EFA Linker 512 can't write in roms using Client 2.62

Coollink_95

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
(Sorry for my poor English in advance :unsure:)
I'm trying to get my old EFA Linker work these days, my grandfather bought it to me with a AUS version black GBASP around 2004~2006, can't remember the date.
I played with it for sometime, it was fuctioned alright back then, RTC in main menu, run the games and saving ability was just fine. But one day something went wrong, it can't save no more, and the clock will reset every time I restart GBASP. It went worse later, I can't launch the games at all, and... when I insert the card and turn the power on, I can't even see the Nintendo logo, only GAME BOY shows up until now.
Back in the days I was only a kid, I don't know anything about this machine (GBASP) and the card itself, I managed to took off the stickers on the card, tried to use black markpen to make the back of my GBASP and the card surface looks in one piece lol (I can't read English at all back then). This causes the problem when recognizing this card is 256 or 512 or Long card or some other version cards.

Now huge Thanks to how_do_i_do_that and all these old threads I could find here, I miraculously got my card connected to my Virtual Machine XP System, and installed the drivers, downloaded the Client and sucessfully detected my card. The Client shows this card is a 512M card. (I tried installing other drivers for longcard and fake simple card without RTC, only 2.62 could work.)
My pc detected my card, I am super excited when seeing the green light lit on the card, I never seen it before in my life. However, when I'm trying to writing some small early GBA roms into the card for a test (2001, 4MB game), damn new problems show up.

The Client shows it's writing roms into the card, I can see the process going, but once it's done, it refresh the list automatically, the list looks still blank, and I think it actually is... There's still no game in the card. I unplug the card, and reconnect it to the computer, sucessfully detected thanks god, but it's still an empty card. I restart my computer, reinstall the driver, try different roms to write in, none of these methods worked so far. I insert the card back to my GBASP, it still only display GAME BOY. I have the card connected to the computer almost 48 hours, according to the Instructions it supposed to be fully charged already. Where's the problem?? I thought I almoosst made it, get this old thing come back alive to work again, but I stuck here... It's so close!
Please help! I will be very very appreciated...! I really want to fix it.

88742af7688e6d577363c44be2e5b89.jpg
d41a5a2e25e1994c546c4c86c582067.jpg
36b7bf7e86afdcbb6d75dba38fb7300.jpg
c837cbe517760ca1f0498c6e18d5880.jpg
1d0864024e59e242162460a388a450c.jpg

Is its battery dead? Do I need to replace the battery? After replacing the battery, will this can't write rom problem be solved? I have no clue, it's too old, I can't find any other informations about EFA Linker elsewhere, all I could do is to count on gaining anwsers from you guys...

Reactions: assassinz

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
:mellow: I have an EFA Linker 256. I had the same problem trying to get the 2.62 client to work in Virtual XP. Sorry, maybe someone can help but all I can suggest is find a PC running actual WinXP or else buy a new cart. I bought an EZ-Flash IV years ago to replace it. And now I just bought an Everdrive GBA mini.

Coollink_95

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Huge thanks to your replies!!:yaysp: I think I may need to update my progress here XD.

After messing with it for almost 2 months, I decide to give up fixing this old flash cart.:sad:

In the previous month I successfully replaced the battery with a new Panasonic VL2020 I could find and purchase, it's for BMW car keys but I think it works. However, this can't write rom problem still exists, nothing changed.

I managed to find and installed Client 2.81, even 2.83, didn't help.

Seek for other possible solutions here, then I installed another Windows XP system with Service Pack 2 (don't know what version is "lower" than SP2) as Virtual Machine, tried all Clients I have. bruh nothing changed.

I still believe, there's only one last thing I'm able to do, find an actual computer that run XP on it. It's hard to find one these days:rofl:, XP computers is almost as rare as this damn cart around my place, but I still mannnngeddd to find one... with WinXP Pro fessional SP3. I can't ask the owner to reinstall the system to lower versions. I gave it a hopeful shot and it failed without doubt.

I was sad, miserable, but still calm. I click those buttons, open and close these client folders and files aimlessly. I read the instruction over and over again, suddenly when I saw

LED on the EFA Card would be red when the ROM´s list are written.

Don’t plug off USB cable when lighten red, it will cause a fatal hardware damage to your card.

it occured to me that, I rememebered the very first time I plug this cart into an actual WinXP computer, it was 6 years ago and I know nothing about this EFA LINKER, GBA and flashcart stuff just as I said above. At that time, I could clearly recall, the client did detected my cart and THERE WERE SOME GAMES IN IT! I mean, it's not just display a pure blank sheets like right now, I remembered the title GBAMinish(?) (minishcap) is at the top place.
THEN GODDAMMIT I HIT THE FORMAAT BUTTON!!! aughh why did I do taht ?!?!! It was formatted of course, and then I want to write some games into it, maybe, i dont really remember, maybe this cant write rom problem happend, I tried mutiple times. THEN I TRIED TO PLUG OFF CABLE WHEN LIGHTEN RED! ALSO MUTIPLE TIMES!! no wonder... OF COURSE IT WILL CAUSE A fatal hardware DAMMAGEEE DAMMITT!!! what was I thinking??! Maybe it's already completely dead 6 years ago just because I CLICKED that damn format button without thinking twice. Maybe I still have chance to save it, if it wasnt formatted, I keep it safe, replace a new battery and it might just come back alive! BUT I PLUGED OOF AND PLUGBAACKAEUIFHAUIFIAY

I dunno guys, I brought this all on myself:rofl2: Have no idea what to do next. Perhaps I can find an actual pc with WinXP SP2(or lower).
I give up fixing it for now... I will keep this EFA LINKER 512 safe, Maybe one day I could still have chance to get it back to work.
It's nearly right 20 years... Rest in peace. Apr.2004~2024.
Post automatically merged:

Here are some photos I took after I replaced the battery.
as you can see, I tried to write a small early rom into it by using 2.81 (I tried 2.83 later too)
I refresh, it's empty, I add rom, click write rom button, everthing seems going well, and bam, still empty:unsure:
bdd5daba2dbb53fd95308efb182882c.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg

I dont plan to buy new flashcarts for now, they are too expensive, let alone I already got my new nintendo 3ds XL with me:yay3ds: but bro got it's back, errr, removable shell? broke just yesterday:wacko: (sry 4 my english)
That hole is sooo weak, i treated it with my great care... bruh. RIP my original n3dsXL beautiful back.

I wish I could make some new friends on 3ds, it's very rare to see people play these handheld consoles here. I got only one streetpass for years:mellow: love you all!
FRIEND CODE: 5000 - 6749 - 8243
9638701a51c15e0a5e4c2988ebff771.jpg
e3fa91a31f9884646453d9c4e28a0f5.jpg

3db7fad85370d0f1f93b61678e23b1a.jpg

c8812018d985c12e86e136d0c21a017.jpg

Last edited by Coollink_95,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol