Gaming AGS-001 Screen/Light Assembly into OG GBA MOD

Nusdogg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do I something wrong if I would solder it to R12 ?

It might blow out the LED light. C56 is the only recommended soldering point for this mod. I killed my other front light unit by soldering it to the same point you would for a AGS101 back light screen, it wasn't a good idea; therefore, C56 is recommended.

Kotkotenshi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I use everything that came with SP screen including the front light. Everything.

Yes, I use the screen w/o the SP glass. I was just testing the SP screen in that picture to see if the screen will work in the GBA motherboard.

It closes. It's a tight fit but it will closes. You have to grind down the front shell like you do for the back lit AGS101 screen. If you look up the tutorial on youtube for the GBA back lit mod, they tell you to grind down the front shell casing so that it'll fit the screen better. Thats how I did with the AGS001 front screen and front light. Same thing as you would when modding a AGS101 back lit into a GBA.

Here's a picture I just took of mine:

GBA_SPFrontLit_zpsm8naa3bf.jpg

As you can see, I have the GBASP AGS001 LCD screen and the front light all together stuffed into my original GBA console. It'll fit if you grind down the ridges on the inside of the front shell casing to make more room.

Hi you were so right it looks way better, although I tried my best fitting into the shell, and I'm unsure of the pressure it's falling on the lcd it has a darker point in the front, but if I loose the screw more the l and r button are unstable :(

Attachments

• WP_20151211_00_37_21_Pro.jpg
    WP_20151211_00_37_21_Pro.jpg
    524.3 KB · Views: 618

Nusdogg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi you were so right it looks way better, although I tried my best fitting into the shell, and I'm unsure of the pressure it's falling on the lcd it has a darker point in the front, but if I loose the screw more the l and r button are unstable :(
Move or fold the adapter cable the other way, so it doesnt put pressure on that spot. I had that issue before but somehow I don't have that black spot anymore after I disassembled and reassembled it.

So did it work now? You had the ribbon cable installed wrong?

Last edited by Nusdogg,

Kotkotenshi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Move or fold the adapter cable the other way, so it doesnt put pressure on that spot. I had that issue before but somehow I don't have that black spot anymore after I disassembled and reassembled it.

So did it work now? You had the ribbon cable installed wrong?
Yep, I had misplaced it :lol:. Ok I'll try moving the cable

Reactions: Nusdogg

Kotkotenshi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Fold it like this,

IMG_20140815_154602_zps43fjc0us.jpg

Let me know if it works and post picture of the new screen on. :D

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

My collection of GBA. I sold the AGS101 GBASP tho.

IMG_5752_zpsjohadwki.jpg
So I reopened it and the conector of the lcd and the conector of the adapter were touching and that was making he pressure on the lcd so I folded it upwards the adapter cable. This were the parts touching, see first image.

Also I tried my best clening the screen also some glue got in and my crappy call camera doesnt help but here are some pics, it looks better in person
WP_20151212_04_29_24_Pro.jpg

Herethe other picswith crappy cell camera it looks better in person
WP_20151212_05_31_17_Pro.jpg
WP_20151212_05_31_51_Pro.jpg
WP_20151212_05_32_25_Pro.jpg
WP_20151212_05_32_33_Pro.jpg
WP_20151212_05_33_06_Pro.jpg

Also a few years ago my brother broke my gba sp accidentally, so I bought a new shell and a new lcd screen, I already got the lcd screen but the shell I bought from leechan is taking more to arrive than the previous cable adapter
Foto1140.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20151212_05_02_49_Pro.jpg
    WP_20151212_05_02_49_Pro.jpg
    694 KB · Views: 434
  • WP_20151212_05_31_17_Pro.jpg
    WP_20151212_05_31_17_Pro.jpg
    552.6 KB · Views: 465
  • WP_20151212_05_31_27_Pro.jpg
    WP_20151212_05_31_27_Pro.jpg
    506.6 KB · Views: 502
  • WP_20151212_05_32_33_Pro.jpg
    WP_20151212_05_32_33_Pro.jpg
    566.8 KB · Views: 441
  • WP_20151212_05_33_06_Pro.jpg
    WP_20151212_05_33_06_Pro.jpg
    633.3 KB · Views: 874
Reactions: Nusdogg

Nusdogg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need a new front light from a broken SP. It's got too much scratch and dust on it. :D

Also, my connector adapter was hitting the same as yours. Try moving it around like a little to the left or more to the right to see if it'll fix the "too much pressure" issue.

chomel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hey everyone. I'm planning on putting a AGS-001 screen into my old GBA AGB, but I'm having a hard time finding ribbon cable adapter for AGS-001. There was that Lee_Chan. But apparently I can't order from him anymore because of legal stuff, not possible to order from France blablabla...

Anyway, I'm looking for other ribbon cables and the only thing I could find was on HAND HELD LEGEND. The thing is it seems to be an adaptor for AGS-101, but they write both 001 and 101 adapter. What do you think about that?

Do you know any other seller for this cable?

Nusdogg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone. I'm planning on putting a AGS-001 screen into my old GBA AGB, but I'm having a hard time finding ribbon cable adapter for AGS-001. There was that Lee_Chan. But apparently I can't order from him anymore because of legal stuff, not possible to order from France blablabla...

Anyway, I'm looking for other ribbon cables and the only thing I could find was on HAND HELD LEGEND. The thing is it seems to be an adaptor for AGS-101, but they write both 001 and 101 adapter. What do you think about that?

Do you know any other seller for this cable?

Lee Chan is the only one who makes these as far as I know. I've tried the 101 adapter cable and it blew my front light.

A short video I did of both my back and front lit GBA comparison.

MadMod

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question... i modded my gba to charge by mini usb. Only thing is, doing so raised the overall voltage running through the thing from 3v to roughly 3.5. The system doesn't mind it, it runs great. What i'm wondering is, if i install the gba sp screen, will the increased voltage burn it out?

Nusdogg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question... i modded my gba to charge by mini usb. Only thing is, doing so raised the overall voltage running through the thing from 3v to roughly 3.5. The system doesn't mind it, it runs great. What i'm wondering is, if i install the gba sp screen, will the increased voltage burn it out?
I think it will. Not too sure tho. Give it a shot and report back.

guidob

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hi Nusdogg, can you post an image of the ags 001 ribbon cable that lee builds? because i can solder a resistor to the ags 101 ribbon cable. That way it would be easier for the people who can't get an ags 101 screen (where i live is almost non-existent). Thanks!

Retrocade81

Trophies
XP
Country
Looks like anyone wanting to do this AGS-001 to AGB-001 mod will now either have to go down the horrid glary afterburner route "if you can even find one", use a worm light "practically useless" or pay a fortune for an AGS-101 screen as the cable we need so as to use the AGS-001 screen is not being produced or supplied anymore! Unless someone knows of anyone other than lee_chan1985 who makes them?
I really wanted to do this as I prefer the shape of the AGB model :-( I think I'll just sell my trusty AGB for an SP now!
Proper Gutted! :-(

Retrocade81

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks mate I checked earlier all he has is a link connector listed. If someone can confirm if the power comes from the ribbon or the wire that goes to c56 I can buy a AGS-101 adapter and modify it with a resistor inline either on the wire or by cutting the trace on the ribbon then if it's doable I'll make a few up to sell to you guys cheap. I'm determined to overcome this I have hands like a gorilla and an SP would cramp me up bigtime.

Last edited by Retrocade81,

guidob

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Thanks mate I checked earlier all he has is a link connector listed. If someone can confirm if the power comes from the ribbon or the wire that goes to c56 I can buy a AGS-101 adapter and modify it with a resistor inline either on the wire or by cutting the trace on the ribbon then if it's doable I'll make a few up to sell to you guys cheap. I'm determined to overcome this I have hands like a gorilla and an SP would cramp me up bigtime.

if you take a look at the second page of his items, you will see a kit with the screen AGS 001, the cable, and a shell, the whole kit for $60 i think. It's a good price, better than the AGS 101 screen kits. If you have a multimeter,you could check the power line in the cable, but i'm not sure if attaching a resistor would be practical, as you need to modify the ribbon and it's not easy. You could compare the voltages between 001 and 101 screens to determine the value of the resistor.

Retrocade81

Trophies
XP
Country
if you take a look at the second page of his items, you will see a kit with the screen AGS 001, the cable, and a shell, the whole kit for $60 i think. It's a good price, better than the AGS 101 screen kits. If you have a multimeter,you could check the power line in the cable, but i'm not sure if attaching a resistor would be practical, as you need to modify the ribbon and it's not easy. You could compare the voltages between 001 and 101 screens to determine the value of the resistor.
Yeah I have spotted it and am about to purchase it.

Thanks mate.

Reactions: guidob

Jay Sheth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! I tried doing this mod myself and I followed instructions both on youtube and this thread, but I think I'm still missing something. I got the cable from Leechan on Ebay, had a friend solder it to the point recommended here, and this is how it looks most of the time, basically the same as if the gba sp had its light off.

IMG_3613.JPG

At one point I got it to look like this, which looks better in the pic but I'm even not sure how, could it be by adjusting the front panel or messing with the voltage meter
IMG_3616.JPG

IMG_3613.JPG
IMG_3616.JPG

IMG_3619.JPG
IMG_3618.JPG
IMG_3617.JPG

At this point I think it might be the plastic/glass panel thing that goes over the screen but I'm not sure how to set that right and make it stay, but it could just as easily be something else.

Nusdogg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! I tried doing this mod myself and I followed instructions both on youtube and this thread, but I think I'm still missing something. I got the cable from Leechan on Ebay, had a friend solder it to the point recommended here, and this is how it looks most of the time, basically the same as if the gba sp had its light off.

At one point I got it to look like this, which looks better in the pic but I'm even not sure how, could it be by adjusting the front panel or messing with the voltage meteAt this point I think it might be the plastic/glass panel thing that goes over the screen but I'm not sure how to set that right and make it stay, but it could just as easily be something else.
Put it in the GBA casing. I believe the light outputs is being thrown off out into the open from all four sides of the light panel which may cause the dimming light output cause there's no barrier like a shell casing to do so.

Last edited by Nusdogg,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.