• Views 4,445,196
  • Replies 53,769
  • Likes 43

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Ok again this plays to noobness here, is a NAND backup like a version of the firmware we can upload to the 3DS and replace the one installed?
If so are these downloadable or are they unique to each system?

Yes.
And they're unique.

logon

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Ok again this plays to noobness here, is a NAND backup like a version of the firmware we can upload to the 3DS and replace the one installed?
If so are these downloadable or are they unique to each system?
1. To restore a nand backup you have to physically solder wires to the motherboard more info here http://gbatemp.net/threads/nand-flash-dump-3ds-xl.350668/page-35#post-4855464
2. They are unique to each system.

If you want to use a gateway or any of the clone cards(I dont recommend buying a clone). I would suggest selling your 3ds and buying a new one with a firmware between 4.1-4.5
How to check the 3ds your buying is between 4.1-4.5: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3DS_ha...the_System_version_before_buying_a_new_3DS.3F

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
My question is:
1. Is it true that once 3DS is hacked, it can't play retail cartridge any more? The hack is not permanent, but when you are in "ROM mode", you can't play cartridges.
2. To play retail cartridge, do I have to restart 3DS to reset the system (disable hacking)? Yes.
3. Will the Animal Crossing game save be messed up if I try to play the retail cartridge in hacked mode? You will not loose your save. Animal crossing is an old game, and the save will work on any version of the system or hack.
4. Let's say in the future I start using EmuNAND (with either 3DSLink or GW) to play Animal Crossing, will it start a new game or it will continue with the existing game save?It will not start a new game with animal crossing. But some games are affected. (all games bundled with System Version 6.0.0 or newer)

3.0 is not working only of your system is 4.1.0, you don't need 2.0 if you are in 4.2.0 to 4.5.0
To use EmuNAND you will need 3.0+, but it's not required unless you want to play Pokémon. (it's the only game requiring emuNAND).
I suggest you read more info on EmuNAND and on all the 3DS hacking in general. look at the Wiki (link on the first post of this thread), it has a lot of answers.

4. If I ever want to play Pokemon or Animal Crossing, can I still use emuNAND to update my 3DS since I've already installed firmware on it or am I screwed on that front?
It depends if you plan to play them using ROM or cartridge. ROMs are not working yet.
Animal Crossing cartridge doesn't need EmuNAND. it works with 4.5.0
Pokémon cartridge require an updated EmuNAND (over 6.2.0), and you can update your EmuNAND to 7.0.0 without problem ! I don't understand why users are afraid to update to 7.0.0, it's a temporary NAND, stored on SD card. You can have multiple SD card with different EmuNAND version. You can recreate EmuNAND based on your 4.5.0 real NAND anytime. you can "downgrade" your emuNAND to re-update it later.

I'm not sure it if was what you asked, I didn't understand what you meant by "I've already installed firmware on it".

nervx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They updated the save encryption method in their SDK6, all games bundled with System version 6.0.0+ are affected.
You can look at 3ds.essh.co website to get a list of affected games.
Old games are not affected.

so to be 100% sure on this.

retail games that need firmware 6.0.0+ to run will get their saves corrupted if you started on a real system nand then try to continue on emunand or the other way around correct?

every retail game that uses a firmware under 6.0.0+ will not suffer from save corruption no matter if being played on a real system nand or an emunand correct?

has gateway commented on the SDK6 save issue and if they plan to fix it?

You can have multiple SD card with different EmuNAND version. You can recreate EmuNAND based on your 4.5.0 real NAND anytime. you can "downgrade" your emuNAND to re-update it later.

instead of having multiple SD cards with different emuNANDS is it possible to do a 1:1 copy of the emunand and save them to your pc for future use? would be a little more convenient imo.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
so to be 100% sure on this.

retail games that need firmware 6.0.0+ to run will get their saves corrupted if you started on a real system nand then try to continue on emunand or the other way around correct? Yes

every retail game that uses a firmware under 6.0.0+ will not suffer from save corruption no matter if being played on a real system nand or an emunand correct? Yes

has gateway commented on the SDK6 save issue and if they plan to fix it? Not yet

instead of having multiple SD cards with different emuNANDS is it possible to do a 1:1 copy of the emunand and save them to your pc for future use? would be a little more convenient imo.
Yes
http://gbatemp.net/threads/sys-transd-nand-injected-into-gw2-0b1-emunand.358545/

Bonovox40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So at this stage with r4 3.0 fw, what do I need to do to be able to play a japanese retail cart, on a usa region 3ds? If inrun the launcher in classic mode will it automatically region spoof as well?

liquidsolidyetboth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Noob questions but I gotta ask. I have a 3ds xl (4.5 system firmware) and getting a gateway, I have these particular questions:
1) emunand is for accessing the estore/miiverse correct if i update to 7.0 ?
2) is there benefit in downloading estore like can you dl updates for these roms ?
3) do I need to update emunand? I dont particularly need the estore but do I need the higher version for playing some roms? (I wont be playing retail carts on my 4.5, i have my other 7.0 3ds xl for it but still confused about emunand)
4) if I dont need the emunand update what steps do i need to skip (post on 3ds)? 17th step ? so I dont really need to update when i see GW3D?

Thx any answer is appreciated :)

Ryft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Noob questions but I gotta ask. I have a 3ds xl (4.5 system firmware) and getting a gateway, I have these particular questions:
1) emunand is for accessing the estore/miiverse correct if i update to 7.0 ?
2) is there benefit in downloading estore like can you dl updates for these roms ?
3) do I need to update emunand? I dont particularly need the estore but do I need the higher version for playing some roms? (I wont be playing retail carts on my 4.5, i have my other 7.0 3ds xl for it but still confused about emunand)
4) if I dont need the emunand update what steps do i need to skip (post on 3ds)? 17th step ? so I dont really need to update when i see GW3D?

Thx any answer is appreciated :)

1. Eshop does not currently work on 7.0 emunand until Gateway releases updated firmware.
2. Yes
3. Emunand gives absolutely NO additional rom compatibility and is only needed if you want to access official Nintendo services or play retail carts with classic mode.
4. Yes. You actually don't even need to install emunand at all if you just plan to play game backups. Just load the launcher and select gateway mode. You can also just skip loading the launcher and not hold down "L" when selecting "Nintendo DS profile". It will automatically load into Gateway mode.

kurapika777

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
question:

I have a 3ds 4.5 and Zelda retail (just bought it)
my gateway is en route.

I want to play Zelda right now without updating my 3ds.

what are my options?

Ryft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have a 3DS compatible DS flash cart (Supercard DSTWO, etc) you could go ahead and setup the profile hack and use the Gateway files to setup emunand on your SD card. Then you could use classic mode on the Gateway launcher to run retail carts and it shouldn't ask you to update because of the built in firmware spoofing. You do not actually have to own a Gateway to set up emunand... just a card that can run DS roms.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It will ask to update, because in EmuNAND Classic mode, there's no Region/system version spoofing.
He can update his EmuNAND System version using online (Go to Settings! NOT ESHOP!), or using Zelda.

Attention, be sure you are in EmuNAND before updating, or you will end up updating your System NAND.

landmasta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
Question: I need Pokemon Y 1.2. Can I just put my retail cartridge in my friends 2DS and update it there?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I think the updates are signed for your console. but you can test, maybe they are only encrypted but not signed?
Put in your friends console using your SD card. (if updates are downloaded to SD card). If it's in the NAND, then nothing you can do.

kurapika777:
To verify you are in emuNAND, create a new folder/rename it/move your icons/different sizes etc.
You will see if you are in RealNAND or in SysNAND by differentiating your visual changes.

For example, Make a folder on RealNAND called "N" (Nand)
prepare your EmuNAND, it will copy your NAND to EmuNAND
Boot into EmuNAND, rename the folder to "E" (Emu)
You will have a different folder's name.

Ryft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It will ask to update, because in EmuNAND Classic mode, there's no Region/system version spoofing.
He can update his EmuNAND System version using online (Go to Settings! NOT ESHOP!), or using Zelda.

Attention, be sure you are in EmuNAND before updating, or you will end up updating your System NAND.

Ahh my bad I thought classic mode still had the Gateway patches enabled.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill