Hacking 3DS unbricking progress

Slashmolder

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you don't actually need to do a force erase no more, just do the unlock command and it should be unbricked

I got bricked by 2.3b so the password is different now. Probably easier to just erase and then reflash than it is to figure out all the details this time. I'm pretty sure they're using CBC encrypt this time so you can't just generate an xor pad.

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I got bricked by 2.3b so the password is different now. Probably easier to just erase and then reflash than it is to figure out all the details this time. I'm pretty sure they're using CBC encrypt this time so you can't just generate an xor pad.

Wow... a 2.3b brick? I smell a storm brewing (just bear all in mind that this could be an unrelated brick fellas)....

Anyway: the force erase stuff is still in the Pi code, I've just commented out the respective "Menu Key input" check. I don't have github write access atm, but as you are able to interpret the return codes i suppose you will be able to uncomment and recompile on your own. Line 2078 to 2080.

Mind if I ask what you did to trigger it?

edit: oh and could you please post the CSD?

Reactions: Snailface

Slashmolder

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was stupid and ran a modified Launcher. I've had a look at this bricking code and it should only happen if your Launcher.dat gets corrupted somehow.
CSD for me is 00D04700320F5903AEFFFFFFE1824000.

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I was stupid and ran a modified Launcher. I've had a look at this bricking code and it should only happen if your Launcher.dat gets corrupted somehow.
CSD for me is 00D04700320F5903AEFFFFFFE1824000.

Thanks for the CSD, I'll have a go at decoding it when i get home.

Oh and could you please report back when you tried the force erase?

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
That was the CSD I got after I tried to force erase.

Oh sorry, misread the whole situation then. So let me try to recap and please correct me if I'm wrong:

You tried the unlock, it didn't work. So you tried the force erase, which also didn't work. The eMMC can't be read (and thus also not written) using the SD mod.

If that is the case: could you please rebuild the tool with #define DEBUG and send me the output of a S and F?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Well the csd is saying its not temp locked or perma locked.......iirc the csd genorator is fixed isnt it bkifft, at one point it was a bit off, pretty sure it was fixed though

Have you tried writing a nand dump back to it?

Comparing to my csd after unlockin (00900f00320f5903b9ffff87ff964040) there is definatly differences but it doesnt appear to be locked

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well the csd is saying its not temp locked or perma locked.......iirc the csd genorator is fixed isnt it bkifft, at one point it was a bit off, pretty sure it was fixed though

Well about that... "fixed" isn't the correct term to use. The correct technical expression would be "sloppy hackjob".
But yeah, shouldn't have global write protection.

Slashmolder

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well looking at the specification better what's happening is the LOCK_UNLOCK_FAILED error bit is being set after the command is being sent.

If the ERASE bit is not the only bit in the data field then the LOCK_UNLOCK_FAILED error bit will be
set in the status register and the erase request is rejected.

An attempt to force erase on an unlocked card will fail and LOCK_UNLOCK_FAILED error bit will be
set in the status register.

If a force erase command is issued on a permanently-write-protect media the command will fail (card stays
locked) and the LOCK_UNLOCK_FAILED error bit will be set in the status register.

The locked bit is set so it can't be that it's on an unlocked card.
Looking at the CSD bit 13 is cleared so I'm guessing other bits in the data field got set. Probably was a bad soldering job. I'll post back later on in the week when I try again with better equipment.

Grixian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I just got my 3DS back for a nand mod and 2.3b has me in BSOD. Out of the skillet and into the fire, I guess. So now I need a raspberry pi to fix it then?

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Also is there a specific Raspberry Pi that I should use, the new B+ is out so should I get that one?

Bear in mind: a blue screen could also stem from the modding.

While the B+ should work (AFAIK hasn't been tested yet) I'd advise against it as it only offers a microSD slot which makes building the interface adapter quite a hassle. Besides that any A or B, choice if up to you. Don't forget to ask friends and colleagues first if someone got one though.

Grixian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My 3ds was modded to have a micro-usb to pc transfer, is this going to impact how I can use the Raspberry Pi to unbrick it? I thought that I could use a b+ and hook it up into one of the 4 usb ports on it. If I am mistaken please tell me, I'm kinda new to this scene.

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
My 3ds was modded to have a micro-usb to pc transfer, is this going to impact how I can use the Raspberry Pi to unbrick it? I thought that I could use a b+ and hook it up into one of the 4 usb ports on it. If I am mistaken please tell me, I'm kinda new to this scene.

While it is possible to have a usb mod (as in hook up the 3DS using usb to the PC) it's unlikely. Did you receive a microusb <-> SD card adapter cable? If yes you have the "classical" mod.

If you should have the SD sytle mod and connected the 3DS to an USB port you might have grilled your 3DSes data chip.

If in doubt ask the one who did the modjob.

Grixian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was looking and I have a USB to SD adapter, I hadn't hooked my 3ds to the pc or put anything into it execpt a sd card with the new 2.3b gateway firmware. I just hope they aren't going back into the 2.0 brickwave they just got out of.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He did not connect it via USB cable. I am also the one who performed the mod, and included an SD adapter. He said it worked until he put the new launcher.dat onto the SD card.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
What's the error codes, post a picture if you can

Also the fact it's so recent to having the mod done.makes me somewhat skeptical to start calling it a brick wave, it's just as possible that a wire has been knocked loose or something, look in the usb port and see if there is anything shorting it out in there

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)