Hacking A9LH tends to become a religion in GBATemp

Traiver

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm with this religion since last friday, very happy with my setup with Luma3DS 5.5, A9LH & GW, only wanna add the HBL on my A hotkey but I don't know how.

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks to Plailect's Guide, it helps people to upgrade, to setup CFW & A9LH, to help people answer noob easily.
But it also brings more and more bad manner A9LHists start to spread that guide on every request post, and force other GBATemp users to accept A9LH, and ostracize other opinions.

Although Plailect's Guide is an A9LH guide & omitted when you can stop if you don't want to go A9LH (actually if you end at the finish of Part 2 Downgrading, it's indeed a Menuhax guide), it doesn't force readers to follow.

I think there was a closer link to religious activities when Cell9 got bullied

Last edited by izy,

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
<rant>
Whenever I wake up in the morning and check this site for notifications, I usually see at least one "I've been away for a while..." or "I'm new to this, can someone help me setup _____" and all it is is a page of people cramming a9lh down their throat. I highly doubt that most people who have just started 3ds hacking want to setup a9lh. IMO, you should not touch a9lh unless you understand what it does, how it works, etc. Sure it offers sysnand updating, but these people don't give a shit, they are here to pirate games, or use cheats. Most of these threads are full of "what does this mean" and "i am lost, can someone help me with ____" because people mislead them into believing that they absolutely NEED a9lh for their 3ds to install cias. Now, I get giving them the guide and telling them "just follow to the part where it has you setup emuNAND, then ignore the rest unless you want to go there" but people honestly treat a9lh as a life. Regarding the thing about people not giving a shit about if someone else has a9lh, I have seen people tell others to ditch menuhax for whatever minor issue they have and setup a9lh, even when it does not solve their problem. When I setup a9lh, I was tired of dealing with the boot times of my n3ds (it was really bad back then, probably like 30% success for no reason and i didn't give a shit about solving that issue). I understood everything that I did to my ds, my emunand, etc. I had backups up my ass to restore from, and I could risk waiting for a hardmod if I fucked up since I had two spare o3ds's, most of the people that are getting this information crammed down their throat barely know what homebrew is. The point is, people need to stop cramming this down religiously, telling them that there is an option for a9lh is great, it educates the population, but when it gets to the point where they are being told this is the only option, it only causes more threads popping up asking for help because they fucked up. Honestly, I am sorta glad I got into 3ds hacking when having 4.5 was the preferred entrypoint because mset, things were simple (even though I didn't understand most of the stuff at the time), and there wasn't a religion started over it either.
</rant>
tl;dr people need to understand the point of view of who they are talking to, shoving this shit down their throat doesn't help them when they just want piracy and the ability to play online.
(I apologize if I offended anyone in this rant)

Wolfvak

nyaa~
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Thanks to Plailect's Guide, it helps people to upgrade, to setup CFW & A9LH, to help people answer noob easily.
But it also brings more and more bad manner A9LHists start to spread that guide on every request post, and force other GBATemp users to accept A9LH, and ostracize other opinions.

Although Plailect's Guide is an A9LH guide & omitted when you can stop if you don't want to go A9LH (actually if you end at the finish of Part 2 Downgrading, it's indeed a Menuhax guide), it doesn't force readers to follow.
There's a simple yet fatal flaw in your logic: it's an opinion. No one is forced to think like you (or Margen or whoever else), or to accept said opinion as The One True Truth™. Everyone has the right to choose whether they use A9LH, menuhax or keep their stuff completely in userland. There's definitely no "ostracizing", at least from developers, who still support both options (StarUpdater supports menuhax as well, for example)

TL;DR you're not forced to install a9lh. If you do it simply because someone told you to it's because you're probably an idiot who can't think for {him, her}self.

Traiver

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, especially as the HBL relies on process takeover of stuff like home menu to work you'll need the system booted already,
Okay, then I only want to load 3 apps from the scratch using the D-Pad (CTR-HTTPWN, HANS & Save Manager) Can I add them to the D-Pad with liomajors stage.bin? And if so, how? xD

Reactions: XRaidersP

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a simple yet fatal flaw in your logic: it's an opinion. No one is forced to think like you (or Margen or whoever else), or to accept said opinion as The One True Truth™. Everyone has the right to choose whether they use A9LH, menuhax or keep their stuff completely in userland. There's definitely no "ostracizing", at least from developers, who still support both options (StarUpdater supports menuhax as well, for example)

TL;DR you're not forced to install a9lh. If you do it simply because someone told you to it's because you're probably an idiot who can't think for {him, her}self.
You are right about people having the right to chose what they want, but people who are new to the scene look to us for guidance, and when they get a page of "a9lh or gtfo" it is kinda hard for them to go "maybe I should just stick with menuhax"

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Okay, then I only want to load 3 apps from the scratch using the D-Pad (CTR-HTTPWN, HANS & Save Manager) Can I add them to the D-Pad with liomajors stage.bin? And if so, how? xD
All .3dsx files are arm11 code and as such cannot be launched via arm9loaderhax.

Though if you wanted to you could setup menuhax on your EmuNAND, I guess. Not 100% sure on what the best setup with that would be.

Traiver

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All .3dsx files are arm11 code and as such cannot be launched via arm9loaderhax.

Though if you wanted to you could setup menuhax on your EmuNAND, I guess. Not 100% sure on what the best setup with that would be.
Could I setup Menuhax from the scratch holding down L by booting the 3DS, that he goes in HBL instead of A9LH?

Reactions: XRaidersP

EmperorOfCanada

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
tl;dr people need to understand the point of view of who they are talking to, shoving this shit down their throat doesn't help them when they just want piracy and the ability to play online.
(I apologize if I offended anyone in this rant)

Ive had my 3DS less than 2 weeks, and did the full guide pretty much the moment it came out of the box. I dont regret it one bit and am glad it was reccomended to me, personally. I agree it probably isnt for everyone but I think it is probably one of the more elegant solutions and I love the fact that I have backups every step of the way, and even more now that I can button mash the system update and keep everything if something goes wrong. I totally see where you are coming from, people should perhaps be gauging the comfort level of the person before recommending. The guide was not difficult at all to follow, but there is a lot of steps and if I was 15 year old me instead of 30 year old me, I could easily make a stupid mistake.

MelonGx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China

Don't think noobs that clever.
Some of them are probably like the "idiots" what you defined.

Second, a request thread filled with A9LHists' replies cannot offer any comparison if no neutral/opposite side posters join in.

spacelaser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I installed a9lh without really knowing if I really needed it and I probably would have been happy with menuhax but oh wells! I saw all the talk about it after I got on gbatemp after a 5 year hiatus and researched the heck out of it before I did it though so I wouldn't mess it up!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/j-JgIxFZTKY?si=9yG57ooZm1wvSOsz