An indiegogo Campaign - GLideN64, a new generation, open-source graphics plugin for N64 emulators

Surkow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gliden64-graphics-plugin

Sergey "Gonetz" Lipskiy is working on a next generation graphics plugin for Nintendo 64 emulators and is currently targetting Windows, Linux and Android. It will bring more accurate frame buffer and depth buffer emulation and many other features currently not supported by existing graphics plugins. He hopes to be able to work fulltime on the project with the help of an Indiegogo campaign.

Sergey Lipskiy said:
The GLideN64 project started as a hobby. I spent my free time on it and
achieved results unreachable with other similar plugins. However, the
project remains in alpha stage, unusable for end users. To bring it to
the new level I need to spend much more time on it. I call you to
support me and fund several months of full-time work on this project.
The project aims to provide to the public free of charge the most
advanced N64 graphics plugin, with the full source code available under
GPL. This is purely a non-commercial, non-profit project. This
crowdfunding will just allow me to spend the time to finish it.

Source

UPDATE:
Main goal has been reached with $7646 at time of update, but there are more stretch goals to achieve! A bit more ($8000) and we will have support for android support, while $10000 goes for OS X support, better anti-aliasing, wide-screen hacks and more. If you're interested in the project, do donate. Less than 12 hours to go!

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...Why exactly do we need to fund a guy to do a plugin? All the other plugins I've seen for emulators have been done for free.
The money gives Gonetz an incentive and the ability to work on this plugin as if it were a full time job, allowing for a higher quality plugin to be produced much faster than if this were simply a hobby project. If it were easy to emulate N64 graphics completely, it would've been done by now.

Also, remember crediar's quadforce fund?

Edit: The threads should probably be merged.

Reactions: NEP

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The money gives Gonetz an incentive and the ability to work on this plugin as if it were a full time job, allowing for a higher quality plugin to be produced much faster than if this were simply a hobby project. If it were easy to emulate N64 graphics completely, it would've been done by now.

Also, remember crediar's quadforce fund?

Edit: The threads should probably be merged.

I just don't see the need to pay $6,000 for a graphics plugin for an emulator. Like, it's nice and all, but people do these things for free all the time. Hell the guy who made the N64 emulator that this plugin is for probably made it for free. It's not something that should be made a "full time job."

Also like any Kickstarter, paying upfront with no accountability is a dumb idea. He could easily say "I'm bored of this project or hit a wall" and abandon it but keep all the money.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Gonetz have had helped with developing Glide 64, being a fan of 3dfx technology, on a 166mhz voodoo 3 3500 2x (PCI66 mode) agp card, I could feature motion blur framebuffer effects, and 1280x960 res using glide.. (aka no matter if you've got a p2 300, works wonder)

that is simply amazing.

I support this guy.

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I just don't see the need to pay $6,000 for a graphics plugin for an emulator. Like, it's nice and all, but people do these things for free all the time. Hell the guy who made the N64 emulator that this plugin is for probably made it for free. It's not something that should be made a "full time job."

Also like any Kickstarter, paying upfront with no accountability is a dumb idea. He could easily say "I'm bored of this project or hit a wall" and abandon it but keep all the money.

this guy is credible, he worked on Glide64

Reactions: the_randomizer

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Work = less time.
No work = no money.

That's why he needs the money.

But the guy who made the emulator this is for probably put his own resources into it and made it while carrying on a job.

I just really hate Kickstarters (well this is an "indiegogo" but it's the same thing) and this one is no exception.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
End of the day no one is forcing anyone to pay any money for anything. If at the end of it, we come out with near perfect N64 emulation then I'm all for it and fair play to the guy for putting aside months to work on this full time.

To be honest I'm surprised this sort of thing hasn't happened more. I'd expect people would be all over donating if a group came out and said they could all work full time and perfect say a PS2 emulator which doesn't require sky high demands of PC hardware as it does currently. I've no doubt people would contribute tens of thousands to see a project like that through to completion in total.

Reactions: the_randomizer

Sizednochi

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Getting Anti-aliasing and a Widescreen Hack behind a $4000 paywall is alerady strange enough, but why would you need that much money to get "native resolution support"? Isn't that taken for granted and rendering anything beyond that is the difficult part?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
End of the day no one is forcing anyone to pay any money for anything. If at the end of it, we come out with near perfect N64 emulation then I'm all for it and fair play to the guy for putting aside months to work on this full time.

To be honest I'm surprised this sort of thing hasn't happened more. I'd expect people would be all over donating if a group came out and said they could all work full time and perfect say a PS2 emulator which doesn't require sky high demands of PC hardware as it does currently. I've no doubt people would contribute tens of thousands to see a project like that through to completion in total.

The argument of "no one is FORCING you to do X" is a tired one. It doesn't stop the principle, it's just saying "W-well stay out of our business!"

I mean if people with technical skills like this want to make money from their skills they should get a job that does so. When numerous other plugins and other freeware has come out that dwarfs this, asking for $6,000 seems a bit ridiculous. People have done more for free out of their own passion and love for their respective hobby, you shouldn't have to pay someone for a plugin.

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Getting Anti-aliasing and a Widescreen Hack behind a $4000 paywall is alerady strange enough, but why would you need that much money to get "native resolution support"? Isn't that taken for granted and rendering anything beyond that is the difficult part?

More money = less work = more time = more features
The argument of "no one is FORCING you to do X" is a tired one. It doesn't stop the principle, it's just saying "W-well stay out of our business!"

I mean if people with technical skills like this want to make money from their skills they should get a job that does so. When numerous other plugins and other freeware has come out that dwarfs this, asking for $6,000 seems a bit ridiculous. People have done more for free out of their own passion and love for their respective hobby, you shouldn't have to pay someone for a plugin.

How long does the freeware take to make without a job?

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think that means rendering at your monitors native resolution? And it's not so much a paywall, it's more of a "if I have more money, I can afford to work on this longer".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill