• Views 4,444,065
  • Replies 53,769
  • Likes 43

BobDoleOwndU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm aware a lot of information here suggests that 9.3+ firmware versions cannot operate hacks, but smea's site seems to indicate, certainly at least for browserhax they were only patched in 10.2?

I'm just wondering as I managed to get an old 3ds on the cheap a couple days back and the previous owner had it sitting on 10.2.0-28E, I've refrained from updating but I wondered what my options are? I've spent today and yesterday trying to find different solutions in various threads and sites but it's all rather confused me. I've used an RD(NDSL/NDS) on my DS lite and that served the purpose of what I wanted, the ability to run ROMs. That said I'm also interested in the possibilities of other things, homebrew and any other extra functionality I can squeeze out of this thing!

I've looked at and considered Sky3ds, but the cards seem so damn expensive! Twice what I got the console for, and that's rather out of my budget :( so I was wondering as well if perhaps I was simply looking in the wrong places, or if they were indeed so expensive
9.2 is the last firmware version with a kernel exploit. Browserhax is a userland exploit. A kernel exploit is needed to launch roms/CFW. Userland exploits allow for homebrew. If you want to run roms on 10.2, Sky3DS is your only option (note that it can't run some newer games due to the additional anti-piracy checks being added in those games). The Sky3DS usually goes for around $80-90.

Mopb3

Trophies
XP
Country
9.2 is the last firmware version with a kernel exploit. Browserhax is a userland exploit. A kernel exploit is needed to launch roms/CFW. Userland exploits allow for homebrew. If you want to run roms on 10.2, Sky3DS is your only option (note that it can't run some newer games due to the additional anti-piracy checks being added in those games). The Sky3DS usually goes for around $80-90.
Thanks for the info, looks like I'll be stuck for a while then until I can afford a Sky3DS card. Unless, and I know this is a very slim hope, there's any way to downgrade firmware versions?

Frelia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I'm about to receive an N3DS-J with 8.1.0-0J on it, and the seller has offered to install "MSET exploit and GW emunand" on it.

From what I've read, this will downgrade the MSET to 4.5, and allow it to launch the Gateway menu without a Gateway cart. Is this true?
Can I install any sort of CFW with this? NTR CFW 3.1 seems to be an available option, in order for me to use this to upgrade it from 8.1 sys to 9.2.0-20J (which will allow browserhax and cakes).

Last edited by Frelia,

bololabich

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
I don't know what's wrong with my 3DS but I made an emuNand according to this tut https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867/
and installed FBI according to the YT video from the tut but I see this when I try to install a cia game, devmenu or bluebox:

T69bdYr.jpg

honyo29

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Thanks for the info, looks like I'll be stuck for a while then until I can afford a Sky3DS card. Unless, and I know this is a very slim hope, there's any way to downgrade firmware versions?
only if you have that 3ds nand backup when it was on desired fw, then you can do it through hardmod.
if downgrading any fw is possible. no one here would stuck with sky...

I'm about to receive an N3DS-J with 8.1.0-0J on it, and the seller has offered to install "MSET exploit and GW emunand" on it.

From what I've read, this will downgrade the MSET to 4.5, and allow it to launch the Gateway menu without a Gateway cart. Is this true?
Can I install any sort of CFW with this? NTR CFW 3.1 seems to be an available option, in order for me to use this to upgrade it from 8.1 sys to 9.2.0-20J (which will allow browserhax and cakes).
all i can say is that looks very not noob friendly.
there must be reason people here keep telling 8.1.0-0j owner: " gateway is your only choice for now".

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-fbi-open-source-cia-installer.386433/
"Q: I'm getting a "DESCRIPTION_DATABASE_DOES_NOT_EXIST" / "DESCRIPTION_INVALID_DATABASE" error!
A: You likely haven't installed anything from eShop or other locations before. You will need to go to the "Nintendo 3DS/<id0>/<id1>/dbs/" directory on your SD card and create empty "title.db" and "import.db" files. Then, go to System Settings -> Data Management -> Nintendo 3DS -> Software on your 3DS and let it repair the database files."

Last edited by honyo29,

Lajszi

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Hello there guys!
I'm kinda new here (however i readed this site for years at some point), so here you go.
I supposed to be a Nintendo guy and i want to jump into the latest handheld gaming. I scratching my head between the 2DS and 3DS.
Do i loose anything aside the 3d slider if i choose the 2DS? I want to buy a flash card for the 2DS, which is the finest one?

D

Deleted User

Is it safe to download an update for a game on emunand? My LoZ: Majora's Mask is needing an update? Or am I supposed to install update via CIA

bololabich

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
I used to have 3DS LL JP and now I have 3DS XL EU runnning emunand 10.x, dumping games is easy but can I convert these .3ds files to .cia and run on another region? (cuz games are japanese and my new console is eu) How can I do that?

BobDoleOwndU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello there guys!
I'm kinda new here (however i readed this site for years at some point), so here you go.
I supposed to be a Nintendo guy and i want to jump into the latest handheld gaming. I scratching my head between the 2DS and 3DS.
Do i loose anything aside the 3d slider if i choose the 2DS? I want to buy a flash card for the 2DS, which is the finest one?
You don't lose much by choosing a 2DS over a 3DS. As long as the 2DS you buy is unused, it should be exploitable. I would go for CFW and avoid getting a flashcart altogether.

Is it safe to download an update for a game on emunand? My LoZ: Majora's Mask is needing an update? Or am I supposed to install update via CIA
Game updates on emuNAND are safe.

I used to have 3DS LL JP and now I have 3DS XL EU runnning emunand 10.x, dumping games is easy but can I convert these .3ds files to .cia and run on another region? (cuz games are japanese and my new console is eu) How can I do that?
There are a few ways to do this. You can use either rxTools or Decrypt9 to dump the xorpads for your game then use Riku's Simple CIA Converter to convert the rom to a cia. As for running out-of-region games, you can use Free Multi Patcher to disable the region check.

Reactions: Lajszi
D

Deleted User

You don't lose much by choosing a 2DS over a 3DS. As long as the 2DS you buy is unused, it should be exploitable. I would go for CFW and avoid getting a flashcart altogether.

Game updates on emuNAND are safe.

There are a few ways to do this. You can use either rxTools or Decrypt9 to dump the xorpads for your game then use Riku's Simple CIA Converter to convert the rom to a cia. As for running out-of-region games, you can use Free Multi Patcher to disable the region check.
Thanks

jamesymobilio

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How well do these CFW's run on the N3DSXL? I have a lead on someone selling a v9.0 at a small premium. I figure with the cost of the v9.8 I just recently bought at $200 tax in and the cost of a Sky3DS at $100 shipped, paying $300 for a hackable unit with more features seems a little more worthwhile, except that it's in red.

Lajszi

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary

Ohh, do we have cfw options on 3ds? Great, thats a nice start point! :) Thanks!
What is the last moddable system version for cfw, just to be careful at buying.

Last edited by Lajszi,

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How well do these CFW's run on the N3DSXL? I have a lead on someone selling a v9.0 at a small premium. I figure with the cost of the v9.8 I just recently bought at $200 tax in and the cost of a Sky3DS at $100 shipped, paying $300 for a hackable unit with more features seems a little more worthwhile, except that it's in red.
300 ouch but i guess thats the price of a guarantee i would say fuck that and get a $100 2ds
yes if it is on 9.2 or lower it will be good o3ds and n3ds alike

Last edited by wormdood,

jamesymobilio

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
300 ouch but i guess thats the price of a guarantee i would say fuck that and get a $100 2ds
I'm up in Canada, so prices are always a bit inflated compared to practically everything down south, and even more so now with the weak dollar. 2DS is not an option and I don't want to buy a used 3DS either.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm up in Canada, so prices are always a bit inflated compared to practically everything down south, and even more so now with the weak dollar. 2DS is not an option and I don't want to buy a used 3DS either.
well then . . . if you are ok with the price that fw version will be good for cfw
but keep in mind that you can only update the emunand (emulated system menu) to 9.5 while o3ds can update emunand all the way 10.3 (at the time of writing)

D13PLZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've decied to go with Gateway but one quick question, are their different versions that I can buy or are they all the same? I don't want to buy an outdated Gateway cart if that is possible? Also, if you had a reliable store that ships from the US would be great, thanks!

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've decied to go with Gateway but one quick question, are their different versions that I can buy or are they all the same? I don't want to buy an outdated Gateway cart if that is possible? Also, if you had a reliable store that ships from the US would be great, thanks!

There is no such thing as an outdated Gateway cart.

Modchipsdirect ships from New York and Peachds from California, both reliable.

Last edited by Tony_93, , Reason: Typo fix

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i dont think there is a outdated gateway card . .. .but i do think gateway is outdated if you can use gateway you can use free cfw
o3ds [Tutorial] Installing rxTools Custom Firmware - (Old 3DS and 2DS)
n3ds [Tutorial] How-to install a CFW on a 9.0-9.2 N3DS without CN/OOT

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-