A look at Monster Hunter: World's PC port

MHW.png

Monster Hunter is a curious series. It originally found its footing on PlayStation systems, where it gained a cult following on the PSP, but would then later shift to Nintendo handhelds, where it found a larger audience, but was still considered fairly niche. The barrier to entry was high, as "clunky" controls and having to deal with heavy amounts of knowledge and information kept potential fans at bay.

Then, Monster Hunter finally returned to home consoles, in the form of Monster Hunter: World. It was here that the series found massive worldwide appeal and success. Critics, fans, and newcomers alike all praised the changes made, and how the core of the series remained the same, while allowing for modernization and accessibility.

If you want to hear a full rundown of everything, you can check out our official review, done by @MajinCubyan in which the game was given a stellar score of 9.8, one of the highest scores the site has awarded.

Though our reviewer found the game to be near perfect, I myself have a much more negative view of the series. My first experience with the franchise started on the PlayStation Portable's Monster Hunter: Freedom Unite. Back then, I thought the concept as interesting, but the overall game itself controlled too awkwardly, and again, with Tri, and 4, and Generations. There was this clunkiness to the combat that I found undesirable, and despite how many times I tried to get into the series, I gave up.

When it was announced that World would be releasing for the first time on PC's, it was big news. A huge market was just waiting to play the game, excited to finally get in on the monster hunting craze. With over 2 million sales since its launch last week, Monster Hunter: World has done incredibly well on the platform.

Except, there's a definite clunk getting in the way of the experience. And I don't mean the controls this time.

The PC version of Monster Hunter: World ranges from un-bootable dumpster fire, to un-optimized mess, and for some lucky few, it actually manages to run decently.

3I5lC9v.png

"Mixed" reviews from Steam users.​

Steam's boards have been full of angry customers demanding a fix, and fans have been spending the past week tinkering with the game, trying to find which settings they need to carefully toggle in order to get it to actually function. Capcom has at least noticed that there's been lots of connection errors, and are working to fix this specific issue. Some fixes involve turning off Steam's Big Picture Mode, or disabling the Steam Overlay entirely, as having both of those on can cause problems. Constant connections to servers after completing quests also trigger a multitude of alerts if you've enabled the option to see what your friends are playing, as Steam will constantly let you know Friendname is playing Monster Hunter, over and over again, even though they're just completing a mission. Some even had their save file corrupted and rendered unusable, randomly.

Others are looking to correct Capcom's errors, in the form of mods. "Special K", by Kaldaien lets you Alt-Tab out of fullscreen mode without instantly crashing the game, alongside other fixes. Digital Foundry went through the process of checking every single option in the game's graphical settings, coming to the conclusion that some of the options are downright broken and don't even display correctly. In summary, if you have a GTX 1060 and i5 8400, you're going to be able to hit 60fps, but even then, it won't outperform the Xbox One X or PlayStation 4 Pro console versions, even remotely, visually.

As far as my experiences go, my i5 6600k/GTX 1070 setup found massive issues. Immediately after downloading the game from Steam, I could not even get the game to start.

HXIWOQa.png

Even after restarts, re installations, verifying the files, trying various recommended fixes, the above error greeted me every time I hit the play button. I closed Discord, I closed Chrome, anything that possibly could be axed, was. And when I got to that point, I was rewarded with the Capcom logo...before it immediately crashed once more, the error taunting me. Annoyed, I continued to click the play button, passive aggressively hoping that it would eventually work.

Which, to my surprise, after the 20th attempt, did work. I was greeted with the actual menu. The game worked, and I was playing it, finally. What I have experienced, once getting past that initial hurdle, was middling. Despite having a "powerful" PC, I still found it stuttering at 1440/60, tending to dip to around 38fps or so, on average.

In the awkward, slow, stuttering mess, I accidentally smacked an Aptonoth in the face, as the constant fluctuations in framerate made everything hard to control. I apologized profusely to the distressed polygonal fictional dinosaur on my screen, and then the game crashed.

Through the review copy for PC that I've been provided with, I've run into multiple issues. Finally, I installed the Special K mod, and turned some the settings down. I do still run into that random crash from above when launching it, but eventually, the game does start up, and I don't tend to run into errors past that. Foliage Sway and Volume Rendering were both turned off, and with my aforementioned 6600k/1070 setup, I found a solid, stable 1080p/60fps experience. You could maybe even get away with 1440p on a similar rig, just with a few more bumps.

20180814173855_1.jpg

Monster Hunter's debut on PC is serviceable and nothing more. Perhaps in time we'll see patches and performance improvements, but for now, you'll be dealing with a rocky port that takes some tweaking to run right. It's nowhere near perfect, but if you're looking for that Monster Hunter experience on PC, or all your friends are playing, you might as well go for it.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I plan to upgrade to an MSI GTX 1050 OC with 2GB GDDR5. This is the exact item I plan to buy. You're right that it should be good enough for me, since I am okay with 'downgrading' my settings to make it run smoothly. But the crashes and savegame corruption are the biggest turn-offs for me right now.
Are you absolutely sure a 2GB GPU, which was state of the art like 10 years ago, will run this of all games at least remotely well? I would highly suggest pumping out a hundred bucks more and getting a 1060 6GB instead. That at least will keep you going another two years or so while the 1050 you proposed would have been considered low-end already four years ago.

Last edited by wurstpistole,
Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The ERR12 crashes have made the game unplayable for me. I can't even get though a single mission. I'd hope Capcom would take responsibility, but a large part of me expects a patch or two solving almost nothing at all before they cut and run with the money.
There's always the option to refund. I certainly would if the game was consistently crashing on me and/or giving sub-30 FPS. Guess I'm just one of the lucky ones, though, the game looks great and plays even better.

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
There's always the option to refund. I certainly would if the game was consistently crashing on me and/or giving sub-30 FPS. Guess I'm just one of the lucky ones, though, the game looks great and plays even better.
I would have in an instant, were it not that I bought the game through GreenManGaming.

Reactions: Kioku and Xzi

GameSystem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I first found out the PC version was getting released in August instead of Fall 2018/early 2019, I was really surprised it was coming so early. Something about it nagged at me and made reconsider buying it. I'm now glad I didn't.

I'm now thinking it's best to hold off altogether to see how they handle G rank. I know that all of the content DLC so far has been free, but there is still the chance that they may make G Rank a paid expansion. I'm sure by the time that rolls around, all the issues will be ironed out. I'll buy it then.

Reactions: Kioku

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There are two people on my steam friends list who play this game and it repeatedly informs me that they're playing this game. No fewer than four times every minute.

Haha that seems to be related to the server issues for some reason. Its been better lately but at launch it was incredibly obnoxious if you had multiple friends trying to play.

Reactions: Kioku

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It seems to be very hit and miss atm. My laptop from 2014 is able to pull off 1600x900 at 50fps, with most settings set to off or low. I have a i7 4700hq and gtx 850m so I was prepared to run it at low settings with 720p so I guess I'm one of the few content players... My only wish woule be able to pull of a better LOD and foliage sway but I find it still looks good.

On the other hand, I had problems using a controller in the beginning. Found out fraps was what was messing things up for me...

Edit: yeah I remembered that I too had that issue where I would disconnect from the server occassionally, but that was mostly last week.

Last edited by Zense,

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Game works really well for me, i5 4460 and 1070, getting around 60 fps max settings 1440p with volumetric crap turned off playing on a gsync monitor..

Reactions: Xzi

GameSystem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an inherent fear of clicking on shortened URLs, so I went to their actual site and checked it out. They have a pop-out link in the bottom right corner. It's pretty obnoxious in that it needs your steam log-in info and you also have to do one of 26 actions to get specific entries. At least it "seems" legit. I made a quick steam account and did the "join the Voidu group" for one entry. My chances are literally one in a million. Well, I guess 3 in a million since they pick three people.

Last edited by Issac,
D

Deleted User

Yikes, that sounds rough. I'd probably chalk it up to them barely optimising it, or trying something this complicated with such an old engine.

ov3rkill

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This is just a lazy port. From the mixed reviews alone, it's pretty obvious. I've seen some games with MT Framework engine and they ported it fine with good reviews on steam. Then again, those were mostly old games. Anway, they had 7 months to fully optimized this for the PC and people were willing to wait for that. They could've just simultaneously released this with other platforms since they released this fully optimized crap with Denuvo. I'm just gonna guess this port just started 7 months ago rather than optimizing it. :rofl2:

breaktemp

D-Sun who was called D-Moon
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, I went for Dragon Quest for STEAM with my current funds.

But it has been nice to see about every GBATemp'er on STEAM online with the game.

* was really nice chatting up with you all *

Might pick it up during the winter holidays

Question, is their an offline mode/setting for this game ?

grimandrey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The ERR12 crashes have made the game unplayable for me. I can't even get though a single mission. I'd hope Capcom would take responsibility, but a large part of me expects a patch or two solving almost nothing at all before they cut and run with the money.
Exact thing happen to me. Turned out to be my graphics card evga 980 was dying. Before this game it was fine but after i playing it for a day, it kept getting the err12 crash. I thought it was only for mhw, but when i plugged in my windows mixed reality my display would turn off. I then tried to benchmark my graphics card with evga program, and the display would turn once it got under heavy load. Long story short had to buy a 1080 now i can actually play the game XD

KnightOfRoses

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The main problem with the game is that the most problematic area is also the first one, Ancient Forest. In every other area of the game, I can get a decent 60 fps with my stock i5-660k and FE GTX1070. Maybe if it was happening in the rotten valley or coral highlands, it would be perceived as a far smaller problem. But yes, having to set everything down and still get some awful dips makes me hate what I otherwise would say is one of the most memorable maps of the game.

Athlon-pv

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Oh Capcom, not being able to port a game to PC properly, sad.

Well technically it already runs on a PC :) .

The problem lies where the developers lose sight of attainable goals. A game like this would not suffer if they just made a lot of things simpler on the graphics side for the "PC" which would have looked worse at the start compared to consoles but would have given them the time to make patches once they solved issues they seem to be having now in spades.

It is not that the PC lacks enough power it is that the developers do not have a firm grasp on how to use it on the PC (this could also be game engine related).

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is just a lazy port. From the mixed reviews alone, it's pretty obvious. I've seen some games with MT Framework engine and they ported it fine with good reviews on steam. Then again, those were mostly old games. Anway, they had 7 months to fully optimized this for the PC and people were willing to wait for that. They could've just simultaneously released this with other platforms since they released this fully optimized crap with Denuvo. I'm just gonna guess this port just started 7 months ago rather than optimizing it. :rofl2:
Oh stop it, its rough on console as well.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Well technically it already runs on a PC :) .

The problem lies where the developers lose sight of attainable goals. A game like this would not suffer if they just made a lot of things simpler on the graphics side for the "PC" which would have looked worse at the start compared to consoles but would have given them the time to make patches once they solved issues they seem to be having now in spades.

It is not that the PC lacks enough power it is that the developers do not have a firm grasp on how to use it on the PC (this could also be game engine related).

Have you played the console version? It dips under 30 fps on ps4 and even on xbox one x its only 1080p at around 40 fps and bad frame pacing. Not to mention console load times are around a minute long. I dont get this thinking people have, shouldnt we look at the original version before we comment on how good or bad the conversion is?

Last edited by kevin corms,
Reactions: mituzora

mituzora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh stop it, its rough on console as well.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Have you played the console version? It dips under 30 fps on ps4 and even on xbox one x its only 1080p at around 40 fps and bad frame pacing. Not to mention console load times are around a minute long. I dont get this thinking people have, shouldnt we look at the original version before we comment on how good or bad the conversion is?

We're also talking about inferior hardware. there are people reporting that this game runs like total molasses with non-potato current gen hardware. keep in mind an Xbox one X is only about as powerful as a machine with an RX 580 which is leagues below a GTX 1080/1070.

Athlon-pv

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: ok not just