• Likes 43

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@wormdood

Kind of complicated about a thing on my spare 3ds with cfw that says ''sys 11.4'' something, and some games didn't work when i inserted them.

Edit: http://prntscr.com/hr8pyh
first i recommend updating your cfw (this in itself may help) A9LH to B9S - 3DS Guide (if that does not help i will give . . . better advice)
Does the 3DS itself matter for luma 9.0? Because I’d like to update on both my o3ds and n3ds.
no its fine for any 3ds/2ds variant

Last edited by wormdood,

megametalgreymon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello. I am interested in playing the various Pokémon 3DS ROM hacks that have been made, and also randomizing the actual Pokémon main series titles available on 3DS to play. I have looked through guides on how to install these games, but I believe that I have confused myself as some of the methods I have read are considered outdated currently. So I have quite a few questions and some clarifications/explanations before I actually attempt to install these games.

A lot of people are saying that installing CFW (particularly Luma3DS) is the easiest way to install ROM hacks currently, rather than using a method that doesn't require CFW. When I try to get more details on why the non CFW method is bad, I have only come up with people saying that it is outdated or that it will not work anymore. Though I have also seen responses that the outdated non CFW method still works with the latest main series 3DS Pokémon games (Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon), which has gotten me confused on if this method is viable or not currently. I believe that the non CFW method I am referring to is HANS, but I may be wrong if there are others. I would like an explanation on why HANS (and any non CFW methods that would allow me to run Pokémon 3DS ROM hacks) are an inferior choice compared to installing a CFW. Personally I would rather not install a CFW is what I am trying to attain is possible from within userland, but I am willing to hear why the CFW creates the better experience. I am only looking to play Pokémon 3DS ROM hacks, randomizers, and 3DS fan translations with the modded 3DS system.

I have looked over the 3DS guide to installing Luma3DS and it seems straightforward, but I still have a few questions:

1) If I use a New 3DS XL system on FW 9.0-9.2, will I have to update to 11.6 officially to properly install the latest version of Luma3DS?

2) Is there a difference between installing Luma3DS on a system with FW below 11.0 compared to systems that have FW 11.0 and higher?

3) I am aware that the SoundHax exploit has been patched for 11.4 onward, but would using a copy of Cubic Ninja or Freakyforms Deluxe still allow me to install Luma3DS (I own both of those games)?

4) If I do not have to officially update the 9.0-9.2 New 3DS XL when installing Luma3DS, how would I be able to run 3DS games that require newer firmware like Pokémon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon and their ROM hacks?

5) Is it possible to install multiple versions of the same title on one 3DS system if they are modified (ex. Pokémon Sun ROM hack and Pokémon Sun randomized can both be installed on a system at the same time)?

6) I am assuming that randomizing Pokémon 3DS ROMs requires the microSD card to be taken out of the system and put into a PC to do the actual modifications. If I want to do this somewhat frequently, would purchasing a New Nintendo 2DS XL be a better option than a New 3DS XL has I would not need to unscrew the backside to remove the microSD card? The purchase of the New 2DS XL also draws back to the question of if Ninjhax or Freakyhax are enough to allow Luma3DS to be installed since New 2DS XL models come with FW 11.4 or higher.

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello. I am interested in playing the various Pokémon 3DS ROM hacks that have been made, and also randomizing the actual Pokémon main series titles available on 3DS to play. I have looked through guides on how to install these games, but I believe that I have confused myself as some of the methods I have read are considered outdated currently. So I have quite a few questions and some clarifications/explanations before I actually attempt to install these games.

A lot of people are saying that installing CFW (particularly Luma3DS) is the easiest way to install ROM hacks currently, rather than using a method that doesn't require CFW. When I try to get more details on why the non CFW method is bad, I have only come up with people saying that it is outdated or that it will not work anymore. Though I have also seen responses that the outdated non CFW method still works with the latest main series 3DS Pokémon games (Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon), which has gotten me confused on if this method is viable or not currently. I believe that the non CFW method I am referring to is HANS, but I may be wrong if there are others. I would like an explanation on why HANS (and any non CFW methods that would allow me to run Pokémon 3DS ROM hacks) are an inferior choice compared to installing a CFW. Personally I would rather not install a CFW is what I am trying to attain is possible from within userland, but I am willing to hear why the CFW creates the better experience. I am only looking to play Pokémon 3DS ROM hacks, randomizers, and 3DS fan translations with the modded 3DS system.

I have looked over the 3DS guide to installing Luma3DS and it seems straightforward, but I still have a few questions:

1) If I use a New 3DS XL system on FW 9.0-9.2, will I have to update to 11.6 officially to properly install the latest version of Luma3DS?

2) Is there a difference between installing Luma3DS on a system with FW below 11.0 compared to systems that have FW 11.0 and higher?

3) I am aware that the SoundHax exploit has been patched for 11.4 onward, but would using a copy of Cubic Ninja or Freakyforms Deluxe still allow me to install Luma3DS (I own both of those games)?

4) If I do not have to officially update the 9.0-9.2 New 3DS XL when installing Luma3DS, how would I be able to run 3DS games that require newer firmware like Pokémon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon and their ROM hacks?

5) Is it possible to install multiple versions of the same title on one 3DS system if they are modified (ex. Pokémon Sun ROM hack and Pokémon Sun randomized can both be installed on a system at the same time)?

6) I am assuming that randomizing Pokémon 3DS ROMs requires the microSD card to be taken out of the system and put into a PC to do the actual modifications. If I want to do this somewhat frequently, would purchasing a New Nintendo 2DS XL be a better option than a New 3DS XL has I would not need to unscrew the backside to remove the microSD card? The purchase of the New 2DS XL also draws back to the question of if Ninjhax or Freakyhax are enough to allow Luma3DS to be installed since New 2DS XL models come with FW 11.4 or higher.
1-2) Whatever you do, do not update your system before following http://3ds.guide. 9.0-9.2 is a great firmware to be on because you can use Soundhax. Just read and follow the guide carefully and do not skip any steps. There is a big difference if you tried to install Luma3DS on an 11.6 system versus and 9.0-9.2 system. The 11.6 system would need a compatible DS flashcard to do ntrboothax (which is all explained in 3ds.guide).
3) Those games would work, but only on systems with firmwares 11.3 or below.
4) As you follow 3ds.guide, you'll be prompted to update your system. Again, do not update beforehand. Keep your system on 9.0-9.2 until you are prompted to update. At that point in the guide, you will have installed CFW and it is safe to update. That's how you run games that require higher firmwares to run.
5) No multiple versions of one title can be installed on one system, especially with Pokemon games. Changing the title ID of the game would work but you cannot change the title ID of Pokemon games otherwise the game will refuse to load.
6) This goes back to the paragraph I wrote on questions 1 and 2. You would need a compatible DS flashcart for New 2DS XL systems since it's on 11.4. Just keep the back plate unscrewed. The back plate won't fall off.

Last edited by KunoichiZ,
Reactions: Quantumcat

megametalgreymon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for clarifying/answering my questions. I have a few more to follow up from your responses/some additional questions:

7) When I am prompted to upgrade my 3DS while following the 3ds.guide, will this actually upgrade the official FW to 11.6 (or whatever the current official firmware is) and if so, how does installing Luma3DS make if safe to run games that require a higher FW if the 3DS has to do the official update that updates itself to the latest FW?

8) If I install Luma3DS on a old 3DS model at FW 11.0 or below, will it be possible to run Pokémon (Ultra)Sun/(Ultra)Moon ROM hacks and randomizers on these models since they require extended memory?

Thanks again for the first set of responses. Would it be possible to provide an explanation for my confusions on how exactly the non CFW methods to run ROM hacks are inferior to CFW choices aside from the non CFW methods being "outdated?"

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for clarifying/answering my questions. I have a few more to follow up from your responses/some additional questions:

7) When I am prompted to upgrade my 3DS while following the 3ds.guide, will this actually upgrade the official FW to 11.6 (or whatever the current official firmware is) and if so, how does installing Luma3DS make if safe to run games that require a higher FW if the 3DS has to do the official update that updates itself to the latest FW?

8) If I install Luma3DS on a old 3DS model at FW 11.0 or below, will it be possible to run Pokémon (Ultra)Sun/(Ultra)Moon ROM hacks and randomizers on these models since they require extended memory?

Thanks again for the first set of responses. Would it be possible to provide an explanation for my confusions on how exactly the non CFW methods to run ROM hacks are inferior to CFW choices aside from the non CFW methods being "outdated?"
7) Yes it does. It's safe to update because you'll have your CFW when you update. It doesn't make it safe to run games, per say, but it's safe in that you'll keep your CFW. There were times in the past where it wasn't safe to update your firmware but it's 100% safe now.
8) You can't run the games at all on lower firmwares because they require at least 11.0 (for SuMo) and 11.4 for USUM to run. You'd have to update your firmware to play the games regardless of if you have Luma3DS or not. On an old 3DS and running ROM hacks, you can use Luma3DS's layeredfs feature or run Mode 3 BootNTR Selector and NTR CFW.

HANS, the old method forrunning ROM hacks, is outdated because A) it hasn't been updated to support future games, B) it doesn't reliably run the games it can run, and C) it doesn't support game updates. Luma3DS and its layeredfs, one of the methods for running ROM hacks these days (NTR CFW, which despite its name, is not a CFW but an app you run), is being updated and supports updates to games.

Last edited by KunoichiZ,

poulette73

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
How to export/re create a CIA file from a New 3DS ?

Hello everybody,

First all sorry for my bad english, and if my question is in the wrong section.

I have a New 3DS XL 11.6.0-39E, CFW with latest Luma3DS v9.0, GodMode9, FBI, Freeshop etc.

For example, I got a game in .CIA format.
I put it on my internal microSD card, then installed with FBI, deleted the CIA file. At this state all is ok, game is working fine.

And if after I wanted to reconvert the same game installed on my New 3DS XL in a CIA file ? In order to export and keep it on a hard drive or USB key for later.

Is there a way, or is there a tool to perform this conversion and create again a dump of the game like a CIA as originally ?

Thank's a lot in advance.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
How to export/re create a CIA file from a New 3DS ?

Hello everybody,

First all sorry for my bad english, and if my question is in the wrong section.

I have a New 3DS XL 11.6.0-39E, CFW with latest Luma3DS v9.0, GodMode9, FBI, Freeshop etc.

For example, I got a game in .CIA format.
I put it on my internal microSD card, then installed with FBI, deleted the CIA file. At this state all is ok, game is working fine.

And if after I wanted to reconvert the same game installed on my New 3DS XL in a CIA file ? In order to export and keep it on a hard drive or USB key for later.

Is there a way, or is there a tool to perform this conversion and create again a dump of the game like a CIA as originally ?

Thank's a lot in advance.
Yes, see https://3ds.guide/godmode9-usage under dumping a title.

Reactions: poulette73

poulette73

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Wow, thank you so much Quantumcat, you're definitely the best !! :)
You have the answer to every question, and always available and fast to help others.

Many thanks. :bow:

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@wormdood

Is there not a chance of brick or something if i do something wrong by accident?
as always (when installing cfw) there is a chance . . . but the process is nearly perfect and your chances of bricking is less than .01% . . . and even if you do brick you can use an r4i (ntrboot) to unbrick your console . . . and its the same exact advice anyone on gbatemp would/will give you

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@wormdood

But i see a lot of changes in there and don't know which steps i have to follow inside since my spare 3ds was cfw installed or something already
i have seen the pic of your sd card and its full of (outdated) a9lh files and if you wish to update cfw this is the only was as cfw's have dropped a9lh support in/for future updates

the process looks longer than it actually is but you need to complete the entire page

Sub Zippo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have questions regarding hacking Pokemon S/M/US/UM, primarily with PKSM.

Is there any functional observable difference between a normal pokemon and a legit one that abides by available moves? Is there any harm to wonder trading fabricated pokemon? I know I've gotten a few shiny mythics that couldn't be naturally occurring.

Does raising a pokemon's level with hacks do anything to make it weaker, assuming EVs are given? I ask because some of mine have seemed feeble, though they might have just been feeble pokemon.

Are legendaries IV locked, or else given a set value to their IVs? Or are they at all random.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    20 some years later crash bandicoot still pisses me off
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have you jail broke your ps4 yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been on since 9.0
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you gonna do your ps5 if the hack comes? Is there worries of bans, like the ps3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably not I got cross play friends
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they risk getting flagged or banned, altho spouting profanity in online play alredy does that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Anyone dumb enough to get banned for spouting profanity deserves it.
    +1
  • Y @ YuseiFD:
    Then how come you do it and don't get banned ? or is it a question of getting caught doing it ?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision

the new generation playing MWII won't be as hardened as the previous one playing original MW2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous ones getting shoved down a hillside.
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    exactly my point
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig or Mario's Early Years
    +1
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    ddddddddddddddddddddddd
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my fingie hurt
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Why?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    hangnail thing I think
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ... that's rough buddy
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    peepee
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: peepee