Gaming AGS-001 Screen/Light Assembly into OG GBA MOD

Nusdogg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's a much cleaner image with same GBA handheld. No more glare like the old fashion front light panel mod:

IMG_5180_zps445a603e.jpg

Reactions: nxwing

Nusdogg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a new front light ribbon cable for my AGS001 screen and light assembly. This cable came with a switch. You can have it dim or on bright setting which is awesome BTW:
DSC_0105_zpslyxrfqfq.jpg

Nusdogg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Skops

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi! I finally recibed my ribbon cable for AGS 001 for 40 pin.

http://www.ebay.es/itm/181712654148?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

(I only buy the cable)

I doing the mod with the repaired screen AGS 001, I repaired first the break flex cable, you can see it in this video:

But I have two questions to continue:

1. Wich is the correct point in C56 for the soldering the red whire, the pad 1 or 2? and why is it necessary to solder this cable?

2323361c3b1d6280cc0c6f046c589144o.jpg

2. I can't close the full shell, apparently one condensor is very big and the screen AGS 001 too

d2a7d5ed1cc06dd4d8e14c5ed0fff4c8o.jpg
95554eb1741a7a2d864d5c67116085ado.jpg

How you can close the case correctly?

Thank you!! :sp::hrth:

Last edited by Skops,

Nusdogg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But I have two questions to continue:

1. Wich is the correct point in C56 for the soldering the red whire, the pad 1 or 2? and why is it necessary to solder this cable?

2323361c3b1d6280cc0c6f046c589144o.jpg

2. I can't close the full shell, apparently one condensor is very big and the screen AGS 001 too

How you can close the case correctly?

Thank you!! :sp::hrth:

Is that a GBA SP? The C56 location is different than a original GBA hand held.

Skops

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mens, with is the function of the red wire? How many volts it need? I can test in the motherboard a good point for soldering

Triwing

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi guys! I've checked throught this topic, but I have a question...I have an unused backlit cable and a frontlit screen & you said it does not work (I tried :( )...before buying the frontlit cable, I would like to try something...what are the differences between the two cables? Do you think it is possible to mod the backlit one?

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey I recently got a 101 system and broke it on accident within a week of having it. :\ Well now I have the screen to mod that original white GBA I have.

I took the back off, appears to say 1-40 on the back where the ribbon plugs in, the view area from the battery slot has 02 then 7-1. I'm fairly certain I Need a 40 pin ribbon cable adapter. I see plenty of fast US sellers for this, but my concern is that I see some have a wire hanging off to be soldered onto the GBA somewhere, some don't. Which do I need? And is there a preferred video or picture based web site that would lay out how to do this correctly? Thanks.

Also I have the screen assembly out of the top half of the system, but I have no idea how much of this I need to peel away so it's down to what I need.

Edit: Is this the right thing? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Ga...N-OR-32-PIN-/201374782062?hash=item2ee2df526e And where would one go about soldering that wire there if necessary?

Last edited by VmprHntrD,

Bitcrusher

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys :)
Nice to finally find a place, concentrating on the AGS-001 screens, especially as I'm having some problems making my setup work, so this seemed like the obvious place to ask for help.

I got a frontlit ribbon from Lee_chan1985, as per Nusdogg's suggestion (without the P1 spot)
The screen is lit if I only connect the ribbon, but the trouble starts when I solder the red cable to either the spot below R12 or the top spot by C56.

When the red cable is soldered and I turn on the the AGB, only the power led turns on, the screen is completely off and there is no "boot" sound.
I've tried messing with the small "dial" shown in this video at 1:10, with no result:

Any suggestions as to what I could try next, would be deeply appreciated

Last edited by Bitcrusher,

Nusdogg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TanookiSuit, everything in the link is will tell you what to do:

https://rosecoloredgaming.wordpress.com/downloads/

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hi guys :)
Nice to finally find a place, concentrating on the AGS-001 screens, especially as I'm having some problems making my setup work, so this seemed like the obvious place to ask for help.

I got a frontlit ribbon from Lee_chan1985, as per Nusdogg's suggestion (without the P1 spot)
The screen is lit if I only connect the ribbon, but the trouble starts when I solder the red cable to either the spot below R12 or the top spot by C56.

When the red cable is soldered and I turn on the the AGB, only the power led turns on, the screen is completely off and there is no "boot" sound.
I've tried messing with the small "dial" shown in this video at 1:10, with no result:

Any suggestions as to what I could try next, would be deeply appreciated

It could be a bad cable. Unless you try to resolder it and make sure there's no cold joint.

Hi guys! I've checked throught this topic, but I have a question...I have an unused backlit cable and a frontlit screen & you said it does not work (I tried :( )...before buying the frontlit cable, I would like to try something...what are the differences between the two cables? Do you think it is possible to mod the backlit one?

I believe there's a resistor built onto the front lit cable unlike the back lit one. The back lit cable will burn out the front light. Hope this helps.

Just thought I'd share my collection:

IMG_5752_zps87ldcqgw.jpg

Nusdogg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, if I find a resistor and solder it to the backlit cable, theoretically I should get the same result as a frontlit one, right?

(btw that's a wonderful collection)

Thanks.

It has to be a specific line wire in the cable tho. It's a weird custom cable to be honest.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgwfObY-WDQ