Not open for further replies.

Gaboros

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
VentusVanitas said:
YsMenu (or YSm3) has the problem with frag, but it is no where near as bad as Woodr4 for m3.

I wish i was a coder, so i could help you out gab, but i'm sadly not
frown.gif

-VentusVanitas

If you read carefully what I quoted from YWG he is speaking about the "game" subset is not public. But we could easily fix with that subset the fragmentation bug.
I just given up on the DMA redesign for 2 reason:
a, I don't know a lot about that language
b, It controls the chip/processor of the card so if I screw up something I can easily break my card.

But even if we doesn't redesign the DMA maybe I can found out something in the loading which could avoid that problem. Of course I will give out if I got something usefully but currently I just got some non/bad working version.
frown.gif

Keram

Newcomer
Trophies
In the wetter and more windy parts of Germany
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hello everyone, just registered to say thanks for this great project.

I like what menuDO does to the DS and I like that it works together with Wood for M3.
Thanks for making Wood available to M3! Though at first I had some difficulties with the fragmented saves (and a save not being created at all though the loader said it was fragmented), everything now works like a charm.

Also, on a side note:
The link for menuDO you provide in your starting post does not work because the ... in your link are literal, they are not just shortening the link. Maybe a bad case of copy and paste?
smile.gif

Here's the one I used:
http://www.menudo.yolasite.com/resources/m...wood-source.zip

Thanks again for Wood!
smile.gif

Gaboros

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Keram said:
Hello everyone, just registered to say thanks for this great project.

I like what menuDO does to the DS and I like that it works together with Wood for M3.
Thanks for making Wood available to M3! Though at first I had some difficulties with the fragmented saves (and a save not being created at all though the loader said it was fragmented), everything now works like a charm.

Also, on a side note:
The link for menuDO you provide in your starting post does not work because the ... in your link are literal, they are not just shortening the link. Maybe a bad case of copy and paste?
smile.gif

Here's the one I used:
http://www.menudo.yolasite.com/resources/m...wood-source.zip

Thanks again for Wood!
smile.gif

Hello! Welcome on GBATemp!
biggrin.gif

You are welcome!
biggrin.gif

Yeah the fragmentation bug is annoying at first, currently I try to found out some alternative fix on it. I hope I can fix it in the future or I can found out something.
smile.gif
But I can not be sure about it.
frown.gif

Thanks for grabbing my attention, I have fixed the link. Maybe the forum automatically tried to short it. Anyway I added a code tag and this won't happen now!
smile.gif

Enjoy your stay here in GBATemp!
smile.gif

iTEPB

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So is there a tool to defrag the fragmented files while card is in the DS?

Kind of annoying to have to remove the cartage, card, put in reader, run a defrager. I use Piriform Defraggler and analyze, then view files, and only defrag the files that are fragmented. There are only 1 or 2 on he card, and of course the sav file. Allot better then coping the entire contents off then back on again, a few gigs in some cases, covering a higher percent of the card, then just fixing 1 512Kb file.
I ended up just running threw all my DS games I have on the card and creating sav files, it halts on some not on others, then defraggler the sav files.

iTEPB

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jurassicplayer,
Very interesting reads.
However, they do not address the issue at hand.
As flash cards can become fragmented, and in being fragmented the ROM will not run.
So, that ROM or SAV must be defragmented to run.
The current procedure, I would say, will damage the flash card more then a simple defrag.
As stated in one of the links you provided, the more you write to flash the more it "dies"
Writing the entire contents of a flash card over, including files that are not fragmented, will kill the card.
Using a tool, like defraggler, and only targeting the fragmented files, the ROM or SAV, will only move that small amount of data over a fraction of the flash card.
Now if there was a small app that could be placed on the flash card while in the DS, instead of removing the card, which in itself could reduce the longevity of the M3 slot, I would be all for it.
I would never recommend an entire normal optimize defrag, which will move non fragmented files.

Just need a simple on flash card defrager of only fragmented ROM and SAV files, with no movement placement optimization.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-device...tml#post1089691
Current procedure is less damaging than a simple defrag. If it weren't, this method wouldn't have been the method of choice for the past 9000 years.

Maybe a defragmenting homebrew might be better...but...from what I know (which amounts to about one website), defragmentation works by reorganizing 512byte chunks...meaning that just one save file would take at least 1000 cycles to move it to some arbitrary space, and then another 1000 cycles to move it back without fragmentation...ROMs would be even worse...also, since the number of read/write cycles is usually variable...you wouldn't actually have a very predictable...you never actually know when your TF will give out.

Gaboros

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
iTEPB said:
So is there a tool to defrag the fragmented files while card is in the DS?

Kind of annoying to have to remove the cartage, card, put in reader, run a defrager. I use Piriform Defraggler and analyze, then view files, and only defrag the files that are fragmented. There are only 1 or 2 on he card, and of course the sav file. Allot better then coping the entire contents off then back on again, a few gigs in some cases, covering a higher percent of the card, then just fixing 1 512Kb file.
I ended up just running threw all my DS games I have on the card and creating sav files, it halts on some not on others, then defraggler the sav files.

I recommend you to backup all of your files and format your SD card with Panasonic SD formatter then copy all of your files back. All of my files were non-fragmented and I even can not generated fragmented sav file because my computer just copied all of the files in the clusters which is following each other.
smile.gif

Of course there are defragmenter programs, too. For example iobit defragmenter but I do not recommend you to use. I don't believe it would damage your SD card better then other works (your have also mentioned in your post). I just not recommend to you.
smile.gif

Or just use at your own risk...
smile.gif

iTEPB

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah Gaboros, is there a way to have the WoodR4M3 software write non fragmented files? With Akaio, Sakura, YSM3, Touchpad, I never ran into a fragmented ROM or SAV file issues. When I got the flash card I did a format with the Panasonic program. Of course that only needs to be done once. I don't understand how so many people are ok with formatting and entire card, then coping back all of their files. Gigs of data written back to the card, rather then just move off then back on to the card only the fragmented files. Or in my case defraging the files. It sounds to me that people heard that defraging was bad for flash media, and now regardless of procedure are against it, and accept formatting, then write all the data back. To me that is irrational. How can that procedure be more beneficial then just defraging a single ROM or SAV? No one answered has answered that, only posted file placement optimized defrag warnings, which is not what I am suggesting, or total format "start from scratch". Both will write much more data then is required to fix the issue. More writes = quicker death.

I believe I got my answer from multiple sources, there is no file defrager for the DS.

Gaboros

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
iTEPB said:
Ah Gaboros, is there a way to have the WoodR4M3 software write non fragmented files? With Akaio, Sakura, YSM3, Touchpad, I never ran into a fragmented ROM or SAV file issues. When I got the flash card I did a format with the Panasonic program. Of course that only needs to be done once. I don't understand how so many people are ok with formatting and entire card, then coping back all of their files. Gigs of data written back to the card, rather then just move off then back on to the card only the fragmented files. Or in my case defraging the files. It sounds to me that people heard that defraging was bad for flash media, and now regardless of procedure are against it, and accept formatting, then write all the data back. To me that is irrational. How can that procedure be more beneficial then just defraging a single ROM or SAV? No one answered has answered that, only posted file placement optimized defrag warnings, which is not what I am suggesting, or total format "start from scratch". Both will write much more data then is required to fix the issue. More writes = quicker death.

I believe I got my answer from multiple sources, there is no file defrager for the DS.

I have formatted my card and after I have generated about 30 sav files randomly with my DS and neither of them were fragmented.
Anyway you can defrag your SD card with this tool.
Use at your own risk! Formatting is better.

iTEPB

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wanted to post a few images of the defrag method I have been stating and using. Perhaps it will explain what I am trying to convey better then text. In Before you can see I scanned the flash card and the program found a few fragmented SAV files. I could not run those games until the SAV files were 1 continuous segment. I selected ONLY the fragmented files, then defragmented ONLY those files. Reading (no damage) the multiple fragments of each SAV file, then writing (hurtful) ONLY the few SAV files into a continuous segment. In the after screen you can see only the fragmented files were placed, all the other files were left untouched. They were not written as they would be if one formats the entire card, then writes (hurtful) all the ROM, SAV, system, etc back onto the card. This method only modifies a small percent of the card, not writing over the entire card.

I take it there is no way to make WoodR4M3 (best software by the way) auto defrag or only write in a full file segment.

Images of before and after:

http://img88.imageshack.us/i/befores.jpg/

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

http://img194.imageshack.us/i/afteraf.jpg/

Gaboros

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
iTEPB said:
I wanted to post a few images of the defrag method I have been stating and using. Perhaps it will explain what I am trying to convey better then text. In Before you can see I scanned the flash card and the program found a few fragmented SAV files. I could not run those games until the SAV files were 1 continuous segment. I selected ONLY the fragmented files, then defragmented ONLY those files. Reading (no damage) the multiple fragments of each SAV file, then writing (hurtful) ONLY the few SAV files into a continuous segment. In the after screen you can see only the fragmented files were placed, all the other files were left untouched. They were not written as they would be if one formats the entire card, then writes (hurtful) all the ROM, SAV, system, etc back onto the card. This method only modifies a small percent of the card, not writing over the entire card.

I take it there is no way to make WoodR4M3 (best software by the way) auto defrag or only write in a full file segment.

Images of before and after:

http://img88.imageshack.us/i/befores.jpg/

http://img194.imageshack.us/i/afteraf.jpg/

If you have enough free space for save files it enough to move it to your PC and then back on your SD. Or on a well formatted SD it generate almost every time to be non-fragmented.
I don't say your method isn't good but think this is a bit safer. Or maybe not...
smile.gif

temp4746

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Is it better to use .sav or .nds.sav for WoodM3?

P.S: You can change it in the system settings.

Gaboros

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
temp4746 said:
Is it better to use .sav or .nds.sav for WoodM3?

P.S: You can change it in the system settings.

It doesn't matter. The performance is the same and everything. But .sav used by YSM3 and by the original firmwares. So I recommend to change it to .sav.
Of course it can be changed in the system settings.
smile.gif

airpirate545

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
How do I update the engine for Menudo so I can play Inazuma Eleven patched (which worked perfectly on M3 Wood but gives me a rom err=4 when i try to use Menudo)

Gaboros

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
airpirate545 said:
How do I update the engine for Menudo so I can play Inazuma Eleven patched (which worked perfectly on M3 Wood but gives me a rom err=4 when i try to use Menudo)

Read the first post. You can found "MenuDO and WoodR4 for M3" there. In the spoiler I have written how can you implement the WoodR4 for M3 loader to Menudo. So if you follow my instruction you will get a Menudo with Wood loader. (same game compatibility)

airpirate545

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
gaboros said:
airpirate545 said:

Read the first post. You can found "MenuDO and WoodR4 for M3" there. In the spoiler I have written how can you implement the WoodR4 for M3 loader to Menudo. So if you follow my instruction you will get a Menudo with Wood loader. (same game compatibility)
Thanks gaboros! I think I would have forgotten my M3 Real had it not been for you
biggrin.gif
And to update the loaders when M3 Wood gets updated I just replace the system and _rpg folders?

Jediknightjace

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So is this supposed to work with M3 Perfect SD (Slot-2 card with Passcard)? Because it doesn't work on mine. It won't auto-boot, and when I boot it manually, I get 3 icons (MicroSD, Slot-2, and a folder), but no text. I've tried other firmwares that are supposed to work on the M3 Perfect, but nothing auto-boots, and if I boot them manually, I get errors that typically contain the words FAT or libFAT. I have formatted my card to both FAT and FAT32, but nothing works. Any help or explanations would be appreciated.

Gaboros

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
airpirate545 said:
gaboros said:
airpirate545 said:

Thanks gaboros! I think I would have forgotten my M3 Real had it not been for you
biggrin.gif
And to update the loaders when M3 Wood gets updated I just replace the system and _rpg folders?

You are welcome!
biggrin.gif

It would be enough just copy the loader (loader.nds) if you don't use the original wood menu. If you use, just install wood in the normal way.

QUOTE(Jediknightjace @ Feb 4 2011, 12:28 AM)
So is this supposed to work with M3 Perfect SD (Slot-2 card with Passcard)? Because it doesn't work on mine. It won't auto-boot, and when I boot it manually, I get 3 icons (MicroSD, Slot-2, and a folder), but no text. I've tried other firmwares that are supposed to work on the M3 Perfect, but nothing auto-boots, and if I boot them manually, I get errors that typically contain the words FAT or libFAT. I have formatted my card to both FAT and FAT32, but nothing works. Any help or explanations would be appreciated.

In the first post the working card list need confirmation. Looks like then it doesn't work with M3 Perfect. That error which you have written happens if the dldi patching is bad.
Anyone can confirm that it doesn't work on M3 Perfect? Anyway I just edit the first post.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: After watching, that I feel like I'm on them already