Hacking A9LH Guide Update - Discussion

DSpider

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I have a few questions regarding this method that weren't in the guide's FAQ:

1. After installing a9lh, you would basically have a fully open 3DS with a (light) CFW that needs the microSD card to boot from, right?

2. After installing a9lh, you're supposed to update the... sysNAND to 11.0.0-33?! Because... that doesn't sound like a very good idea. From what I remember, after 9.2.0, Ninjhax and other entry points are severely crippled. And downgrading is a bit of a pain in the ass after that, too (or maybe even impossible).

3. Is this method going to be compatibile with future Nintendo firmwares?

4. Wouldn't using an emuNAND (or "redNAND") be better after installing a9lh? And a follow-up question: Would there be any drawbacks to using an red/emuNAND after installing a9lh (performance-wise)? Because I'm thinking that keeping your 3DS on an exploitable firmware (9.0.0-20E in my case) and using emuNAND on the latest firmware would be safer. It always sounded like a good idea, but this method is supposed to do away with emuNAND, wtf!

PS: I have a N3DS 9.0.0-20E, a Sky3DS with Cubic Ninja (and ninjhax), so I can start Homebrew Launcher (and subsequently Decrypt9 - but I'll have to update it to "Decrypt9WIP" first).

Last edited by DSpider,

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
1. After installing a9lh, you would basically have a fully open 3DS with a (light) CFW that needs the microSD card to boot from, right?
Yes, but it's possible to boot without SD if you upgrade a9lh to the experimental branch made by aurora wright.
2. After installing a9lh, you're supposed to update the... sysNAND to 11.0.0-33?! Because... that doesn't sound like a very good idea. From what I remember, after 9.2.0, Ninjhax and other entry points are severely crippled. And downgrading is a bit of a pain in the ass after that, too (or maybe even impossible).
No need to worry about it, arm9loaderhax works before the firmware boots, so it doesn't matter what version the firmware is on. You can use other entrypoints like the homebrew launcher CIA to boot the HBL. You can use decrypt9 to downgrade if necessary
Yes, it is impossible for nintendo to patch this
4. Wouldn't using an emuNAND (or "redNAND") be better after installing a9lh? And a follow-up question: Would there be any drawbacks to using an red/emuNAND after installing a9lh (performance-wise)? Because I'm thinking that keeping your 3DS on an exploitable firmware (9.0.0-20E in my case) and using emuNAND on the latest firmware would be safer. It always sounded like a good idea, but this method is supposed to do away with emuNAND, wtf!
No, it's not better because of how a9lh works. However, if there are reasons you need an emunand (like testing something or region swapping), you can still use one. Some drawbacks include less SD card space, potentially slightly longer boot times, and you can't use your 3DS without an SD card in.

Last edited by astronautlevel,

hisagishi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, but it's possible to boot without SD if you upgrade a9lh to the experimental branch made by aurora wright.

No need to worry about it, arm9loaderhax works before the firmware boots, so it doesn't matter what version the firmware is on. You can use other entrypoints like the homebrew launcher CIA to boot the HBL. You can use decrypt9 to downgrade if necessary

Yes, it is impossible for nintendo to patch this

No, it's not better because of how a9lh works. However, if there are reasons you need an emunand (like testing something or region swapping), you can still use one. Some drawbacks include less SD card space, potentially slightly longer boot times, and you can't use your 3DS without an SD card in.

If I used AL9H + unlinked Emunand setup would I still need to install GBA games on both the sysnand and emunand?

I am really confused as to where to start with the new guide. it says it deals exclusively with sysnand, I have a 9.2 menuhax luma3ds setup with ctrbootmanager also installed. Can I just run ctrbootmanager like normal then run decrpyt9 from that or is that considered in emunand?

Last edited by hisagishi,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
OP
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
If I used AL9H + unlinked Emunand setup would I still need to install GBA games on both the sysnand and emunand?

I am really confused as to where to start with the new guide. it says it deals exclusively with sysnand, I have a 9.2 menuhax luma3ds setup with ctrbootmanager also installed. Can I just run ctrbootmanager like normal then run decrpyt9 from that or is that considered in emunand?
Yes, you would. That's one of the many disadvantages to having an emuNAND (there are no benefits, outside of people who want more than one system on the same device - eg for region swapping or beating the 300-title limit).
For starting, Part 1 is just making sure you can access Decrypt9. So download the latest one, put it in your 3ds folder and boot to the homebrew menu so you can access it. Then when you can definitely access it, go to Part 2.

nicklesminer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on this section of the guide:
Section VI - Finalizing setup
  1. Update your CFW SysNAND to the latest version using system settings (if it is not already)
    • If you copied a firmware.bin to /luma/ earlier, delete it after updating or you won't be able to boot
I started out on 4.5 and after I updated and deleted the firmware.bin I just boot to a black screen. I can start with either start or select plus power just fine.

EDIT: If anyone has this issue, I fixed it by updating my wifi settings, I had changed routers since the last time I connected the 3ds online so it wasn't able to connect to download the updates.

Last edited by nicklesminer,

Kohmei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's the deal with the aeskeydb.bin file? It didn't used to be part of the guide, then it was in the root of the SD card, now it's in the files9 directory. What is it and do I really need it after I've done the process?

D

Deleted User

I followed this guide on a New 3DS and every game I've downloaded from Freeshop crashes to "An error has occurred"

EDIT: Nope nevermind, my SD card is dying

Last edited by ,
D

Deleted User

So ran into an interesting find. Did a 6.0.0-12U 2DS, went through the whole process setting up, injected CTR NAND, downgraded, A9LH installed, restore 6.0.0-12U NAND image using Hourglass9. Luma however, refuses to boot and is stuck on the splash screen. I'm using the V2 A9LH, so if I remove the SD the console actually boots normally (from CTRNAND), tried all 6.0-6.1.1 releases, deleting system settings etc... am I missing something obvious?

annson24

The Patient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
What's the deal with the aeskeydb.bin file? It didn't used to be part of the guide, then it was in the root of the SD card, now it's in the files9 directory. What is it and do I really need it after I've done the process?
UP for this, been wondering the same question.
So ran into an interesting find. Did a 6.0.0-12U 2DS, went through the whole process setting up, injected CTR NAND, downgraded, A9LH installed, restore 6.0.0-12U NAND image using Hourglass9. Luma however, refuses to boot and is stuck on the splash screen. I'm using the V2 A9LH, so if I remove the SD the console actually boots normally (from CTRNAND), tried all 6.0-6.1.1 releases, deleting system settings etc... am I missing something obvious?
If you've booted whilst the sd card is out, then you haven't actually installed A9LH yet. The 3ds won't boot without the SD card on the currently released A9LH.

D

Deleted User

UP for this, been wondering the same question.

If you've booted whilst the sd card is out, then you haven't actually installed A9LH yet. The 3ds won't boot without the SD card on the currently released A9LH.

A9LH is definitely installed, as I can launch all my payloads (Decrypt9/Hourglass9/etc..). Did something change with A9LH release in the last couple weeks?

annson24

The Patient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
A9LH is definitely installed, as I can launch all my payloads (Decrypt9/Hourglass9/etc..). Did something change with A9LH release in the last couple weeks?
Nope, Last official release was on Jun. 20th. So you're saying you can chainload other payloads and also can boot without sd card?

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Pulled an old 9.2 2ds out of the drawer, dusted it off, and had it a9lh'd in 45 minutes flat.
New method is the boss. :D

D

Deleted User

Nope, Last official release was on Jun. 20th. So you're saying you can chainload other payloads and also can boot without sd card?

Yep. Can load all payloads on boot no problem. With SD in, it's just frozen on the Luma splash screen. Remove SD and it boots normally (6.0.0-12U)

AFAIK, the V2 allowed the system to boot from CTRNAND if a SD wasn't present. Though not sure why Luma isn't loading on 6.x

Edit: Using a 9.2 CTRNAND seems to work. Assuming that it can't gain ARM9 on a 6.0.0-12U sysNAND. Used a 9.2.0-20U CTRxfer and was able to get it to boot Luma.

Last edited by ,

grafate

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a few questions regarding this method that weren't in the guide's FAQ:

This question is a interesting one. From reading about A9LH it is installed to a partition that hasn't been updated by Nintendo according to the guide. So say Nintendo forces the update of this partition where the A9LH is located, what exactly happens in that situation? That is why I went with a A9LH to boot emunand just for long term convenience of not needing to touch sysnand side again ever.

SRKTiberious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thing is, they're not likely to update it unless they absolutely have to. If it gets interrupted, it will brick even stock systems.

Remember the fiasco that was the Wii System Menu 4.2 update? They updated part of the FW that they hadn't before, and it was bricking consoles left and right.

I doubt Nintendo would want to go through that again with a 3DS update, especially being near to announcing the NX.

grafate

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Luma blocks writing to Firm0/Firm1 so no need to worry :-)

Correct I understand that. But does Firm0/Firm1 have any importance if they do update and natually luma cfw leaves that partition alone.

Remember previous to @ReiNand releasing 9.5 and higher emunand and that the only way to make eshop work was to get the Nver and other titles to enter eshop. Well, say we fall back to leaving the 0/1 Firms alone, what kind of side effects of features would be affected?

DSpider

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Luma blocks writing to Firm0/Firm1 so no need to worry :-)
Interesting. But if the new Nintendo firmware can't write to that, is it possible that it won't complete the install and then you might end up with a brick, just because of the said install didin't reach 100%? Can Nintendo even do that?

Last edited by DSpider,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn4vARy44iY