Hardware AMD RX 480. What are your thoughts?

Flirkyn

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ok. Well I'll see how it turn out. I read some where that AMD will release driver Thuesday to stabilize that. Maybe if custom card will be here in little time I'll ask for a refund and buy one instead. In generale do the custom card are out shortly after reference card ?

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I just bought one today, the Sapphire model with a reference cooler. Seems to work a treat so far. Used to get roughly 45fps in Rise of the Tomb Radier on max settings, now get average of 88fps in the benchmark. I was previously using an R9 280X 3GB. Nice to have 8GB VRAM too, can finally use Ultra textures in Tomb Raider and Arkham Knight.

Doom seems to run around 150fps on Ultra. I like this card. :)

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Flirkyn

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I just bought one today, the Sapphire model with a reference cooler. Seems to work a treat so far. Used to get roughly 45fps in Rise of the Tomb Radier on max settings, now get average of 88fps in the benchmark. I was previously using an R9 280X 3GB. Nice to have 8GB VRAM too, can finally use Ultra textures in Tomb Raider and Arkham Knight.

Doom seems to run around 150fps on Ultra. I like this card. :)
Ahah I have buy a Sapphire too. Do you have any problem with the power consommation on pci-e ?

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I'm not entirely sure how to test for this, but I've had zero issues with crashes or throttling (which is what I would assume would happen). The only crash I had was when I tried to overclock a tad too much.

I'd assume it's more to do with your motherboard. Cheaper motherboards are presumably more power limited over PCIe.

Flirkyn

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm not entirely sure how to test for this, but I've had zero issues with crashes or throttling (which is what I would assume would happen). The only crash I had was when I tried to overclock a tad too much.

I'd assume it's more to do with your motherboard. Cheaper motherboards are presumably more power limited over PCIe.
I bought that motherboard : http://www.gigabyte.fr/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5606#ov Is it considered a cheap mobo ? (I don't really know things about it ^^")

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It should be fine.

I wouldn't worry about this unnecessarily. People are rightly voicing concerns because of scenarios where the card might draw more than 150W but I'm not really aware of confirmed cases of issues arising. Simply concerns about hypothetical scenarios.

AMD have a fix in the works through a driver update. http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-radeon-r9-rx-480-8gb-review,1.html

Flirkyn

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well guess I'm just a little stressed about all of that ^^"
Thanks for your answers ^^ Can't wait to receive mine ^^

Fazana

Professional Trashposter
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a feeling that the RX480 is going to have a recall. If they don't have the ability to fix power issues via drivers without directly hurting performance, then it's probably gonna get recalled.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I have a feeling that the RX480 is going to have a recall. If they don't have the ability to fix power issues via drivers without directly hurting performance, then it's probably gonna get recalled.
Don't scare people. :) We've not had any confirmed issues yet. I suspect it will be fixed by the drivers dropping the default voltages rather than clock speeds.

Fazana

Professional Trashposter
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm sure it can be fixed entirely via voltage lowering, might affect overclocking headroom quite a bit though.

Really, most of the problems that the RX480 has launched with shouldn't be an issue on any slightly higher end aftermarket cards. They'd probably slap 8 pin connectors on there and use a cooling system that isn't made of solidified ass and scrap cardboard.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, 4th what?