• Views 4,528,493
  • Replies 53,797
  • Likes 43

resiamper

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hello all, now I've more time I want to play some more with my o3DS XL, but first I want to upgrade it to the latest Luma version, latest firmware version, etc. The problem is I've not used it since 2018, I've not checked the scene since then, don't remember how I hacked it and can't access old tutorials because, you know, Youtube deleted them.
I've tried some tutorials to swap from arm9loaderhax to boot9strap (because it seems that ARM9LH doesn't support new Luma versions), but the console just powers off automatically after powering it on instead of allowing me to step forward following those tutorials.
I need help to know what did I do to hack my 3DS so I can find a correct guide to follow. I've gathered some information like:
- It doesn't power on without the SD card.
- Luma v.7.1.
- Power on+select ---> Show NAND or user string in System Settings is activated, so I know FBI and everything is installed on SysNAND, which boots automatically after powering on the console.
- Power on+start ---> Shows Decrypt9wip and Hourglass9 (I don't know if this is relevant). Decrypt9 on system info tells me (about SysNAND) "running on arm9loaderhax: yes".
- SysNAND ver. 11.5.0-38F.

On the root of the SD card I find the folders: "3ds", "JKSV", "luma", "Nintendo 3DS" and the files "boot.firm", "Decrypt9.log" and "Hourglass9.log".
Inside "luma" folder I have "config.bin" and a "payloads" folder, containing "Decrypt9WIP.firm", "Hourglass9.firm" and "SafeB9SInstaller.bin".

Thanks and regards.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
[…]
- It doesn't power on without the SD card.
- Luma v.7.1.
- Power on+select ---> Show NAND or user string in System Settings is activated, so I know FBI and everything is installed on SysNAND, which boots automatically after powering on the console.
- Power on+start ---> Shows Decrypt9wip and Hourglass9 (I don't know if this is relevant). Decrypt9 on system info tells me (about SysNAND) "running on arm9loaderhax: yes".
- SysNAND ver. 11.5.0-38F.
[…]
Luma v7.1 means have an outdated version B9S. → Updating B9S or Actualizar B9S [Spanish version]
Follow the guide to the end. Your console will turn on without SD once the boot file is installed to CTRNAND.

YouTube or video guides are often outdated or bad or missing important explanations. In addition to that GBAtemp members active in the 3DS section are used to 3ds.hacks.guide and can help you faster and more easily than when referring to random videos.

If you have further questions and/or problems just ask again.

Good luck and have fun!

Crazynoob458

That Reshiram
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i decided to read sone threads about preventing yourself from a ban itg said it sends telemetry to nintendo even homebrew

but is it now safe ti install homebrew cias without nintendo seeing me runung homebrew

this is a extremely dumb question from a person who doesnt own a 3ds

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i decided to read sone threads about preventing yourself from a ban itg said it sends telemetry to nintendo even homebrew

but is it now safe ti install homebrew cias without nintendo seeing me runung homebrew

this is a extremely dumb question from a person who doesnt own a 3ds
That is not an extremely dumb question, it is just poorly phrased. Take your time typing. Looks like wildly wiping across a smartphone.

Anyway: It is one of the most common questions. And the one question that gets on my nerves: "Will using homebrew, custom firmware and non-legit games lead to an online ban on the 3DS?"
Short answer: No.

Long answer:
There have been no reports of bans or even a ban wave on the 3DS for years now. Streetpass is considered to be save and the setting about sending usage data seems to cause no harm as well (I have both off anyway, even on non-CFW devices). While nobody can/will guarantee that no bans will ever happen, it seems very unlikely after the 3DS is out of official support.
  • Cheating in online gaming might lead to a ban.
  • Extra stupid, illegal stuff like using stolen credit card data for purchasing games might lead to a ban (and some visitors at home)

Youser

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 R4 SDHC 2018 flash cards. I believe one of them has ntrboot and is ready to flash a console. How can I tell which one of the cards is prepped?

Nicky P

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My New 3ds is having issues with NDS games/ booting in general. When I exit out of an NDS game and go the the main menu, most if not all of the time, the music for my theme will play for a second or two while the screen is still black, but then the music will stop and the screen will stay black. I've also had this same issue when booting up my system, but less frequently. I've also noticed that the screen will stay black while playing my 3DS theme music and then the screen will turn on after a few seconds. How do I fix this?

Realta

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello, back in 2016 I think, I bought a r4 3ds (the black one with the wifi logo and no rts sign and website r4i-sdhc. com) to replace my m3i zero that had Sakura ver 1.49 which for a reason wouldn't save the games I played. I could and still can play fine but if I quit the game what I did wouldn't save. When I bought the r4 I was young so my father took care of it but it never worked and I never knew why. Now I would like to play those games again but I only have one micro SD card with said broken Sakura version. I would either like to fix it or upgrade to play 3ds games if possible but I'm the noobest noob of them all so I don't where to start or what I should install. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello, back in 2016 I think, I bought a r4 3ds (the black one with the wifi logo and no rts sign and website r4i-sdhc. com) to replace my m3i zero that had Sakura ver 1.49 which for a reason wouldn't save the games I played. I could and still can play fine but if I quit the game what I did wouldn't save. When I bought the r4 I was young so my father took care of it but it never worked and I never knew why. Now I would like to play those games again but I only have one micro SD card with said broken Sakura version. I would either like to fix it or upgrade to play 3ds games if possible but I'm the noobest noob of them all so I don't where to start or what I should install. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Since you posted this in the 3DS NOOB PARADISE, I'll assume you're using a 2|3DS console despite having problems with an DS flashcart.

Consider installing custom firmware on your console → https://3ds.hacks.guide/ |||| https://3ds.hacks.guide/fr_FR/
This will allow you to install 3DS software directly on the console SD. For DS software a good alternative to a flashcart is TWiLight Menu++ which will load the DS games from the console SD.
The amount of information can be overwhelming and long at first. That is because the guide is written as easy to follow step-by-step instructions. If you encounter any problems or have questions, you will probably find help here on the forum.
------

As for your R4… "Never worked" is not a good description. What happens? Does a logo show when inserting the cart? Error message when starting? Infinite loading screen? A"MENU?" error?
A flashcart from 2016 is highly unlikely to be blocked by the 3DS (Nintendo did this the last time in December2013). Try multiple FAT32 formatted micro-SDs with the official software. You can try alternative kernel software as well: RetroGameFan Updates/Releases Keep in mind that a normal R4 will not play 3DS software, only DS titles.

Good luck and have fun!
==============

Sorry for the late reply. I was so tired yesterday and thought: "Somebody else will surely answer this." Well… I was wrong.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

Realta

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for the reply it's very helpful!
I'm just wondering if there's a way to uninstall everything if I want? Like reformating the 3ds to factory settings?

For the r4, it's been a while so I'm not sure, but I think the 3ds never recognized the card, I have no idea if it's because of the microsd card. I tried yesterday with the official kernel on microsd but it sill wasn't recognized.I just tried with the alternate one and still nothing.
I think I'll just hack my 3ds.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Youser

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Micro SD card I wanted to use on my hacked 2ds but the only format options are exFat and NTFS. Will it work? If not, is there a way to format it so it’s FAT32?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks for the reply it's very helpful!
I'm just wondering if there's a way to uninstall everything if I want? Like reformating the 3ds to factory settings?

For the r4, it's been a while so I'm not sure, but I think the 3ds never recognized the card, I have no idea if it's because of the microsd card. I tried yesterday with the official kernel on microsd but it sill wasn't recognized.I just tried with the alternate one and still nothing.
I think I'll just hack my 3ds.
The option "Format System Memory" thankfully does not remove the B9S. The custom firmware can be removed, but I don't recommend doing so (nothing to gain)
https://3ds.hacks.guide/uninstall-cfw

Note that if you modify system files the console might brick on CFW removal (that is what the safety test is for). If you just follow the guide and install 3DS games CFW removal should be no problem (but there is no reason to ever do that).

If the 3DS does not show an icon after inserting the R4 it is either extremely old and fully blocked (extremely old means not DSi or 3DS compatible at all) or has contact issues or is defective. Try with a DS Lite or DS Phat to rule out any blocking issues.

I have a Micro SD card I wanted to use on my hacked 2ds but the only format options are exFat and NTFS. Will it work? If not, is there a way to format it so it’s FAT32?
Modern Windows does not support formatting drives >32GB to FAT32 with built-in tools because… because… no idea why.
The already mentioned → Guiformat.
There are a lot of formatting tools.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

Youser

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nope. You need a program like Guiformat and use that to format to FAT32

Hello.:)

You can use this Tool:
https://fat32format-gui.en.lo4d.com/windows

Thank you.:)

The option "Format System Memory" thankfully does not remove the B9S. The custom firmware can be removed, but I don't recommend doing so (nothing to gain)
https://3ds.hacks.guide/uninstall-cfw

Note that if you modify system files the console might brick on CFW removal (that is what the safety test is for). If you just follow the guide and install 3DS games CFW removal should be no problem (but there is no reason to ever do that).

If the 3DS does not show an icon after inserting the R4 it is either extremely old and fully blocked (extremely old, not DSi or 3DS compatible at all) or has contact issues. Try with a DS Lite or DS Phat to rule out any blocking issues.

Modern Windows does not support formatting drives >32GB to FAT32 with built-in tools because… because… no idea why.
The already mentioned → Guiformat.
There are a lot of formatting tools.

Thanks guys. The card is a 128GB card, would this be a problem?

jkrosado

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is it possible to replace the health and safety info app on a new 3ds/new 2ds with the one from the old 3ds?

any tools that you recommend please check if they work on macOS, i use a mac and i can't install most windows apps through wine because of macOS 10.15 removing 32 bit apps

Last edited by jkrosado,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Welp