• Views 4,490,406
  • Replies 53,788
  • Likes 43

jmhannz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so heres my newb question. I have a 3DS XL, on 11.2 but now 11.3 since I finished the guide. I am trying to wrap my head around what I did step by step so I can understand more.

I used this guide https://3ds.guide/

It's going to sound stupid but I did it step by step and I want to know what I did so maybe I can make future backups etc. From what I am understanding I did was I downgraded my firmware to 2.0 I guess using CTRTransfer, backup my firmware on 2.0 w my device key(serial?) so if I ever need to go back regardless of firmware also saved it to my desktop and a cloud service in case needed in case of brick I guess? then updated to 11.3 w/ my ARM9 hack so I have Luma, FBI, etc and CFW..

I understand Luma is the CFW That allows this stuff to function such as FBI etc. and FBI to install CIA files yes, but the arm and decrypt and godmode etc all confuse me, ctrtransfer. I just need to know what these tools are generally for....

At the end of the guide I'm on 11.3, I have luma, I have FBI, and Homebrew so I guess I am custom firmed.

Things are working as expected.

Next noob question - would the device work without the SD card in? whats the device physically pull from the SD card on boot
Next - if I want to make a clone of my SD card to future proof myself in case my SD dies is that a smart idea if the 3DS needs it to boot now?, and to make a backup of an SD card (win32diskimager?) - i used this for Raspberry Pi's. would this be ok as it copies all partitions exactly as it is in the card.
LumaUpdater I see it has dailies, I am on the latest GitHub whatever that means, September stable, I don't want nightlies or whatever I like just stable releases I am boring... so when theres an update use this?
FUTURE UPDATES - still avoid at all cost unless approved all over the internet?

Looking at this as well FAQ on Reddit and I'm not even sure what I have, I know SysNAND is the internal chipped storage w/ my CFW? and the emuNAND is the physical SD? In the guide it talks about bypassing the emuNAND and patching sys? No clue...
How do I move files to a new SD card properly?
If you do not have a RedNAND/emuNAND: You'll first need to format your new SD card. You'll need to format the new SD card as FAT32 with 32KB clusters. Do do so, you can either use guiformat on a Windows computer, or using GodMode9 from A9LH. You can load GodMode9 by holding up on the d-pad on boot if you followed the Plailect Guide. If you don't have GodMode9, get GodMode9, copy GodMode9.bin from the GodMode9 .zip to the /luma/payloads/ folder on your SD card, rename GodMode9.bin to up_GodMode9.bin, put your SD back into your 3DS, and hold up on the d-pad to boot into GodMode9. From there, you'll want to unmount your old SD card using the menu option. From there, insert your new SD card and press the home button. A menu will appear. Select "SD Format Options" and select to format the card with no emuNAND, FAT32, and with 32KB clusters. After the formatting is complete, you can power off your 3DS from GodMode9. Then just copy everything on the old SD card (including the Nintendo 3DS folder) to your new SD card.

If you have a RedNAND/emuNAND (if you don't know what a RedNAND/emuNAND is, you don't have one): Use Decrypt9 to make a NAND backup of your RedNAND/emuNAND. Then, format your new SD card via GodMode9 or emuNAND9 so that it has a(n) emuNAND/redNAND partition. Pick the one you are using on your old SD card. If you have a redNAND, format your SD for redNAND, or vice versa. Then, copy that backup, arm9loaderhax.bin (if you have A9LH) or the /3ds/ folder and boot.3dsx (if you have 9.2 sysNAND), and the /luma/ folder to the new SD card. Boot Decrypt9 from A9LH (or the Homebrew Launcher on 9.2 sysNAND) and use it to flash the emuNAND/redNAND NAND backup to the emuNAND/redNAND of the new SD card. After that's finished, then copy the rest of the files from the old SD card, including the Nintendo 3DS folder, to the new SD card.

Last edited by jmhannz,

pixelmasher

Gaming Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so heres my newb question. I have a 3DS XL, on 11.2 but now 11.3 since I finished the guide. I am trying to wrap my head around what I did step by step so I can understand more.

I used this guide https://3ds.guide/

It's going to sound stupid but I did it step by step and I want to know what I did so maybe I can make future backups etc. From what I am understanding I did was I downgraded my firmware to 2.0 I guess using CTRTransfer, backup my firmware on 2.0 w my device key(serial?) so if I ever need to go back regardless of firmware also saved it to my desktop and a cloud service in case needed in case of brick I guess? then updated to 11.3 w/ my ARM9 hack so I have Luma, FBI, etc and CFW..

I understand Luma is the CFW That allows this stuff to function such as FBI etc. and FBI to install CIA files yes, but the arm and decrypt and godmode etc all confuse me, ctrtransfer. I just need to know what these tools are generally for....

At the end of the guide I'm on 11.3, I have luma, I have FBI, and Homebrew so I guess I am custom firmed.

Things are working as expected.

Next noob question - would the device work without the SD card in? whats the device physically pull from the SD card on boot
Next - if I want to make a clone of my SD card to future proof myself in case my SD dies is that a smart idea if the 3DS needs it to boot now?, and to make a backup of an SD card (win32diskimager?) - i used this for Raspberry Pi's. would this be ok as it copies all partitions exactly as it is in the card.
LumaUpdater I see it has dailies, I am on the latest GitHub whatever that means, September stable, I don't want nightlies or whatever I like just stable releases I am boring... so when theres an update use this?
FUTURE UPDATES - still avoid at all cost unless approved all over the internet?

Looking at this as well FAQ on Reddit and I'm not even sure what I have, I know SysNAND is the internal chipped storage w/ my CFW? and the emuNAND is the physical SD? In the guide it talks about bypassing the emuNAND and patching sys? No clue...
How do I move files to a new SD card properly?
If you do not have a RedNAND/emuNAND: You'll first need to format your new SD card. You'll need to format the new SD card as FAT32 with 32KB clusters. Do do so, you can either use guiformat on a Windows computer, or using GodMode9 from A9LH. You can load GodMode9 by holding up on the d-pad on boot if you followed the Plailect Guide. If you don't have GodMode9, get GodMode9, copy GodMode9.bin from the GodMode9 .zip to the /luma/payloads/ folder on your SD card, rename GodMode9.bin to up_GodMode9.bin, put your SD back into your 3DS, and hold up on the d-pad to boot into GodMode9. From there, you'll want to unmount your old SD card using the menu option. From there, insert your new SD card and press the home button. A menu will appear. Select "SD Format Options" and select to format the card with no emuNAND, FAT32, and with 32KB clusters. After the formatting is complete, you can power off your 3DS from GodMode9. Then just copy everything on the old SD card (including the Nintendo 3DS folder) to your new SD card.

If you have a RedNAND/emuNAND (if you don't know what a RedNAND/emuNAND is, you don't have one): Use Decrypt9 to make a NAND backup of your RedNAND/emuNAND. Then, format your new SD card via GodMode9 or emuNAND9 so that it has a(n) emuNAND/redNAND partition. Pick the one you are using on your old SD card. If you have a redNAND, format your SD for redNAND, or vice versa. Then, copy that backup, arm9loaderhax.bin (if you have A9LH) or the /3ds/ folder and boot.3dsx (if you have 9.2 sysNAND), and the /luma/ folder to the new SD card. Boot Decrypt9 from A9LH (or the Homebrew Launcher on 9.2 sysNAND) and use it to flash the emuNAND/redNAND NAND backup to the emuNAND/redNAND of the new SD card. After that's finished, then copy the rest of the files from the old SD card, including the Nintendo 3DS folder, to the new SD card.
We rather you ask question before stuff breaks. These are good questions, if you don't know about it.

Basically the Guide that everyone talks about and you used have you backup your current NAND, flash a modified portion of 2.1.0 NAND to your device, get the OTP and install a9lh, then update your system, and install CFW. It's just a portion of the NAND that gets flashed, as I understand it the main portion that deals with 3DS and not the GBA and DS stuff. You can read about what the payloads do on their read me or their GitHub page. GitHub is just a website developers use to keep track of their code, collaborate, and publish/share their code. Decrypt9 has been folded into GodMode9.
https://github.com/d0k3/GodMode9/ (CTRNAND transfer is part of GodMode9's function.)
https://github.com/d0k3/Decrypt9WIP/
https://github.com/d0k3/EmuNAND9/

You should backup your OTP, stuff from your files9 folder, and your initial NAND backup, and your a9lh NAND backup. You should keep a backup of your SD. Not sure if making a disk image is faster. If it is, feel free to do it that way. You can also just make a folder on your PC and copy everything that's on the SD card into that folder.

If followed the Guide, it haves you copy the arm9loaderhax.bin to your CTRNAND. If you did that, it will boot without SD card, you won't have any digital games available, themes, music, etc. You can still play with DSiWare, cartridge games and view/take photos on/to NAND.

The Guide hasn't used EmuNAND in several months. I forget how many. It has been a while... You have sysNAND. Red/EmuNAND are basically redirect the read/write to the SD instead of reading off the sysNAND. It was a hidden partition on the SD card. Most people don't use this unless they have a reason for it. Some people use it for developing stuff, region change, for using Gateway aka Brickway aka Gatewait, etc. You can check whether you're on sysNAND or EmuNAND by pressing and holding select button while you boot to go into Luma3DS configuration menu and enable "Show NAND or user string in System Settings". When you go into System Settings, it will say Sys 11.3.0-36U (If your console is US.) or Emu 11.3.0-36U. It may say other things if you made a custom user string or using more than 1 EmuNAND. Yours should start with Sys to show you're on sysNAND.

Luma3DS has stable release and "nightly", but it's not every night. It's just when there's activity on the code base. The stable hasn't been updated in a while even though a lot has changed. The nightly is pretty stable. You might have things break once in a blue moon, but you have that happen on the stable too. It's rare. You can use nightly without worries. You update when there's a bugfix or change that you want to use. Lot of people playing with translations and hacks use nightly since it makes playing those things easier.

It's generally safe to update if you have a9lh, unless you have Gateway. That's just all kinds of unsafe. You should update Luma3DS, Homebrew Launcher (HBL), and the HBL payload before you update your system. If you don't use HBL, don't worry about that portion. You can also wait and check this site or 3dshack to see if the update breaks anything before you update.

Hope that answers all your questions or at least most.

jmhannz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We rather you ask question before stuff breaks. These are good questions, if you don't know about it.

Basically the Guide that everyone talks about and you used have you backup your current NAND, flash a modified portion of 2.1.0 NAND to your device, get the OTP and install a9lh, then update your system, and install CFW. It's just a portion of the NAND that gets flashed, as I understand it the main portion that deals with 3DS and not the GBA and DS stuff. You can read about what the payloads do on their read me or their GitHub page. GitHub is just a website developers use to keep track of their code, collaborate, and publish/share their code. Decrypt9 has been folded into GodMode9.
https://github.com/d0k3/GodMode9/ (CTRNAND transfer is part of GodMode9's function.)
https://github.com/d0k3/Decrypt9WIP/
https://github.com/d0k3/EmuNAND9/

You should backup your OTP, stuff from your files9 folder, and your initial NAND backup, and your a9lh NAND backup. You should keep a backup of your SD. Not sure if making a disk image is faster. If it is, feel free to do it that way. You can also just make a folder on your PC and copy everything that's on the SD card into that folder.

If followed the Guide, it haves you copy the arm9loaderhax.bin to your CTRNAND. If you did that, it will boot without SD card, you won't have any digital games available, themes, music, etc. You can still play with DSiWare, cartridge games and view/take photos on/to NAND.

The Guide hasn't used EmuNAND in several months. I forget how many. It has been a while... You have sysNAND. Red/EmuNAND are basically redirect the read/write to the SD instead of reading off the sysNAND. It was a hidden partition on the SD card. Most people don't use this unless they have a reason for it. Some people use it for developing stuff, region change, for using Gateway aka Brickway aka Gatewait, etc. You can check whether you're on sysNAND or EmuNAND by pressing and holding select button while you boot to go into Luma3DS configuration menu and enable "Show NAND or user string in System Settings". When you go into System Settings, it will say Sys 11.3.0-36U (If your console is US.) or Emu 11.3.0-36U. It may say other things if you made a custom user string or using more than 1 EmuNAND. Yours should start with Sys to show you're on sysNAND.

Luma3DS has stable release and "nightly", but it's not every night. It's just when there's activity on the code base. The stable hasn't been updated in a while even though a lot has changed. The nightly is pretty stable. You might have things break once in a blue moon, but you have that happen on the stable too. It's rare. You can use nightly without worries. You update when there's a bugfix or change that you want to use. Lot of people playing with translations and hacks use nightly since it makes playing those things easier.

It's generally safe to update if you have a9lh, unless you have Gateway. That's just all kinds of unsafe. You should update Luma3DS, Homebrew Launcher (HBL), and the HBL payload before you update your system. If you don't use HBL, don't worry about that portion. You can also wait and check this site or 3dshack to see if the update breaks anything before you update.

Hope that answers all your questions or at least most.

Thank you so much for taking the time to go over this in detail ! This clears up a lot. So complete hypothetical question lets say something goes wrong, and you need to restore from that backup you have. What would be the general process to restore everything you had back to normal? Is there a short guide somewhere on this? "In case SH#% happens Lol

Uumas

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Thank you so much for taking the time to go over this in detail ! This clears up a lot. So complete hypothetical question lets say something goes wrong, and you need to restore from that backup you have. What would be the general process to restore everything you had back to normal? Is there a short guide somewhere on this? "In case SH#% happens Lol
Boot to GodMode9 by holding start and restore your nand backup there.

Reactions: jmhannz

pixelmasher

Gaming Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're welcome. I'm glad it wasn't "HALP, I panicked and I screwed things up more by restoring a NAND backup".

The easiest would be to use Hourglass9, the noob friendly version of Decrypt9. It basically got left out in the cold as Decrypt9 got folded into GodMode9. I haven't used GodMode9 to tell you exactly, but the process should be same/similar. Since you don't sound like an idiot and didn't have any trouble with the Guide, I'm sure you can figure it out.

It's probably not 100% accurate since I'm doing this from memory. You copy your NAND backup into files9 folder. Reboot your console holding the key to launch your payload. In Hourglass9, you go into sysNAND backup/restore -> restore (keep a9lh) -> select file -> punch in key combo -> restore -> reboot.

You might copy Nintendo 3DS folder and others on to the SD card if needed since that's where your games, save data and all that lives. It depends on how bad your "accident" was and what needs to be restored.

Reactions: jmhannz

Naridar

Excelsior!
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Hi, I thought I'd try seeking a solution here before opening a separate topic for it. My problem is that after my old SD card got corrupted and I had to setup a new one with Luma3DS, after redownloading Fire Emblem Fates from freeShop and also downloading the DLC for it, the DLC isn't recognized at all, no matter whether I use the freeshop Birthright version, Conquest version (both USA), or an externally downloaded special edition CIA with also externally downloaded DLC pack (also CIA). Trying to load up my backed-up Conquest savegame from the previous SD card (for a Special edition game) doesn't work in the Birthright version either. I can load it up in the special edition but trying to access DLC maps via the Dragon's gate tells me no SD card was found (??).

DLCs work fine in Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse, Super Smash Bros. and Persona Q. FE Fates is the only game with this issue.

System firmware is 11.4 on an o3DS. Luma3DS is the newest hourly version as of this post, but the issue was present in v6.6 stable too. External CIAs were installed with FBI 2.4.8 and freeShop is 2.2.0 SD card is 32GB and has about 5GB free. Previous one was 64GB.

Any ideas for a solution? Tried deleting-redownloading twice already, no cigar.

Edit: Derped out and accidentally installed the region-locked version for the wrong region. Never mind.

Last edited by Naridar, , Reason: Solved

pixelmasher

Gaming Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I thought I'd try seeking a solution here before opening a separate topic for it. My problem is that after my old SD card got corrupted and I had to setup a new one with Luma3DS, after redownloading Fire Emblem Fates from freeShop and also downloading the DLC for it, the DLC isn't recognized at all, no matter whether I use the freeshop Birthright version, Conquest version (both USA), or an externally downloaded special edition CIA with also externally downloaded DLC pack (also CIA). Trying to load up my backed-up Conquest savegame from the previous SD card (for a Special edition game) doesn't work in the Birthright version either. I can load it up in the special edition but trying to access DLC maps via the Dragon's gate tells me no SD card was found (??).

DLCs work fine in Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse, Super Smash Bros. and Persona Q. FE Fates is the only game with this issue.

System firmware is 11.4 on an o3DS. Luma3DS is the newest hourly version as of this post, but the issue was present in v6.6 stable too. External CIAs were installed with FBI 2.4.8 and freeShop is 2.2.0 SD card is 32GB and has about 5GB free. Previous one was 64GB.

Any ideas for a solution? Tried deleting-redownloading twice already, no cigar.
Are you sure you're on 11.4? I haven't heard of any update. We can only help you properly if you provide accurate information.

I'm not familiar with the game, but I know it's one of the few games that makes use of both Save and ExtData. Make sure you restore both. From the error message, I think it's missing ExtData. Maybe someone more knowledgeable about the game can provide more information.

Seleron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello guys,

Today, I have done something really really stupid and this mistake now classifies me as a noob so I came here to ask you my dumb question.

I had 9.2.0-20 version on my sysNAND and 11.2 on my emuNAND in my o3DS. I didn't play with it recently so emuNAND was a bit outdated so I went online to see if its ok to update emuNAND to 11.3. I saw it was ok so I tried to update my emuNAND using Luma and while I was trying to connect to the internet in order to update, something strange happened and I got kicked out of the system settings app. I totally forgot that you go back into sysNAND when you get out go system settings and unfortunately updated the sysNAND to 11.3.

Now all I can do is to launch homebrew with soundhax and all I have is my 9.2.0-20 sysNAND backup as well as 4.5.0 backup. So my question is: Is there anyway to downgrade my sysNAND back to 9.2.0 using home-brew launcher and my sysNAND backup? Although I am hopeless and I suppose I will have to wait until a new exploit has to be found in 11.3 I wanted to try my chance here.

Thank you for your help guys!

Last edited by Seleron,

pixelmasher

Gaming Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello guys,

Today, I have done something really really stupid and this mistake now classifies me as a noob so I came here to ask you my dumb question.

I had 9.2.0-20 version on my sysNAND and 11.2 on my emuNAND in my o3DS. I didn't play with it recently so emuNAND was a bit outdated so I went online to see if its ok to update emuNAND to 11.3. I saw it was ok so I tried to update my emuNAND using Luma and while I was trying to connect to the internet in order to update, something strange happened and I got kicked out of the system settings app. I totally forgot that you go back into sysNAND when you get out go system settings and unfortunately updated the sysNAND to 11.3.

Now all I can do is to launch homebrew with soundhax and all I have is my 9.2.0-20 sysNAND backup as well as 4.5.0 backup. So my question is: Is there anyway to downgrade my sysNAND back to 9.2.0 using home-brew launcher and my sysNAND backup? Although I am hopeless and I suppose I will have to wait until a new exploit has to be found in 11.3 but I wanted to try my chance here.

Thank you for your help guys!
Yes. You can hardmod or DSiWarehax it to flash your NAND backup. You should really get a9lh following the Guide.

homefryguy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. If you have a9lh, updating it is as simple as following replacing the arm9loaderhax.bin file on your SD card.
2. Yes it is. You do have to go into System Settings in order to update your system to the latest firmware, access Parental Controls or access your Internet settings after all.

What should I do if I don't have a9lh? Is installing it similar to what it was from a year ago?

pixelmasher

Gaming Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cheers mate! Thank you for your quick respond. I will get my hands on dsiwarehax now
Not sure if you need 2 consoles for it. It used to required 2 consoles to perform, but fasthax made it doable with single console. It wasn't designed for downgrading, but as I understand it, it can be used to gain access to flash a NAND backup. I'm not sure about the exact details.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Not sure if you need 2 consoles for it. It used to required 2 consoles to perform, but fasthax made it doable with single console. It wasn't designed for downgrading, but as I understand it, it can be used to gain access to flash a NAND backup. I'm not sure about the exact details.
@Seleron you need two consoles (with one modded already), unless you already own Fieldrunners or Legends of Exidia. The process is to buy a DSiWare game on the hacked console, inject Legends of Exidia into it (so the shell is the game you bought but when you launch it, it plays Legends of Exidia), inject a hacked save that lets you use it for DSiWarehax, then system transfer this to the unhacked console. The injected game and save transfer also so you can use DSiWarehax on the unhacked console, which lets you restore the NAND backup.

A month ago I opened an issue on Plailect's github to get this added into the guide, but he was rude and dismissive. If you want to see it on the guide, comment on the issue so he knows people want it. https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/issues/980

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
The only section I need is Section 2 and a little bit of Section 1 right?
Once you've restored your backup you need to follow the whole guide (if you want a9lh). If you're happy to just launch it from homebrew and not have a9lh then yeah you can just follow the first page (homebrew through SoundHax).

Last edited by Quantumcat,

Seleron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
@Seleron you need two consoles (with one modded already), unless you already own Fieldrunners or Legends of Exidia. The process is to buy a DSiWare game on the hacked console, inject Legends of Exidia into it (so the shell is the game you bought but when you launch it, it plays Legends of Exidia), inject a hacked save that lets you use it for DSiWarehax, then system transfer this to the unhacked console. The injected game and save transfer also so you can use DSiWarehax on the unhacked console, which lets you restore the NAND backup.

A month ago I opened an issue on Plailect's github to get this added into the guide, but he was rude and dismissive. If you want to see it on the guide, comment on the issue so he knows people want it. https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/issues/980

Hello mate, thanks for your answer.

I found this (https://github.com/Plailect/Guide_RedNAND/wiki/DSiWare-Downgrade), do you think it is still usable? I am not sure how to find a second console but I thought of buying one of the dsiware games online from the e-shop (of course, if nintendo is smart enough they must have already banned games from the e-shop). Do you think I will be able to do it by buying the game from e-shop?

Thanks for your help mate!

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello mate, thanks for your answer.

I found this (https://github.com/Plailect/Guide_RedNAND/wiki/DSiWare-Downgrade), do you think it is still usable? I am not sure how to find a second console but I thought of buying one of the dsiware games online from the e-shop (of course, if nintendo is smart enough they must have already banned games from the e-shop). Do you think I will be able to do it by buying the game from e-shop?

Thanks for your help mate!
You need a second 3DS. There's no way around that. And I am pretty sure all those games have been pulled.
This is the DSiWare method people talk about: http://web.archive.org/web/20161214...ware-downgrade-(app-injection-and-second-3ds)

Reactions: Quantumcat

Seleron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

homefryguy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once you've restored your backup you need to follow the whole guide (if you want a9lh). If you're happy to just launch it from homebrew and not have a9lh then yeah you can just follow the first page (homebrew through SoundHax).

I've followed an old guide from github from a year ago, I'd rather do all of that crap on a fresh 3DS. I might as well update my CakesFW manually right?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @RedColoredStars, like a cat gta?