Hardware 3DS specs

The Pi

Lurker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
The widescreen 3D LCD is 3.53 inches corner to corner and runs in 800x240 resolution ("400 pixels are allocated for each eye to enable 3D viewing").

The touch screen is 3.02 inches and 320x240 resolution.

The one inner and two outer cameras are all 640x480 in 0.3 megapixel resolution.

The 3DS has 802.11 Wi-Fi, ala the DS, and supports WPA/WPA2 security.

Controls wise there's the touch-screen, embedded microphone, A/B/X/Y face buttons, d-pad, L/R buttons, Start and Select buttons, "slide pad" (analogue nubbin for 360-degree input), three cameras, motion sensor and gyro sensor.

Then of course there's the 3D depth slider, which allows you to adjust the 3D effect.

Ports on the console include the 3DS game card slot, which also takes DS games, an SD card slot, an AC adapter connector, and a stereo headphone check. The machine has stereo speakers and a lithium ion battery.

Source

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Shame that lower screen has same resolution as DS, however, it's understandable since it's DS compatible..however, all this specs don't mean much untill we see more games running and some of it's power used!

EDIT: And damn that red one is pretty..

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
2GB games at launch? That means, after a couple of years, there might be 10 GB games, or even 20GB games!
ohmy.gif

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I know
tongue.gif
But I justed wanted to make a point, I couldn't be arsed to think of something proper because I was kind of in a hurry, now I'm not anymore so I can post some slightly more clever stuff again
wink.gif

wanderone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the link tj_cool.

@The Pi

Still no nfo on the chips and processors used and what they're capable of?

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
It's 2GB max at launch. Doesn't mean every game will use it. Remember NSMB Wii? The game is really only about 300MB.

As for the bottom screen not getting the complete treatment as the top screen (it is being expanded to 320x240 though) it is very understandable as to why it won't also be "3D". The 3D works in a way to translate the image to each eye to create the effect. Add in your fingers or the stylus to partially block the effect, and I'm sure your vision will quickly go haywire.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
DiscostewSM said:
It's 2GB max at launch. Doesn't mean every game will use it. Remember NSMB Wii? The game is really only about 300MB.

As for the bottom screen not getting the complete treatment as the top screen (it is being expanded to 320x240 though) it is very understandable as to why it won't also be "3D". The 3D works in a way to translate the image to each eye to create the effect. Add in your fingers or the stylus to partially block the effect, and I'm sure your vision will quickly go haywire.
It's going to be expanded? But, what will happen to the placement of the buttons, then? Will they need to be on the sides of the 3DS? Because I really can't see enough room for an extra amount of screen there...

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
jonesman99 said:
Well at least we know what to expect when it comes to the camera resolution
cry.gif

I really think the 3d effect is going to look a little blah, they could have at least added each 1mp lenses
Yeah, I thought of that too, but, maybe it turns out to be not so bad at all
wink.gif
If they do it right, they might be able to make some neat little pictures with that thing!
biggrin.gif

XLarge

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
for all the dumbasses who say psp has better graphics

compare the best graphics on the psp with a launch title on the 3ds

GoW chains of olympus (max capacity of the psp)
god-of-war-chains-of-olympus-20070711061355279.jpg

Kid icarus uprising (launch game)
kidicarus938_screen.jpg

Already looks better right? I think it will only get better from this point

besides there are no official specs revealed yet so everyone should stop whining

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
next up r43ds...
wink.gif

this looks awesome, im actually going to start saving for it now. im buying this when it comes out. preordering if possible.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Can't really compare the two, because God of War has more 'raw' graphics, whereas Kid Icarus seems to have smoothed out graphics. It does look better though, but it might not be.

XLarge

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Overlord Nadrian said:
Can't really compare the two, because God of War has more 'raw' graphics, whereas Kid Icarus seems to have smoothed out graphics. It does look better though, but it might not be.
the fact that i thought the kid icarus game was for the wii says alot

sethirion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Toni Plutonij said:
Shame that lower screen has same resolution as DS, however, it's understandable since it's DS compatible..however, all this specs don't mean much until we see more games running and some of it's power used!

I remember that the resolution of the NDS is 256 per 192 pixels; the resolution of the 3DS's bottom screen [touch screen] is 320x240 pixels, so:

256x192 =/= 320x240

Anyways, do not jump to conclusions since many things (even the final design) is stated as TBA. I want to see the preocessors since I remember when Nintendo said "You'll get real life images" when N64 was developing, and you can see the "real" when N64 came out.

Still: THIS IS AWESOME!

P.S. : have not seen the Sony conference to check the competition, maybe they will get another equipment "original" to compete against 3DS (lol yeah sure!).

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
sethirion said:
Toni Plutonij said:
Shame that lower screen has same resolution as DS, however, it's understandable since it's DS compatible..however, all this specs don't mean much until we see more games running and some of it's power used!

I remember that the resolution of the NDS is 256 per 192 pixels; the resolution of the 3DS's bottom screen [touch screen] is 320x240 pixels, so:

256x192 =/= 320x240

Anyways, do not jump to conclusions since many things (even the final design) is stated as TBA. I want to see the preocessors since I remember when Nintendo said "You'll get real life images" when N64 was developing, and you can see the "real" when N64 came out.

P.S. : have not seen the Sony conference to check the competition, maybe they will get another equipment "original" to compete against 3DS (lol yeah sure!).
blush.gif

Yeah, you're completely right! My mistake........I mixed up things in my head
tongue.gif

Thanks for correcting me....now, I like it even more
tongue.gif

XLarge

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
sethirion said:
Toni Plutonij said:

256x192 =/= 320x240

The nintendo ds also looked different when it was shown on e3

nintendo_ds_screen001.jpg

you can't deny how ugly this design was

from here on I only expect things to get better

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/sQK1btk8ZUs?si=Z4p2kuM_7fXV7_Ps