(a late christmas miracle) lost my phone, found a switch.

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by doctailor, Feb 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctailor
    OP

doctailor Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 10, 2018
    United States
    new york state
    hey there. nice to meet you all. i hope i have posted this in the appropriate section of the forums, if i haven't please feel free to move it, and know that i am sorry.

im recently homeless, and in the first couple of weeks of my freezing cold, north-easterly homelessness, i've had my only valuable possession stolen. this possession being an un-activated iphone 4 with no attached phone plan (i can't afford one, i just used wifi in places i could loiter in for some time)... this was stolen earlier this week. or lost. probably stolen, this isn't a nice area and i normally pay attention to the thing with my life. so, yeah.

so on my way back from being fired from a new job (we try! we really do. we're not all bums, though sometimes we're forced to be to scrape by) im coming to the realization that my 'phone' may be gone for good when i found a bag full of clothing *run over* on the side of the street. inside of this bag? new clothing with tags on it, and a god damned nintendo switch, with all of the accessories, the carrying case, and two games, all un-damaged (mario kart /and/ pokken tournament? thank you, karma. we can be cool again)

now, i've since created my own mii on the switch so i can play mario kart as a little tiny 'me', but i see rocket league installed on here as well from the previous owner. as much as i want to make this great gift my very own, log in with the nintendo account i just made, and all that nice stuff... i really want to know--because i am quite worried:

- deleting this guy's account will delete rocket league, right? (rocket league is soo good. im enjoying it more than the two cartridge games that came with this thing. i don't think i could bear to lose it)
    - logging into my brand new nintendo account on this console-- with their account still on here, might this set off red flags? i'd assume so. if i delete the account, then log in with my own nintendo account, could i be blacklisted somehow if he reports the thing 'stolen'? (looked to me like he left it in a bag of cool new stuff he had on top of his car, and then drove off and over it. far from stolen... more like neglected, don't you think? no big deal for him-- he has cool stuff. like a car. and a home. but i have a nintendo switch for now, and that's okay until things get better. :) ) (sorry, trying to justify myself. i'd normally track down the owner and give it back, but right now this is my only [and prized] possession. i cherish it like a gift. i apologize again. i am so sorry.) (p.s. the cardboard box the switch likely came in was not in the fancy-clothing-store-bag he ran over)

what is one to do? i know i am a big, fat jerk for keeping this thing. i really am. but someone else is keeping my phone. and when i get back on my feet... maybe i'll track this guy down and give it back. i even wrote down the address nearest where i found the run-over shopping bag. but right now? i need something to make me smile. things were getting pretty hopeless when fate dropped this magical gift in my lap. so tell me...

in keeping this thing (for now), what would you do? how would you do it? and what can nintendo do to me and my new baby in doing so?

p.s. i've had this for a few days now. i am not using this guy's account, logging into it for any reason, touching or (actually, i haven't even checked if his credit card information is in here) utilizing any of his information-- i want nothing to do with it. i am an honest man, not a thug. that's not even to mention how far that may swing my karma back in the wrong direction for me. i'm no criminal. just a lucky, albeit homeless, dude. please do not judge. please do not make this thread a moral back-and-forth, as easy as that might be to do. just let me know what i can do with my gift from (above?) the side of the road.

thank you all and god bless you all

Last edited by doctailor, Feb 10, 2018
    NutymcNuty likes this.
  2. Uumas

Uumas GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 17, 2016
    Finland
    I think you should still return it and hope for a reward. There's someone out there who's lost their switch. What if it's a little kid? Just think about it. Well I don't know how bad your situation is and how you ended up in it, so do what you feel is right.

Anyway, if the owner reports it as stolen you'll probably lose access to rocket league and if you've added your account they could ban it.
    Out of interest what are you posting this on?

MeowMeowMeow, Minox and Mylink5 like this.
  3. fatsquirrel

fatsquirrel GBAtemp Addict

Nov 11, 2013
    Well basically you are the same as yhe guy that stole your phone now. Id rethink the situation and find the owner.

Minox, Shadowfied, samschaap and 5 others like this.
  4. punderino

punderino aka Big-Dick Swinger

Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Shittiest thing I've read in a while. Return it. That could have been some kids Switch. Fucked up. I get that shit can be bad, but imagine if you worked your ass off for that Switch and it got stolen. Don't put someone through that. Go to where you found it and return it to the nearest shop

Minox, Shadowfied and jRRRRRRRRRRR like this.
  5. smileyhead

smileyhead owo TempStyle 2 Dark

Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Hungary
    Wait... If your phone was stolen, and the Switch doesn't have an Internet browser (at least not without an exploit), then how are you posting this?
    Also, how do you know about this site? Were you interested in console hacking (despite the fact that you'd never be able to afford one) and lurked when you still had a phone?

MeowMeowMeow, Minox, Alex1234 and 9 others like this.
  6. isoboy

isoboy Suspended

Suspended
    Dec 23, 2016
    United States
    Hello there mister one post. We can't help you with directions to the nearest soup kitchen, try a regular google search. If you really were homeless you wouldn't think twice about selling your "magical gift" to be able to buy food...you know..to survive.

Not sure about this guys intention since I don't see anything funny in this post OH WELL NEXT.

7. Pedeadstrian

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    Ever hear of a library? Also, the OP was probably not born homeless... they could've known about it beforehand (or just googled Switch with other keywords and landed here).
    It wasn't stolen (unless the OP is lying), it was found on the side of the road. Do you go to the nearest store to return a $100 bill if you find it on the sidewalk? No, of course not. It could've also been from another store, and you'd just be giving it away at that point.
    If the OP dropped the phone that he pays attention to with his life, sure.

I am curious about how you're even playing the Switch, though. Halfway house/shelter of sorts?

BlastedGuy9905 likes this.
  8. smileyhead

Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Hungary
    Also, how do you even charge your stuff (I'm surprised no one has picked up on this yet)? The Switch's battery doesn't last that long. Neither does a phone's.
    I'm starting to think that you aren't really homeless, but stole a Switch and just want to somehow keep Rocket League installed while still using it with your own account.

9. Pedeadstrian

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    Homeless doesn't mean on the streets 24/7. It just means you don't have a permanent residence. Shelters help with this. Also, he could use a library computer to charge his phone. It's not rocket science.

Eddypikachu and CaptainSodaPop like this.
  10. punderino

Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Taking something that isn't yours is stealing.

11. isoboy
    This message by isoboy has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Feb 13, 2018 at 12:35 PM, Reason: not an image board.
    Feb 10, 2018
  12. Pedeadstrian

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    Definition of steal
    stole play \ˈstōl\; stolen play \ˈstō-lən\; stealing
    intransitive verb
    1 : to take the property of another wrongfully and especially as a habitual or regular practice
    Definition of theft
    1 a : the act of stealing; specifically : the felonious taking and removing of personal property with intent to deprive the rightful owner of it

He didn't steal a bag from someone's home or shopping cart. He found it on the street.

wolf_ likes this.
  13. GalladeGuy

GalladeGuy Freeze Kirby :3

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    He took the property of another person. That is stealing.

smileyhead likes this.
  14. isoboy

isoboy Suspended

Suspended
    Dec 23, 2016
    United States
    The only thing this guy stole was his mom's cookies and now he's laughing his ass off at your arguments because he or she thinks it's funny. I'd estimate OP's age at 8-12.

alexuscuss, Pluupy, dAVID_ and 6 others like this.
  15. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    My main question is who puts a switch (which isn't new), all of its accessories (including a charger), and games into a bag a new clothes that have tags.
    That's what first made this fishy to me

Mylink5 likes this.
  16. Pedeadstrian

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    Someone who just got done shopping at Target or Walmart.

17. TheCyberQuake

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    But why would they also put their switch, accessories and games into the same bag. It wasn't purchased at the store because OP said the switch already has an account and rocket league installed. And I certainly don't bring around most of accessories when I go out with my switch

18. punderino

Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Yes. They found it on the street already logged in with other personal belongings. Definitely not the property of another. Was definitely his right to just take it. Fuck whoever ACTUALLY owned it and paid for it yknow. Because all that matters because anything I find on the street is mine now! I'm gonna go s̶t̶e̶a̶l̶ find a few of those cars. I mean they're just on the road, so it's not really stealing. The person would have kept in the garage if they wanted to keep it. :)

Mat37, bennyman123abc and smileyhead like this.
  19. TheCyberQuake

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Even still, if OP was to keep it (because finding the actual owner is very unlikely) they should sell it to buy things they actually need.

20. smileyhead

Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Hungary
    It can't be that hard if you literally have the NNID of the person. You can just contact Nintendo Support and they can contact the owner.

21. punderino

Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    Kansas City, Missouri
    If I lost my Switch. So $300, plus 2 games, $420 at that point. I'd be calling every damn store nearby to find it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.