Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I don't even know why so much fuss over such a dumb game, hue
People talk as if those short stages were worth anything.
Well, because some of us are legitimatly interested for those rom hacks? I don't know :P

Chris_Highwind

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, I'm getting a "save file corrupted" error when running it in Mednafen...

EDIT: I used an existing ROM I had that was save-patched, and was able to get it to run. Hopefully it doesn't break the main game.

Last edited by Chris_Highwind,

Hiccup

Trophies
XP
Country
Some emulators probably won't support this. Doesn't mean the dump is bad though....

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone give a SHA-1 hash of what the ROM is supposed to be, before and after patching?

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so upon further inspection of the roms. (All of them, not just the eShop one)

I've come to the conclusion that there is no working patch for SMA4 on AGB_FIRM on 3DS at ALL, the one posted to the GBA 2 CIA topic is broken as well, even when applied to the correct rom and everything.
Even the ones that "work" have a problem with corruption in one way or another.

If I save the same save twice in the standard mode, it will write to the second file instead of the first and this causes the corruption and save data loss.
No idea how to fix it either. One time when loading a save it threw up the "Save data is corrupt" error again at me in the file select screen.

And this is on the patch that was from the GBA to CIA topic applied to the appropriate rom the patch was made for.

I did take the time to make a version of this patch to be applied to the eShop version of the rom (After you apply the eShop version IPS) too, actually. It edits the correct bytes to make a "Fixed" version of the eShop rom. But as I've stated, this doesn't actually fix the issue entirely. If you do choose to play the game this way, I strongly recommend you don't use quick saves. (IE, don't pause and pick Save & Quit)

So to be clear, you apply this patch AFTER the eShop patch, and when you generate a footer for the rom using the footer tool, do not change anything.

This patch is ONLY FOR PEOPLE THAT ARE TURNING THE ROM INTO A 3DS CIA, not for general use. This only is to make the game work on a 3DS under CFW.

Attachments

• MarioAdvance4Eshop SavePatch.zip
    222 bytes · Views: 407
Last edited by CheatFreak47,

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so upon further inspection of the roms. (All of them, not just the eShop one)

I've come to the conclusion that there is no working patch for SMA4 on AGB_FIRM at ALL, the one posted to the GBA 2 CIA topic is broken as well, even when applied to the correct rom and everything.

I just want to make sure I understand you correctly here. Are you saying that a 3DS VC inject of this version of Mario Advance 4 simply wont run on the 3DS or are you saying that it gives you the error that the save data is corrupted but the game is still playable? If the save data gets corrupted every time, but the game is still completely playable with all the E-Shop levels, then I'd be fine with that.

Chris_Highwind

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I've come to the conclusion that there is no working patch for SMA4 on AGB_FIRM at ALL, the one posted to the GBA 2 CIA topic is broken as well, even when applied to the correct rom and everything.

If I save the same save twice in the standard mode, it will write to the second file instead of the first and this causes the corruption and save data loss.
No idea how to fix it either. One time when loading a save it threw up the "Save data is corrupt" error again at me in the file select screen.

And this is on the patch that was from the GBA to CIA topic applied to the appropriate rom the patch was made for.

I did take the time to make a version of this patch to be applied to the eShop version of the rom (After you apply the eShop version IPS) too, actually. It edits the correct bytes to make a "Fixed" version of the eShop rom. But as I've stated, this doesn't actually fix the issue entirely. If you do choose to play the game this way, I strongly recommend you don't use quick saves. (IE, don't pause and pick Save & Quit)

So to be clear, you apply this patch AFTER the eShop patch, and when you generate a footer for the rom using the footer tool, do not change anything.

Actually, some people on the iso site have managed to have a fixed copy of SMA4 on AGB_FIRM. The first time you run them, the save's off, but after a reboot, the worst you'll get is a "save is corrupted" message when it's not before it gets to the Nintendo logo.

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just want to make sure I understand you correctly here. Are you saying that a 3DS VC inject of this version of Mario Advance 4 simply wont run on the 3DS or are you saying that it gives you the error that the save data is corrupted but the game is still playable? If the save data gets corrupted every time, but the game is still completely playable with all the E-Shop levels, then I'd be fine with that.

The game is completely playable, but the save data is very very prone to actual corruption, especially when you use quick saves in the standard Super Mario Bros. 3 mode. World e seems to be working flawlessly however. (:

Reactions: VinsCool

nickerous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks everyone involved! I got the first patch working on my revo and ez iv. Didnt see the second patch till just now. Do i need that if this one is working? Is that second one just for gba injection on 3ds?

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, some people on the iso site have managed to have a fixed copy of SMA4 on AGB_FIRM. The first time you run them, the save's off, but after a reboot, the worst you'll get is a "save is corrupted" message when it's not before it gets to the Nintendo logo.
Yeah, well I've determined their "fix" isn't exactly as "fixed" as they thought.
It let's you play the game and save/load but it's very prone to corrupting your save files.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yeah, well I've determined their "fix" isn't exactly as "fixed" as they thought.
It let's you play the game and save/load but it's very prone to corrupting your save files.
We don't need that fix patch for normal play on an emulator right?
Is that ONLY for AGB?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: im back