Should I play Zelda 2 for the first time with a romhack that makes the game easier?

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I played the original on my game & watch, it gets hard and frustrating and repetitive, but I'm stubborn I guess. If you want to be stubborn and grind through it, go for the original, if you want it to be more fun than frustrating, try a hack or that remake.

Xdqwerty

Im bored (he/she/they)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I played the original on my game & watch, it gets hard and frustrating and repetitive, but I'm stubborn I guess. If you want to be stubborn and grind through it, go for the original, if you want it to be more fun than frustrating, try a hack or that remake.
Isnt the Game and watch versión completely different?

Last edited by Xdqwerty,

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Isnt the Game and watch versión completely different!
To be clear, I'm not talking about the classic Zelda g&w from back in the day, but the recent one with a colour screen, that has emulated ROMs of Zelda 1, 2 and Link's Awakening (mono). There are some minor fixes applied (I noticed the lives counter doesn't overflow but goes to double digits in Zelda 2), but they're basically the original games.

Reactions: Xdqwerty

Robert Newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to play zelda 2 for the first time and I know the game is pretty hard, so im asking if i should play it with a romhack that makes the game easier. (like this one)
I'm a purist, so I'd say the NES version (NTSC-U) is the best experience. If you have a low tolerance for backtracking and Game Over's, you could always do the "Zelda 2 Redux" hack over at r*mhacking[dot]net. The game is legitimately fun to play, even if it's a bit difficult. (Think of Game Over's as a fast-travel system, not a failure.)

If you want to be completely surprised, don't reveal the gameplay tips below:
1) When you attack Darknuts (knights), aim for the head while jumping.
2) Don't collect the lives, but take note of where they are. They go away permanently, so they're only good for one round. Save them for the last area.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: Xdqwerty

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Probably because the game cover looks like it's meant for little kids +2