OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jamstruth said:
dirty_harry said:
who don't want to release 6.20 CFW because "homebrew has to be remade for 6.20, and If there is no homebrew then we wont make a new CFW". Stupidest thing I ever heard.

That's not what they said. They don't want to release their 6.20 CFW because
A) Its still buggy and they're still improving it
B) They want to make a compatibility layer for 5.xx homebrew so that homebrew doesn't HAVE to be recoded.

You really want them to release a buggy, unfinished CFW? They've posted up the problems they've had with it here Its in English so read.

As for Mad-001. The kid shows SOME coding expertise and promise but I'm still sceptical and will be steering well clear until the PSP-1000 problems are cleared fully (I really should make a Pandora battery...)

Trust me, it's not worth even trying mate. Buggiest thing on the face of the planet. It's amazing that he got GodEater working as well as he did. As for GEN, I don't want them to release unfinished CFW, nobody does. That's senseless, as I said, there is no need for new CFW at this stage. 2 games not working, both Japanese titles. We can all wait. What concern's me is their lack of communication. TELL us in a simple post saying "we're working oh KH and Godeater." Thats what people want to hear right now. Hat's off to them if they can achieve the compatibility layer, but I doubt it. Rewriting the robust homebrew library is a pain, but most of the 'better' homebrew is in active development anyway, and a rewrite could be a good thing for them. That's not for me to judge.

Bottom line, i think most will agree with me on this, we just want more COMMUNICATION WITH THE TEAM. All we have from them right now is "it is possible be patient". Patience on the internet? Blasphamy!
wink.gif

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh yeah, before people go crazy over Mad-001 (looking at the front page)

THIS DOES NOT SUPPORT PREVIOUSLY UNHACKABLE PSPS!!!!! PSP Go's use an entirely different firmware from the normal PSPs (to support the flash memory I presume) and the PSP-3000 motherboards have a modified Pre-IPL with no known exploits to allow an unsigned PSP firmware to be loaded by the PSP (all OFWs are signed for your particular PSP)

ViRGE

Trophies
XP
Country
Jamstruth said:
B) They want to make a compatibility layer for 5.xx homebrew so that homebrew doesn't HAVE to be recoded.
This is a bit off-topic, but while we're on the subject...

When the GEN team says that homebrew would need to be recoded for 6.xx, what do they mean exactly? Is it that the underlying homebrew API is changing and that authors would need to make significant changes to their homebrew as a result, or is it just that we're losing binary compatibility and homebrew would need to be recompiled against the 6.xx kernel to work? I'm just trying to get an idea of how severe of an issue this is.

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
They would need to be recompiled the 6.xx kernel to work. The same thing has happened before when they made the 2.xx firmwares, they changed the kernel so much that 1.5 eboots wouldn't work anymore.

dirty_harry

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Prof. 9 said:
If homebrew doesn't work, how would one update to a stable version once it comes out?

[/didn'treadthethread]

It means EXISTING homebrew will not work. Obviously the updater will be working with 6.20. All existing homebrew will need to be rewritten to comply with 6.20 FW.

UPDATED THE FIRST POST. THE AUTHOR OF THE FIRMWARE HAS POSTED AN UPDATE ALONG WITH A NEW PICTURE.

dirty_harry

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jamstruth said:
Leave this well alone until stable confirmation reports come in.

If they ever do. I personally dont think he will make good on his claims. We will know in exactly:

12 hours 20 minutes.

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
NoSmokingBandit said:
Im still confused about the point of this update. What benefit does it give over any existing (and trusted) cfw?

If he can get it to work it is 6.20 CFW which will have the ability to go on PSn (since its 6.20, at least until Sony release a new OFW), run KH:BBS and God Eater as well as all other games and have 6.20 pops meaning perfect FFVIII and other games.

But this is very, very, very, very, very, very early stages and I doubt it will get worked on much.

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
luke_c said:
NoSmokingBandit said:
Im still confused about the point of this update. What benefit does it give over any existing (and trusted) cfw?
We can play 6.10+ Games

We can do that already, what we lack is PSN usage and God Eater and KH:BBS which both use anti-piracy routines whuch require 6.20 firmware to work...I think... People are trying to find workarounds for both.

luke_c

Big Boss
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Jamstruth said:
luke_c said:
NoSmokingBandit said:
We can play 6.10+ Games

We can do that already, what we lack is PSN usage and God Eater and KH:BBS which both use anti-piracy routines whuch require 6.20 firmware to work...I think... People are trying to find workarounds for both.
I thought GEN could only play games 6.00 and below?

dirty_harry

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
No, SOCOM Fire Team Bravo 3 has disproved this. Games that require FW 6 or more can still be decrypted to work on 5.50GEN or 5.00 M33. GodEater and KH:BBS are odd cases which use a new type of encryption that uses files only present in 6.20. It's quite complicated, there are some people doing hard hard work trying to get them working. This Japanese guy, we don't know anything about him, from what I gather he is a high school student. Anyway, Here is what GEN have to say about a possible 6.XX firmware:

It seems clear that Sony does not appreciate the existence of the underground world and fight against its existence has always been in the program without being a priority. This fight has lasted almost 5 years and the giant Nippon begins seriously to gain ground with a certain shift in strategy in recent months.

The game of cat and mouse between hackers and Sony engineers had limited time to put online a new official firmware fixes the flaw revealed to allow PSP users to switch the side underground. This is because of this that the firmware to waltz began and lasted so long.

Yoshihiro_Magicien
"It was the right time, or that only the 1.50 enough ..."

This method proved generally ineffective, especially after the online kit that allows Pandora to flash the PSP-1000 and PSP-2000 v1 and v2.

To counter this wonderful tool underground, Sony has begun to change the internal structure of the PSP with the first PSP-2000V3 then the PSP-3000 that have emerged with motherboards that resist "pandorisation" and the flashing of Custom Firmware .

This first step was effective initially, but the underground has taken the hand with the arrival of HEN posted by Davee and firmware for 5.03GEN HEN (and before with 5.02HEN unpublished Miriam) running on the PSP-3000. We owe this achievement to the team and especially GEN GENyUS which will open the door of the underground to the owners of PSP-3000. Unfortunately, this feat on PSP-3000 is limited to consoles with a maximum official firmware 5.03 installed.

5.03GEN-D3 - 2

In recent months, the publishers have also tried to counter the underground world by trying to ban the release of games on consoles Custom Firmware. These methods have prevented users more honest, but with a custom PSP Firmware to launch a UMD freshly bought store than anything else. In fact, hackers are often able to create a patch or find an unprotected version (Tekken 6 for example) to put them online via illegal networks. This has often forced the buyers to go through an illegal download to play a game yet purchased normally.

With the return of the team Yoshihiro development GEN (GEN Team), these problems have virtually disappeared with the latest updates for GEN Custom Firmware and especially the arrival of Custom Firmwares 5.50GEN-D3 and 5.03GEN-C can run the latest games in time without having to make a copy for the patch. We must admit that Yoshihiro has secured a new life in 5.50GEN of GENyUS. For information on date of release online of these two Custom Firmwares we exceeded the 260 000 visits and more than 500 000 visits in cash the day before and the day after. Thank you again to you all.

Since then, Sony has decided to fight the underground world in another way, certainly more discreet, but more efficient. We have, to date, little news on this situation but the time has come to clarify the situation.

6.10GEN-A - 1
Patience... Patience ... everything comes to those who wait.

Initially, Sony has probably inflicted a serious security audit its firmware for the majority of faults that we know (public) have been blocked. This point has left us more confused because it was a really big, very big, very very big cleanup from Sony that has been done in the firmware 6.0 and below. What we found most surprising is to see flaws nonpublic bites when they existed and persisted quietly since 2.0 for some. This time, Sony did not simply fill "to hurry", but has done a serious substantive and effective.

By removing these flaws, Sony hopes to be able to prevent the underground world of consoles convert most recent and future to put an end to this parallel world. But Sony knows that does not fill because there may be other vulnerabilities exist that could still be used. To recall, the HEN Dave allowed to run unsigned code on a normal console and not flashed. A feat that Sony just in case, to prevent with firmware 6.20. Indeed, it seems that it is designed to self-check and plant the console if a module or a suspicious file is detected in the flash memory. Simple but extremely effective (Editor's note: peace in the PSP-3000 test). This feature therefore prevents the execution of HEN should a fault were to be found. It is clear that this function will continue in future firmwares.

The bad news is tempered by the fact that it is always possible if a functional fault is found, to consider a downgrade to firmware 5.03 (for a start HEN). This possibility can not be blocked unless, in the future motherboards, Sony requires firmware 6.xx (or more) as the minimum time of 1.50 (Editor's note new motherboards do not launching this magical firmware). The owners of PSP-3000 or PSP-2000V3, can no longer wait and hope that one day a downgrade is possible.

For others, we explained in the news Why not propose a Custom Firmware 6.xxGEN?, Why would not consider putting online soon 6.xxGEN a Custom Firmware. The structure of the firmware 6.xx has advanced dramatically and complex and it takes time to get to make any functional custom firmware. If we were to release a custom firmware 6.20GEN, we would get to manage the structural change to make it transparent to users. Indeed, we would like everything that exists, or at least most things, is operating normally without requiring all the devs to redo everything as we explained in the news.

It is possible and feasible, so just be patient.

We want these games working, but they are both Japanese. You would hurt yourself by playing KH:BBS unless you know Japanese - it is a story driven game. Let's wait, and see if western developers start using this 'new' encryption method as well.

NoSmokingBandit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
luke_c said:
NoSmokingBandit said:
We can play 6.10+ Games

Ah, that explains it. I've not been keeping up on my psp news too well.

ViRGE

Trophies
XP
Country
Jamstruth said:
They would need to be recompiled the 6.xx kernel to work. The same thing has happened before when they made the 2.xx firmwares, they changed the kernel so much that 1.5 eboots wouldn't work anymore.
Alright, that's not so bad then. It would only be an issue for old programs where the authors are no longer around to recompile their application. It's not great, but it's not a dealbreaker.

Yanazake

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
OHGAWDOHGAWDOHGAWD, IT'S ALMOST HERE!!!

If I had more money online, I'd be happy to donate some to help the development of that CFW /o/

Just wait, Kingdom Hearts, I'll wield the keyblade once again!
yaypsp.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1