOS Guru
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The operating system itself is certainly not laggy. My Nexus 4 has no stutters at all. Probably the Nexus 7's hardware is to blame.
well i would think the tegra 3 would make things smooth and nice since its a quad with 1.2 ghz and nice gpu put in but im probably going to sell it dont use it that much and when the iPad Mini 2 w/ Retina comes out ill get that one

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I have to go thru hoops to add an appointment in my calendar :( Was a lot easier on iOS.

Well, I can transfer files directly to my SD card and them plug it in my Android phone. With iOS there's no SD card, so I would have to use some proprietary Apple software to transfer files and it even filters which files I can send to the iPhone/iPod. My point is that it goes both ways ;)

Also, I have a low-end android phone and it works perfectly fine. Sometimes it takes a while to open some apps but other than that it runs smoothly.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
F**k. My S3 just stopped receiving text messages AT ALL. And I've only got it since 4-5 days... I'm already missing iOS. I've had my iPhone4 for something like 3 years, and I can assure crap like this NEVER happened on it.

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
too bad iphodriod was abandon now with more powerful iphones it may have been promising
and wonder why nobody made a project that did the reverse

jerbear64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I myself prefer Android, but I'm going to unfortunately going to use iOS until TWEWY Solo Remix (And LIVE Remix when it comes out) gets a port to Android.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
F**k. My S3 just stopped receiving text messages AT ALL. And I've only got it since 4-5 days... I'm already missing iOS. I've had my iPhone4 for something like 3 years, and I can assure crap like this NEVER happened on it.
I think you're blaming Android when you should be blaming Samsung. Android is not faulty or buggy but I heard somewhere that the S3 has its share of problems, if you're having some problem use your warranty

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I think you're blaming Android when you should be blaming Samsung. Android is not faulty or buggy but I heard somewhere that the S3 has its share of problems, if you're having some problem use your warranty
You actually think Samsung would go as far to modify the internal Android's text service? I don't think so, it'd be pretty much anti-economical to do heavy mods like that, especially when you have to backport them to newer Android versions.

Anyway, it's a common fault on Android devices (not only Samsung) it seems. Just Google it.

Luckily, it solved itself this morning. Oh, new problem. One of my emulators just won't start ANYMORE. All by itself, people :yay:

Don't say "it's Samsung", since the same kind of crap also happened on my 7" Tablet. I just hoped my S3 would've been better than that, instead it seems like the fault is in Android, since it happens on different platforms with different manufacturers.

That's the problem of an "open" mobile OS, you have to support loads of different platforms, and something is GOING to go wrong somewhere in the line.

Oh well, I just hope I won't get any big problems anymore, reinstalling an emu is no big problem, getting cut out from the world for 8 hours (at least from text messages, which are the prevalent method of communication here in Italy, I even use them for work) it is, tho.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You actually think Samsung would go as far to modify the internal Android's text service? I don't think so, it'd be pretty much anti-economical to do heavy mods like that, especially when you have to backport them to newer Android versions.
It is their job to make sure the OS works well with the phone, that includes testing their product to find potential flaws in the hardware and software. So if some version of Android is found to have problems related to texting they should not use that version, keeping you in a older/stable version instead until the problem is solved. It goes without saying that this is only valid if the user is using the official OS that came with phone and didn't root or make anything you aren't supposed to.

One of my emulators just won't start ANYMORE. All by itself, people :yay:

Don't say "it's Samsung", since the same kind of crap also happened on my 7" Tablet. I just hoped my S3 would've been better than that, instead it seems like the fault is in Android, since it happens on different platforms with different manufacturers.
Didn't it cross your mind that it could be the app's fault? App's developers should make sure their apps work well with the OS not the contrary. Also, a lot of emulators are in alpha/beta stage and some of them might be too power demading which could cause crashes.

I don't see why you're looking so down on Android, it is a great platform, of course it has its share of problem but I think you're just having some bad luck. Likewise, I have a friend who said that his iPad just froze and he had to wait for the battery to run out so he could use it again, since you're not able to remove the battery of an iPad. My point? You can have problems with any product, nothing is perfect. Why instead of arguing which is more faulty, we don't argue about which is more awesome? :lol:

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I don't see why you're looking so down on Android, it is a great platform, of course it has its share of problem but I think you're just having some bad luck.
I hope so. I've already left my tablet in the dust due to unusableness, I don't want to stay without a smartphone too :P

Anyway, Samsung doesn't let you officially downgrade ROMs, iirc. So I'm going to stay on the latest version stock (which I'm now on) and hope for the best.

Reactions: RodrigoDavy

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I hope so. I've already left my tablet in the dust due to unusableness, I don't want to stay without a smartphone too :P

Anyway, Samsung doesn't let you officially downgrade ROMs, iirc. So I'm going to stay on the latest version stock (which I'm now on) and hope for the best.

Honestly, I kinda lean towards the lower name Android Phones.

My first phone a year and a half ago, was a Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc.

My new phone, is a Motorola Razr V.

Both work FANTASTIC. They do exactly what I need them to do. The only thing I don't like about Android phones, is they come with a lot of stuff you can't uninstall, like factory setting programs. I don't use them. But at the same time, it's not the biggest deal for me.

I've owned an iPod touch, well the first gen, and I can honestly say, I will never go iOS again. Just the control and power I have over the phone compared to iOS is an instant win. That and I don't have to rely on iTunes to put stuff on my phone. Just instant drag and drop. And it's so nice.

jax604

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Honestly, I kinda lean towards the lower name Android Phones.

My first phone a year and a half ago, was a Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc.

My new phone, is a Motorola Razr V.

Both work FANTASTIC. They do exactly what I need them to do. The only thing I don't like about Android phones, is they come with a lot of stuff you can't uninstall, like factory setting programs. I don't use them. But at the same time, it's not the biggest deal for me.

I've owned an iPod touch, well the first gen, and I can honestly say, I will never go iOS again. Just the control and power I have over the phone compared to iOS is an instant win. That and I don't have to rely on iTunes to put stuff on my phone. Just instant drag and drop. And it's so nice.

I feel the same way, my first smartphone was a iphone 3g, upgraded to 4, I honestly didn't know much about smartphones during that time so i thought it was good for what is it. Until i got my first android phone an Xperia play, I couldn't believe the difference could be that big. Like you said, the overall control and power to be able to customize already did it for me, not needing itunes is a nice bonus haha.

Tekken179

Trophies
XP
Country
Although I am biased against anything Apple and iOS related, I'm going to be fair here.

I'm not going to mention standard smart phone hardware here (well mostly not going to mention) like camera, buttons, screen type.

I'm not going to mention Nokias, Windows OS or any other os out there with the exception of custom Android ROMS.

==========================================================================

iOS, iPhone and iPad -

Positives

. It's easy to use
. Much more apps and developers out there for the iOS which is great.
. Jailbreak - Although most casual users will have no need for this, when I was on iOS I had to have mine jailbroke, I hate the idea of not being in full control of my own devices.
. The phone design is simple has never changed much and comfortable in the hands.
. 3rd party accessories, have you seen the extent of these? Case, docks, pens it goes on and on, it is impressive.
. Cydia - I don't need to go into detail here, the apps and mods are amazing. Has a great community and great devs.
. Support from Apple in most cases seem to be positive and nearly every phone repair company handles iPhone repairs.
. unfortunately for me being an android user I have to admit to the fact the the App store for iOS is better, larger, organized better and easier to search.

Negatives

.Without Jailbreak it has always felt imo very locked down, not enough freedom to the device. Then again it has always felt that way with any Apple product I used.
. Flash support? This annoys me. There is none!
. Price, crazy dear.
. Ok so I am biased against iOS but seriously their fanboys/girls are terrible "OMG Android copied apple lockscreen notifications" or omg it looks like an iPhone! it's copying.... Apple were never the standard or the first to achieve most of their features, their whole take on Patents and copying is fucking pathetic.
. Without Cydia your homescreens and freedom to customize is limited to folder/app organisation and wallpaper changing.

==========================================================================

Android it's open source and many of it's devices

Positives

. A lot more depth and freedom to it's control.
. It has support from practically every other phone manufacturer out their.
. The Google Play Store, while maybe not as many as iOS but certainly a larger variety due to Live wallpapers, widgets, multiple apps to modify or change your phone experience (keyboards, root apps, themers, various launchers).
. Root, custom kernels, custom firmware, Cyanogen/MIUI , ok so there's way to many custom ROMS and kernels out their, specific to each device and many standard for multiple devices like the two I mentioned, root is practically gaining administrative rights which allows you to futher tune your phone, and install great root specific apps (titanium backup, root explorers, font changers, custom system apps). The custom kernels allow you to overclock/undervolt, tune volume, battery life, RAM consumption and much more.
. It's certainly a lot more tailored to the more advanced/moderate device users out there (in most cases)
. Jellybean (project butter) Androids latest firmware is incredibly smooth, has great transition animations, it's features are great and the Holo UI is pleasing to the eye.
. Various specifications, their is really an android phone out their for every users needs (unless your an iOS user obviously) Great camera phones, powerful phones, waterproof phones, large storage phones
. Most android phones support external memory and removable batteries.
. A lot of different manufacturers incorporate their own UI which of some are a standard or must have for some users, most notable that comes to mind is the Sense UI.
. Old android phones can get new life or latest firmware with custom firmware and custom kernels.
. Ubuntu OS - have you seen this thing? SEXY!
. With custom roms and Recoverys you can always just go back to stock from a back up you make through Recoveries or a rom manager app and vice versa.
. XDA developers website/forum - what a site it is. (just check it)

Negatives

. Ok so widgets, live wallpapers and heavy RAM usage apps drain the battery like a mother fucker and can slow the phone down.
. (This ties in with the first negative) - Users complain who complain about crap battery or freezing/crashing are usually those who run seventy different apps/widgets at once or mess about with the phone in ways they either shouldn't be doing or don't understand.
. Some network providers and phone manufacturers are really heavy on their own corporate apps (bloatware) which is incredibly annoying, luckily root access = deletion of said apps.
. The vast phone variation can be somewhat annoying with certain phones only supporting LTE or lower specs at same price compared to others, not supporting some phone carriers, not sold in certain countries or banned due to patent wars.
. Accessories are limited - Many users love phone cases and accessories (making their phone more personal to them or making it look more appealing) unfortunately some android phones have very few accessories/cases, luckily AUX cables/ Micro USB has much support.
. Slow updates/ Bug fixing is slow - Ok so this not may be the case with some devices but I'm sure you've all seen stories about how AT&T or Verizon take weeks or months after an update has been pushed because they need to tune it to their crappy bloatware and carrier standards (just using them two as an example) Phone manufacturers are also the same.
. Inevitably old phones don't support or have latest updates for the latest firmware, or some phones which could support it don't get it.
. Pirates! Fucking pirates everywhere, android certainly has a larger pirate community unfortunately.
. Malware/Adware/bloatware - Dodgy apps, apps with crazy permissions - Be careful when downloading apps not from the Google Play Store and in some cases some apps from the Store they can do many things you might not want them to, check the permissions, make sure it's legit, do some research if your installing weird 3rd party apps.
. Ice Cream Sandwich has flaws, avoid it.

=========================================================================

Other things to consider

1.You can perma brick most smart phones, if your going to tinker with it, make sure you know what your doing.

2. App availability, their are specific iOS apps I like and specific Android apps I like, if it's down to what apps/games are available to you, make sure you do the research.

3. Don't go with iOS just because it's Apple, try other things if your not completely against Android.

4. Ad's , ad's everywhere - Install an adblocker.

5. Don't change if you don't want to, stick to what your comfortable with but at the same time take a look in shops try out different phones that catch your eye.

6. In android their is certainly a lot more positive, but also great amount of negatives.

7. In part their isn't an incredible amount of things that any android device can't do that iOS can do and vice versa.

8. If your reading reviews about any technology or softwate, check the date, alot of them and I mean a lot of them for iOS and android are outdated or are talking about old software. iOS 6 and Jellybean are not the crappy software they were 1-3 years ago ios 3/4 - Android 2/2.1 / 4.0

9. The little things, don't forget to really take a grasp of all Android/iOS has to offer it's the little features that can make a phone or software stand out sometimes.

=========================================================================

Why do I pick android:

I had iOS and I wasn't happy with it, ok so some of the iOS only apps/games are nice but I don't really care about that, I'm currently using a Nexus 4 and it's speed compared to the iOS is no contest. Anything I used on iOS I can get on android.

I have so much more freedom with it and it's cases are decent, dev support is amazing and it's specs for it's price are great.

I just over all have a more pleasent experience with it's software, it's hardware, it's mods, the community.

If your an iOS fan read this, if considering to jump of the Apple zombie train and board the Android nerd band.

http://gizmodo.com/5933636/an-openly-biased-review-of-android-jelly-bean-by-an-iphone-lover

ProtoKun7

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Anyway, it's a common fault on Android devices (not only Samsung) it seems.
Not that I'm aware. I've never had that problem over the three Android devices I've used, from three different manufacturers.

. Ok so widgets, live wallpapers and heavy RAM usage apps drain the battery
RAM has no effect on the battery; unused RAM is wasted RAM. If an app is inactive there it just means it can be resumed quicker. The culprit is CPU usage. It's CPU cycles that use the power. Live wallpapers and widgets have a bit of an impact but it's not that big if they aren't very busy. The key for widgets is not to have them refreshing everything from the internet every 5 minutes.

. (This ties in with the first negative) - Users complain who complain about crap battery or freezing/crashing are usually those who run seventy different apps/widgets at once or mess about with the phone in ways they either shouldn't be doing or don't understand.
Also related to my first comment, task killers don't help. People run them under the mistaken impression they help, when they're just causing more strain. Android's memory management is not the same as Windows.

. Some network providers and phone manufacturers are really heavy on their own corporate apps (bloatware) which is incredibly annoying, luckily root access = deletion of said apps.

. Slow updates/ Bug fixing is slow - Ok so this not may be the case with some devices but I'm sure you've all seen stories about how AT&T or Verizon take weeks or months after an update has been pushed because they need to tune it to their crappy bloatware and carrier standards (just using them two as an example) Phone manufacturers are also the same.

. Inevitably old phones don't support or have latest updates for the latest firmware, or some phones which could support it don't get it.
These three are good points though really more of a disadvantage of some manufacturers and carriers rather than the operating system as itself. Thankfully now apps can be disabled even without rooting to freeze or delete them.

. Ice Cream Sandwich has flaws, avoid it.
Not that I'm disagreeing, but which flaws are you referring to?

ProtoKun7

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The question is now legitimate: do you work for Google or something? Your willingness to defend Android till death could originate only from that :P
It'd be cool if I did, but no. I just like finding these things out, and I have a knack for correcting misconceptions. If the flaws pointed out are well documented and valid then I won't try to justify them, but if someone says something general like "Android stole Apple's Notification Center" I'll point out "no it didn't, you moron; that was around since the beginning".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/ALcfGYLXcjQ?si=ePdtM6b0p5sWaxof