(a late christmas miracle) lost my phone, found a switch.

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by doctailor, Feb 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    Good to know. Thanks for sharing. I dont think he want to. He wants to keep it, obviously. Can't blame him. Thats his choice.

I also found the wallets with money in it, I think, it was a long time ago and driver license was also in it and I bring it to the house near by and nobody was home so I left it there hoping that someone will be home and found it.

People gotta be careful not to lose anything. Some people found it with name and address and wont returned it and they decided to keep it. That's cowardly things to do. Crazy.

Last edited by azoreseuropa, Feb 11, 2018
    smileyhead likes this.
  2. Anunnymous

Anunnymous Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 27, 2007
    United States

There is nothing for the "justice system" to take care of because it is LEGALLY not stealing and you can't be charged with such. Everyone saying it's technically stealing, I half agree with you. But everyone is missing the point that it's not LEGALLY stealing. Unless the guy that lost it lied to the police and told them that his backpack was stolen, then the OP would never get charged, even if he gets caught without turning it in. And to the guy saying, "let's just take the car on the streets." If the keys are in it and the doors are unlocked, you wouldn't get charged with grand theft, you'd get charged with joy riding.

I don't care how many of you think it's stealing. Having a thought doesn't put people in jail. If the OPs story is 100% accurate and the guy who lost it isn't a liar, no theft has occurred.

invaderyoyo likes this.
  3. Wii8461

Wii8461 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 9, 2015
    United States
    Yeah 100 dollar bills have personal information on them and you can tell who they belong too. And generalizing? If found a Switch I would definitely try to return it to whoever first. If no one manages to claim it, then I guess I would keep at that point. Just making an attempt would be nice instead of not trying at all. It sounds more like this OP has greed, rather than being an "Honest man." An honest man would get more joy out of bringing it back to the owner than they would trying to pry their information off and keep the game with it.
    -
    Anyways, this sounds like 100% BS. He stole a Switch and now he wants the account info off without losing the $20 game. Why does anyone believe this?

Memoir likes this.
  4. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    See if the guy's email address is listed anywhere on the Switch. If it is, contact him. If it isn't then look up his username online, see if you can find a Facebook or Twitter or something similar where you can get in touch with him. I won't judge you for keeping it but you ought to at least make an attempt to find the owner, it's the right thing to do.
    Turning it in to the police probably won't do much good. They are not going to attempt to find the original owner, they rely on the owner getting in touch with them, which chances are won't happen.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Feb 11, 2018
    Naderino likes this.
  5. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    insert >1 post by this id here

Memoir likes this.
  6. MadMageKefka

MadMageKefka GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apr 28, 2016
    United States
    World of ruin
    Uhh. Credit card isn't a great example either. Any semi-intelligent person would deactivate the card the MOMENT they lose it. Also please keep in mind that assuming this person is telling the truth, he is homeless and has no phone, remember? How is gonna call customer support? Stand in the library for 6 hours on hold? Possession is 9/10ths of the law, as they say. This person has broken no laws.

Greedy? Assuming this isn't a troll.... HE'S HOMELESS. Ofc hes probably a little greedy, I would be too in that situation. See my above statement regarding the attempt to return it. You're right. An honest person would try to return it.... but just because he's not the man-of-the-year doesn't make him a thief, aka, criminal.

EDIT: I find it funny there is so much hate over the "stolen" Switch, but not 1 person here has complained about him "stealing" the cloths that were also in the bag. Cloths are expensive too....

Last edited by MadMageKefka, Feb 11, 2018
  7. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Theft is theft. The main subject of the post is the Switch. Pay attention.

sarkwalvein likes this.
  8. huma_dawii

huma_dawii GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Florida
    I think, you have this guy email, you should email him and tell him you found his Switch, he will be super happy to know there is still honest people in the world, If it was me, I would definitely try to get it back to its owner :)

Last edited by huma_dawii, Feb 11, 2018
  9. MadMageKefka

Apr 28, 2016
    United States
    World of ruin
    This is NOT theft. No laws were broken. Calling customer support is retarded too. No customer support line is going to give ANY caller personal information about their customers. That's retarded.

10. invaderyoyo

invaderyoyo invader

Mar 17, 2014
    United States
    Southern California
    Yep, can't help but notice the one's saying it's stealing are giving no explanation as to how it is actually stealing. They're just saying stealing is stealing and that's that.

11. MadMageKefka

Apr 28, 2016
    United States
    World of ruin
    Probably because they don't understand the law at all and just wanna sound like a smart / good person online. Go outside once and a while kids, you might learn something.

12. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein More coffee, please!

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Who is talking about the law actually?

Memoir likes this.
  13. MadMageKefka

Apr 28, 2016
    United States
    World of ruin
    ....EVERYONE here? You're (plural) calling a person a thief... a thief is a criminal.

14. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein More coffee, please!

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Nope. You're wrong.
    A concept doesn't need to be legally normed for it to exist.
    And morals and law are not the same.
    The discussion here is not about what the legal system will decide to do with you (law), but in any case about how you're supposed to behave in society, about guilt, and about how your pairs will respond to your actions.
    You're reading the answers in this thread in a wrong way.

Memoir likes this.
  15. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    So edgy.

16. Wii8461

Wii8461 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 9, 2015
    United States
    As a homeless person, he is not a thief, I never said that. He didn't steal it, but he could always return it.
    As a liar, trying to make a fake story so he gets attention called, I did call him a thief.

17. Thirty3Three

Thirty3Three Musician Member

Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    Wherever you want me, baby.
    I think you should return it op

But I want to say I REALLY hope things get better. Sending positive thoughts your way <3

18. huma_dawii

huma_dawii GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Florida
    I hope he gets a job... and things get better..

don't get me wrong, but I think people who are homeless.. (for years and years) its because they want to stay that way... there a MILLION WAYS to make money...

19. Naderino

Naderino Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 15, 2012
    Canada
    This:

I remember when my JP 3DS was lost/stolen last year and an NNID was linked to it, no one bothered emailing they found my 3DS. I lost all my saves and it was a special colored New 3DS XL that is not available in North America. I wish someone would have emailed me. It's the simplest and easiest thing to do. Wish everyone could follow your solution @The Real Jdbye

Op. Return the switch. Be nice and empathetic with the person who lost their switch. Not only did they lose their money, but they just lost the time and effort spent playing games on it. They lost their saves and (if incomplete) have to restart. Just imagine losing over 150 hrs in Breath of the Wild. It's not fun.

20. smileyhead

smileyhead owo TempStyle 2 Dark

Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Hungary
    I never said he should call them. And with the resources he used to post here, he can email them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.