SylverReZ

Certified GBATemp Boomer
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! I'm currently trying to install DLC for Fates using FBI and hshop manual download (my ds can't read QR codes anymore for some reason), but unfortunately it doesn't seem to work. The only recommendations I've seen from people is to download BigBlueMenu. but it's then immediately followed by people telling me that BigBlueMenu is outdated and won't be compatible. What do I do? I want to get these on my system before the internet shuts off in April lol.
Download the (.CIA) files and install them with FBI.

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question 1: What files do I keep after years of updating?

Updated my 3DS, but I have so many things leftover from forgotten days and was wondering what is safe to delete/uninstall. Might be easier to ask what should my SD card look like after updating luma/finalizing?

Yup, thanks Kwyjor for pointing out the obvious!

Question 2: Is there any need to keep old backups? Or should I just keep the latest one?

Old ones have .xorpad, .bin, .enc, .dat, .app files. Especially wondering about opt, and slot files. Specifically wondering about boot9.bin SecureInfo_A and HWCAL0.dat and HWCAL1.dat.

Question 3: For saves, I should be using Checkpoint rather than JKSV and svdt or MHGSV, correct?

Last edited by 9780553573404,

godstopper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey, sorry if this is a dumb question but how do i actually get the homebrew into hbl if its not in update installer as for context i have a cia 3dsx and a SMDH but no idea how get them into hbl ty

valordias

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi I'm kind of new to this hacking 3DS thing but basically, my sd card worked fine 4gigs but then i switched to a 32gigs and now everytime i try to download something either with qr code from fbi, downloading thru cias or from the hshop it says bus error and that my sd card was removed. my sd card is fully new so i don't think it's corrupted

thanks!!
Post automatically merged:

Hi I'm kind of new to this hacking 3DS thing but basically, my sd card worked fine 4gigs but then i switched to a 32gigs and now everytime i try to download something either with qr code from fbi, downloading thru cias or from the hshop it says bus error and that my sd card was removed. my sd card is fully new so i don't think it's corrupted

thanks!!

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey, sorry if this is a dumb question but how do i actually get the homebrew into hbl if its not in update installer as for context i have a cia 3dsx and a SMDH but no idea how get them into hbl ty
You can install the CIA through FBI to make it appear in the Home menu, or you can put the .3dsx and .smdh into your "3DS" folder to launch them from the Homebrew Launcher. If you want more details, why not say exactly what you are trying to run? Or check the software's homepage for details?

my sd card is fully new so i don't think it's corrupted
Even new cards can get corrupted, especially if they come from unreliable sources. The only way to be sure is to format the card and test it with h2testw.

Reactions: CoolMe

valordias

Trophies
XP
Country
France
You can install the CIA through FBI to make it appear in the Home menu, or you can put the .3dsx and .smdh into your "3DS" folder to launch them from the Homebrew Launcher. If you want more details, why not say exactly what you are trying to run? Or check the software's homepage for details?

Even new cards can get corrupted, especially if they come from unreliable sources. The only way to be sure is to format the card and test it with h2testw.
I already tested it with h2testw and nothing's wrong so idk where the problem is coming from?

I already tested it with h2testw and nothing's wrong so idk where the problem is coming from?

DracoTheKid115

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IMG_3181.jpg
IMG_3182.jpg
I have a question about these crashes. What are they, what do they mean, and how would I go about fixing them? I keep getting this error upon a crash whenever I load up a VC game (seems to only be VC games for now), the microSD Management tab in the system settings, and whenever I turn off/on cheats really fast on any game that actually loads. I know the program is crashable whenever I start it up and a blue screen flashes before the game loads up (So far every game/program does that). I never get this error upon starting up my 3DS, only on the aforementioned circumstances I mentioned before. I have made sure my CFW was loading from the micro SD card, I made sure to update luma to the latest version as I am on the current latest firmware, and when I went to import the seeds from FBI it wouldn't let me import the seeds for any of my VC games except a LTTP and even when I managed to import that seed successfully, the game still crashed.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are you aware that you've double-posted twice now?

Did you use h2testw while the card was blank? Have you tried to use it since you've started experiencing these problems, or did you only test it before?

What are they, what do they mean, and how would I go about fixing them?
Copy everything off (preferably with Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier), format the card, test the empty card with h2testw, and then copy everything back if the test is okay.

The SD card is by far the most likely thing to fail and it is pointless to try anything else without ruling that out first.

Reactions: DracoTheKid115

valordias

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Are you aware that you've double-posted twice now?

Did you use h2testw while the card was blank? Have you tried to use it since you've started experiencing these problems, or did you only test it before?
yes sorry, new to gbatemp. I used h2testw while the card was blank and even when it wasn't blank, same result, the test is finished without errors.
Basically when i play or when i'm computer it works perfectly, it's only when i try to download cias. I brought this SD card specifically for the 3DS and never had used it before, it's brand new and i brought it in a store that i know is reliable.

edit: i just reformatted my micro sd card with guiformat we'll see i'm putting it all back in: now i cant install anything when i try to install a cia it freezes and i have to turn off the 3DS.
Edit: fbi still bus error and hshop same when i try to download 500 or 1g games

Last edited by valordias,

ganons

Trophies
XP
Country
trying to hack old 3ds on latest fw

but get this error

1. Setup MSET9
2. Inject trigger file 002F003A.txt
3. Delete trigger file 002F003A.txt
4. Remove MSET9, DO NOT FORGET to run this after you finish the exploit!
5. Exit
>>>1
Setting up... done.
>>>2
Injecting...Traceback (most recent call last):
File "mset9.py", line 328, in <module>
inject()
File "mset9.py", line 205, in inject
with open(trigger_path,"w") as f:
OSError: [Errno 22] Invalid argument: 'Nintendo 3DS/ccabd09d5c61e69df4a575333238f0a7/\uffff\ufaff餑䠇䚅敩ꄈ∁䬅䞘䙨䙙ꫀᰗ䙃䰃䞠䞸退ࠊꁱࠅ캙ࠄsdmc退ࠊb9/extdata/002F003A.txt'

kuro0628neko

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I truly do not understand anything about how Retroarch/libreto works. Anything remotely close to a tutorial that I find seems to assume you are already ten steps into the whole process. Is there anywhere for ultranoobs to get into the swing of it?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is there anywhere for ultranoobs to get into the swing of it?
The easiest thing to do would be to forgo Retroarch entirely and just use individual emulators for whatever you want to do. The 3DS version of Retroarch is not regarded as being well-supported.

(I could hardly even figure out the PC version.)

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I do not know why they decided to make the interface such a confusing mess when older versions were simpler to use, and they tend to do a pretty poor job at explaining how to use it on their site. Heck, most of their sections have huge, empty areas where guides or information should be, and most information that exists is only for the PC release.

With all that said, getting to make it work is possible if you spend enough time trying things, and to be honest, a well configured RA provides a pretty good playing experience.

What do yo not understand exactly?

For one, I only recommend having the cores you know you're going to use, because they clutter up the experience pretty bad. Chances are that, unless you're a very, very, very big NES fan, to name one example you probably don't need three emulators for it at once. You don't need all the SNES cores, specially since most of them do not have good performance. 2002 wors well for most games and 2005 could be used for those few that don't. The others I haven't had luck with.

Choosing and picking what you want to use will help making getting to RA faster, and making game selections also less bothersome.

Each core has to be installed, like a game or an app. You can do so through Retro Arch itself, by booting the main app and trying to play a game compatible with said core (a NES game for FCEUM, for example). You can use FBI if you want, though (you'll have to use it for the main retroarch cia anyway).

Once a game is loaded, the first thing to understand is that there are two menus. The Quick Menu, which includes things like Save States, Close Game, Core Options (Settings exclusive to each core), and Overrides among others (this last one is very important). You'll always be on Quick Menu whenever you load a game.

If you push B while on the Quick Menu, you go to the Main Menu. There, you can Load Cores (Rather useless with how modern RetroArch works), Load Content (Which lets you choose any game for any core, so this is what you'll use most of the time). but most importantly, the Settings menu.

The best thing to after loading a game for the first time do is go back to the Main Menu, and go to Settings and Video options (Scaling). There you should configure the aspect ratio to make it look pixel perfect. Each system has its own resolution but they are easy to find, I could share what I have if needed.

For example, except for a couple exceptions like Dragon Quest V, SNES games are 256x224. Game Boy is 160x144, and GBA is 240x160.

Some systems have more than one resolution, like NES that can be 240x224 or 256x224 depending on the game, and Mega Drive can be 320x224 or 256x224 again depending on each game.

Now, to be sure you save whatever settings you have, I found the best is going to the Quick Menu after you've made your settings and go to the Overrides section. There, you use Save Core Overrides, and anytime that Core will be loaded, the settings used will be used.

This menu is also very useful because you can set Overrides per game, for those that have different resolutions, or if you want customized controls for one specific game.

Another thing I'd recommend to do to is to have a folder with all the games separated by systems. So a folder like "Games" that inside has "NES, "SNES" etc. Once you have at least the main folder, you can go to the Main Menu, Directory, and set that folder on the confusingly named "Downloads" section.

"Downloads" is for a lack of a better word, what RetroArch thinks your "main folder" where your games are.

I've found myself annoyed by RetroArch UI's for years, but I think people have a fear of trying stuff too, which gets amplified by the way the options have been laid up on RA.

If you have questions I could try to help, but I don't know what you want to do with it in the first place.

kuro0628neko

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do not know why they decided to make the interface such a confusing mess when older versions were simpler to use, and they tend to do a pretty poor job at explaining how to use it on their site. Heck, most of their sections have huge, empty areas where guides or information should be, and most information that exists is only for the PC release.

With all that said, getting to make it work is possible if you spend enough time trying things, and to be honest, a well configured RA provides a pretty good playing experience.

What do yo not understand exactly?

For one, I only recommend having the cores you know you're going to use, because they clutter up the experience pretty bad. Chances are that, unless you're a very, very, very big NES fan, to name one example you probably don't need three emulators for it at once. You don't need all the SNES cores, specially since most of them do not have good performance. 2002 wors well for most games and 2005 could be used for those few that don't. The others I haven't had luck with.

Choosing and picking what you want to use will help making getting to RA faster, and making game selections also less bothersome.

Each core has to be installed, like a game or an app. You can do so through Retro Arch itself, by booting the main app and trying to play a game compatible with said core (a NES game for FCEUM, for example). You can use FBI if you want, though (you'll have to use it for the main retroarch cia anyway).

Once a game is loaded, the first thing to understand is that there are two menus. The Quick Menu, which includes things like Save States, Close Game, Core Options (Settings exclusive to each core), and Overrides among others (this last one is very important). You'll always be on Quick Menu whenever you load a game.

If you push B while on the Quick Menu, you go to the Main Menu. There, you can Load Cores (Rather useless with how modern RetroArch works), Load Content (Which lets you choose any game for any core, so this is what you'll use most of the time). but most importantly, the Settings menu.

The best thing to after loading a game for the first time do is go back to the Main Menu, and go to Settings and Video options (Scaling). There you should configure the aspect ratio to make it look pixel perfect. Each system has its own resolution but they are easy to find, I could share what I have if needed.

For example, except for a couple exceptions like Dragon Quest V, SNES games are 256x224. Game Boy is 160x144, and GBA is 240x160.

Some systems have more than one resolution, like NES that can be 240x224 or 256x224 depending on the game, and Mega Drive can be 320x224 or 256x224 again depending on each game.

Now, to be sure you save whatever settings you have, I found the best is going to the Quick Menu after you've made your settings and go to the Overrides section. There, you use Save Core Overrides, and anytime that Core will be loaded, the settings used will be used.

This menu is also very useful because you can set Overrides per game, for those that have different resolutions, or if you want customized controls for one specific game.

Another thing I'd recommend to do to is to have a folder with all the games separated by systems. So a folder like "Games" that inside has "NES, "SNES" etc. Once you have at least the main folder, you can go to the Main Menu, Directory, and set that folder on the confusingly named "Downloads" section.

"Downloads" is for a lack of a better word, what RetroArch thinks your "main folder" where your games are.

I've found myself annoyed by RetroArch UI's for years, but I think people have a fear of trying stuff too, which gets amplified by the way the options have been laid up on RA.

If you have questions I could try to help, but I don't know what you want to do with it in the first place.
Let's say, as an example, I want to play Paper Mario. I know there is Daedalus for that, but let's pretend I want to use Retroarch. Even though you broke down the steps pretty thoroughly, pretend I am a boomer lol.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I know there is Daedalus for that, but let's pretend I want to use Retroarch.
If I'm not gravely mistaken, it's not going to work any better in Retroarch than it does in Daedalus. In fact, the standalone version of Daedalus will probably be more up-to-date than the Retroarch core.

Even though you broke down the steps pretty thoroughly, pretend I am a boomer lol.
If you want other people to put in extra effort, why don't you start by making an effort of your own and provide some indication of what you don't understand?

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Well, that's a bad choice because as far as I know, there's no N64 core for 3ds.

But let's put an example with Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars for Super Nintendo, just to keep on the Mario RPG thing.

First, you need RetroArch. Currently the latest version is 1.16, but it has an audio glitch on the 3DS version, so I recommend 1.15. Here it is:

http://buildbot.libretro.com/stable/1.15.0/nintendo/3ds/

Grab the CIA version. Once dowloaded, you open the package and see two folders: cia, and retroarch.

The first one only holds retroarch.cia, and can be put wherever you put your cia files to install. The retroarch folder goes into the root of your SD card.

Once it's there, go to the retroarch/cores folder. That long list of files are the emulators you'll use, known as cores. As I mentioned, is best to only use the ones you want to use. In this example we will only use snes9x2002_libretro.cia, so if you want, create a new folder there named Unused, and move all the others there.

Once that's done, go to the root of your sd card, and create another folder, name it whatever you want, and it will be used to hold the games you're going to use with retroarch. I personally order them by systems, and inside each system folder, by genres. This keeps things much tiddier.

Once you have your game, and the retroarch files, you can take the SD card on your 3DS or 2DS (New systems are preferrable, though!).

Once on your console, open FBI, and install retroarch.cia. This will install the main Retroarch access. Open it up, and after a few seconds, you will find yourself in the main menu of Retroarch.

Here, you should go to Load Content (Content meaning games), choose Explore and go to the folder you set up for your games, and choose Super Mario RPG.

Retroarch will, or could prompt you with choosing which emulator to play it on, if you have several of them that can accept the formats that SNES games use. If you have only snes9x_2002 though, it might pick it automatically.

Whatever the case, choose that one if you need to, and then it will be installed in your console.
Wait a couple seconds and you'll see the game boot up and start playing.

And there you go, you have the game running! Now, as I mentioned, I would recommend setting up at least the aspect ratio so your games look pixel perfect.

You can tap the lower screen to enter Retroarch Menu at any time. Doing so will take you to the Quick Menu that I mentioned before. Press B, to go to the Main Menu. Choose settings, and then Video and Scaling.

There, go to Custom Aspect Ratio Width and set it to 256, and Height to 224. The two options above serve you to center the screen if you want it in any particular position. Also set Crop Overscan ON if it's not.

Now, press B to exit back to Settings. Go to Directory. Go to Downloads, the second option and press A. Navigate to the folder you put for the games, and choose <Use This Directory>. Now whenever you choose Load Content, you can go to the "Downloads" and get instantly to your folder instead of navigating to it every time.

Lastly, press B to go back to the Main Menu, and then choose Quick Menu. Press A, and then on the bottom go to Overrides. Then choose Save Core Overrides, and that should be the most basic setup.

After that you can just play. By doing this you've basically set up your SNES emulator to look good, and you can boot any SNES game with that configuration so you don't need to do anything more.

There's a lot more you can tweak but that's the simplest of steps. Borders, core settings to change palettes for systems that allow it, customize controls per game if it's your thing, and a lot more. But you don't need to learn all of that instantly, is better to keep trying stuff little by little if you care about it. I myself I found out earlier that you can apparently change the bottom screen's menu and make it nicer to look at.

Of course anyone reading this needs to understand we're dealing with the system's limitations, and that some emulators might have performance issues for that, while others work poorly, like the Virtual Boy one, but that's more on the emulator itself than the system (it also works poorly on the Wii, but at least that console has the WiiMednafen VB emulator).

It's a matter of trying and finding which ones perform well.

Last edited by Maeson,
Reactions: kuro0628neko

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • light27 @ light27:
    AncientBoi
    "AncientBoi - the it :ohnoes:"
  • light27 @ light27:
    -light27 profile comments, 2023
  • light27 @ light27:
    when we were talking about psps
  • light27 @ light27:
    and i was really REALLY bad at coding
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Went to your page to remember. yea, I'm still here
  • light27 @ light27:
    if i had more energy (i just woke up) there would be about 50 more reallys
    +2
  • light27 @ light27:
    nice
  • light27 @ light27:
    say, do you happen to have a modded wii u or 3ds
    nope. Just me and my PSP 3001
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @light27, I own a dsi and a ps3
    +2
    I think I own a shoe. It's here.... Somewhere
  • light27 @ light27:
    LOL
    +1
  • light27 @ light27:
    hmm yes
  • light27 @ light27:
    wait
  • light27 @ light27:
    what if shoes are games and the cartridges are your feet
    +1
    👞 Found it :hrth::toot::grog::D:grog::toot::hrth:
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    it was in your ass wasn't it?
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also i don't have a wii u or a 3ds, but i do have a wii and a dsi, both modded
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    brb
    It was in yours actually :D:tpi::rofl2:
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    pulled it out of my ass like a tapeworm
    (yes that's a song reference)
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or im still here
    +1