A way to make N64 romhacks less cumbersome?

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Is there like a patch for better controls of SM64? I know that the game is very old, that's why the controls are so cumbersome to use, but it feels that most romhacks are designed around a better way to control it that's just missing.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is confusing.

Is there like a patch for better controls of SM64?
Is your question about SM64 in particular? Because if you're not having problems with other games, why did you put "N64 romhacks" in your thread title?

but it feels that most romhacks are designed around a better way to control it that's just missing.
Are you suggesting that SM64 romhacks behave differently from standard SM64?

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you want an improved Super Mario 64 experience check out the various ports made from the decompilation project. Fairly sure most of them include optional extras to just have analogue camera controls (the Switch and PC version definitely do at least).

Reactions: Kraken_X and KiiWii

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
This is confusing.

Is your question about SM64 in particular? Because if you're not having problems with other games, why did you put "N64 romhacks" in your thread title?

Are you suggesting that SM64 romhacks behave differently from standard SM64?
Yes, it's about SM64. But I cannot change a thread's title for some reason.

The romhacks do not really behave differently as much as they have different expectations from the player. Most romhacks have parkour sections that are supposed to be easy, but the camera behavior turns them into a nightmare. It's like there's a way to make the camera better that I do not know about. I could work with the camera in regular SM64.

Is it the fact that I am playing on an emulator?

Kraken_X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In normal Mario64, the camera was designed around the levels. So it masks how badly the camera controls, and a normal player wouldn't notice since they are playing the levels as intended. However the camera is a big problem for romhacks because the camera does what it was designed to do for the original level, not the changed level. Experienced romhackers have figured out free cameras or designed their levels around the camera, but if you are playing a romhack from a novice hacker or one that is older it probably has a wonky camera.

I'm not aware of a romhack that specifically improves the camera on the original Mario64. But if you are interested in playing the original Mario64 with modern controls, check out the PC port that @Scarlet mentioned. With 60fps and an analog camera tweak, it plays better than most modern platforms. Graphic mods to put in 4k textures and new models exist too. The one I played was called "Mario64 Plus"

Reactions: CooingMaxito

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Most romhacks have parkour sections that are supposed to be easy, but the camera behavior turns them into a nightmare. It's like there's a way to make the camera better that I do not know about.
Have you looked at people's playthroughs on Youtube to see if the camera is behaving differently than you would expect? (Some of them might be using authentic N64 hardware, but I doubt most of them are.)

But if you are interested in playing the original Mario64 with modern controls, check out the PC port that @Scarlet mentioned. With 60fps and an analog camera tweak, it plays better than most modern platforms. Graphic mods to put in 4k textures and new models exist too.
Unfortunately at this point I think a lot of complex level and gameplay hacks are only usable with the original ROM.

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
In normal Mario64, the camera was designed around the levels. So it masks how badly the camera controls, and a normal player wouldn't notice since they are playing the levels as intended. However the camera is a big problem for romhacks because the camera does what it was designed to do for the original level, not the changed level. Experienced romhackers have figured out free cameras or designed their levels around the camera, but if you are playing a romhack from a novice hacker or one that is older it probably has a wonky camera.

I'm not aware of a romhack that specifically improves the camera on the original Mario64. But if you are interested in playing the original Mario64 with modern controls, check out the PC port that @Scarlet mentioned. With 60fps and an analog camera tweak, it plays better than most modern platforms. Graphic mods to put in 4k textures and new models exist too. The one I played was called "Mario64 Plus"
Yeah, the PC port is amazing and it has great controls and camera, but I don't think that there's any PC port that supports loading levels/stars from romhacks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.