Hacking 3DS unbricking progress

RickyEarl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This exact same thing just happened to me. Mod done last week. No new anything. Same launcher.dat. Same GW card. Working fine yesterday. Just suddenly did this.

Never hooked mine up via the adapter. Just used it as is.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Reactions: bkifft

Grixian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I contacted a friend who is in engineering at UW. He had an old Raspberry Pi B model since he upgraded to the new B+. He's mailed it to me and it should be here by Saturday. I'll chat back when I get it because I might need a blow by blow on the process. Also my friend asked what programming language was this program written in? He seems to be into using Python, Java, and Lua now and is curious on what it's going to be programmed for.

Slashmolder

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I'm kinda just looking for someone confident enough to try to fix the thing. Looks like the traces to DAT0/CMD/CLK need to be cut and then alternate pinouts would have to be used.

I contacted a friend who is in engineering at UW. He had an old Raspberry Pi B model since he upgraded to the new B+. He's mailed it to me and it should be here by Saturday. I'll chat back when I get it because I might need a blow by blow on the process. Also my friend asked what programming language was this program written in? He seems to be into using Python, Java, and Lua now and is curious on what it's going to be programmed for.

It's in C you can see all the source code here: https://github.com/bkifft/RPU

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

You'll also need the extra stuff noted in the bill of materials in the HowTo: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bkifft/RPU/master/RPU_guide.txt
Also it wouldn't hurt to glance over the instructions. feel free to ask if anything seems unclear (there's no stupid questions, only stupid answers (which i reserve none the less the right to give ;)).

edit: while the textfile is still the go to reference (non existing warranty void if you don't follow it :)) gamesquest1 did a slightly outdated video on how to do it.

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

Grixian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ran it again and this is what I got.​
CCRC_ERR: 0
CTO_ERR: 1
ERR: 1
ENDBOOT: 0
BOOTACK: 0
RETUNE: 0
CARD: 0
READ_RDY: 0
WRITE_RDY: 0
BLOCK_GATE: 0
DATA_DONE: 0
CMD_DONE: 0
SD_init: no CMD1 (0) response
RESPONSE:---------------------------------------------
RESP3:0x00000000
RESP2:0x00000000
RESP1:0x00000000
RESP0:0x00000000

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I ran it again and this is what I got.​
[snip]

The complete log please.

edit:

got the log and sorry for doubting you.

Grixian , that means it can't establish the connection to the eMMC/NAND at all...

My first suspicion would be that something came loose and shorts the eMMC out somehow.
Anyone else got any ideas?

ringsakira

Trophies
XP
Country
France
yeah, about that SD card test... I was kinda lazy, the tool will only init (e)MMC. So in order to test it you'd need an MMC card (which you can get for really cheap of ebay if you want).

And as strange and disheartening as it may sound: sometimes when it comes to high frequency communications there's a bit of voodoo involved (at least to me as software person it seems this way). Only thing besides the stuff you've already mentioned I can advise you to do is to try it someplace else, like at work, in a library or at a friends house. This way you can strike radio and powerline interference of the list.

Hello again, I'm still having problems trying to unbrick the same 3DSXL unit! :( :(

I've updated to the newest version today, and I've given it another try. I've been to different locations, powering the Raspberry directly from a USB PC port instead of a power outlet
My results are:
7QAah66.jpg

Also I post pics of my soldering just in case someone could spot anything bad (I know it maybe is hard to tell with these pictures, but any tip would be greatly appreciated)
cD3JKWvl.jpg

Bigger at http://i.imgur.com/cD3JKWv.jpg

(it looks like the wire from the bottom and the one next to it are touching but it's not the case)
hlpjtchl.jpg

bigger at http://i.imgur.com/hlpjtch.jpg

Thanks !

ringsakira

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Your soldered to the wrong spots on the motherboard. From what I can tell you have GND and CLK mixed up.
Ok it's going to sound stupid but I've solved the issue :P

Indeed in those pics I sent the CLK and GND wires were swapped but that's only because out of desperation I've changed those wires as I thought maybe I wasn't understanding correctly the diagram provided for the sd hw-mod. But originally they were on the correct position, I swear! haha

Anyway I guess one of the wires wasn't properly attached in the first place, and further retries on my behalf suffered from that swap. Because I managed to unbrick the 3DS!! Thanks a lot!!

Now to tidy up everything and look up for a nice pic to send to bkifft ;) :)

Thank you both! :D

f0xdude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello! This is the first thread I've commented on. so yeah... im new to this stuff! Anyway I've seen people mod there existing 3ds's to dump/downgrade firmware. I have decent soldering skills and even a backed up 3ds nand with 4.5.010u on it. Another thing I have seen on the internet is a nand generator for another console (not sure if its real or not) and I have my serial number if that helps! Thanks!

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Hello! This is the first thread I've commented on. so yeah... im new to this stuff! Anyway I've seen people mod there existing 3ds's to dump/downgrade firmware. I have decent soldering skills and even a backed up 3ds nand with 4.5.010u on it. Another thing I have seen on the internet is a nand generator for another console (not sure if its real or not) and I have my serial number if that helps! Thanks!

first whats with the font, this isn't a comic book lol

and secondly, you can only downgrade the 3ds if you have a dump from that EXACT 3ds when it was on 4.x, you cant just take a random 4.x nand and flash it to whatever you like, you can be pretty sure any "generators" you have seen are complete BS like a large percentage of the rest of the internet

so unless the 4.x nand backup was dumped from the exact same console you intend to downgrade, you cant downgrade

gruven42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I stupidly upgraded my sysNAND and was wondering if someone could me downgrade to the 4.4 NAND that I luckily saved with Gateway. Thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    PandaPandel @ PandaPandel: lmao goodness