3DS NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Cyan, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Uumas

Uumas GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 17, 2016
    Finland
    Check your internet settings, make sure you have DNS set to auto and try deleting the connection and adding it again.

CrispyCola likes this.
  2. IsaacMG99

IsaacMG99 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 28, 2016
    just had to update it, sry. SOLVED

3. IsaacMG99

IsaacMG99 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 28, 2016
    I have another problem: smash stays in the screen with the logo loading, and doesn't go to the main menu. Why thoo

4. B4rtj4h

B4rtj4h Gaming addict #2 and some

Apr 16, 2007
    Netherlands
    Bikini Bottom
    Yeah I know... but I do not want to softmod my 3DS.
    What I understood from the Sky3DS+ or Stargate 3DS is that you leave no traces on the device.
    And I hope that online checks are also not seeing that these cards are used. If that is the truth I really want to spend a little more money.

Last edited by B4rtj4h, Dec 7, 2017 at 11:19 PM
  5. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    The risk is minuscule and even if you get banned you can unban yourself in five minutes. Not worth spending any money on a 3DS flashcart especially since it is so limited compared to CFW. But if you have loads of money to burn, it is up to you :-p
    To put it in context many of us have Sky3DS carts and use CFW anyway. The number of people with Sky3DS carts and no CFW could be counted on one hand across all the forms.

Last edited by Quantumcat, Dec 8, 2017 at 3:13 AM
    B4rtj4h likes this.
  6. ThaDraGun

ThaDraGun GBAtemp Regular

Jul 15, 2007
    Canada
    I just got my son the New 3DS XL (Firmware version 11.6.0-39U)
    I haven't looked into any of this stuff since I got an acekart for his original ds. It was simple back. Throw roms on an sd card and your good to go. Now it seems a bit more confusing. ntrboot, cia, fbi.. Not sure what all this is. I wanted to get this setup before xmas. I have 2 jobs and a newborn so I dont have days to go through everything. I know I cant just blow through it all. Some is really important, but where should I start to get the basics for now? I want to be able to play backups of 3ds and ds games. (with online)

There are so many flashcarts available. Ive seen R4i Gold 3DS RTS mentioned quite a few times and its a good price, but it only works with DS games? To me it looks like the only ones that work with 3DS are around $90 (eg SKY3DS) is this correct?
    Cheapest solution is best.

7. Steffenfield

Steffenfield Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    Is it possible to take my save file from Zelda - Oracle of Ages (I have an GBC Everdrive cartridge) and transfer this to my 2DS?

8. BrineBlade

BrineBlade Member

Newcomer
    Jan 31, 2016
    United States
    ntrboot is the program that allows you to softmod your N3DS so you can install cia files

cia files are 3DS programs that can be installed through FBI

Assuming you have an Acekard 2i, you can use that for ntrboot, following 3ds.guide should help a bit

Last edited by BrineBlade, Dec 8, 2017 at 5:54 AM
    ThaDraGun likes this.
  9. deest

deest Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 25, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Hi, I have N3DS with ntrboot (boot9strap), I am able to play 3DS games. Is there any way how to play DS games by downloading roms? :) Thanks

10. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Restore the backup to the DS flashcart, and use it to play DS games.

11. ThaDraGun

Jul 15, 2007
    Canada
    I do have the Acekard 2i, But in that guide it says 3Ds versions "<= 4.3.0" mines 11.6.0-39U so I didnt think it would work on it. I can try and see.
    What about .3ds files. How do you play them, do they have to be converted to cia files?

12. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    .3ds need to be converted to .cia in order for them to be played from the SD card.

13. rebeltaz

rebeltaz Member

Newcomer
    Oct 17, 2014
    United States
    I have an R4 SDHC 2016 flascard that I use in an N3DS. I also have experience with softmodding the Xbox and the Wii. The 3DS is new territory, though. I've seen 3dsguide.com, but I still have questions. If you install CFW on the 3DS, do you still need a flashcard for anything? Is installing a softmod on a 3DS the same as going so on a Wii - ie. can I make copies of my carts and play those copies without having to carry all of those physical carts with me? Are the risks any more so than modding the Wii?

Sorry for stupid questions, but I've read several FAQs as well as the first couple and last couple of pages of this topic, but I can't find answers to these burning questions :) Thank you...

14. W4T4R1

W4T4R1 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 20, 2014
    Italy
    With a CFW, you need a flashcart only to play NDS games (there is a homebrew called TWLoader which can load NDS roms without a flashcart, but the compatibility is very low), as for 3DS games you will install them directly on the internal SD of the console.
    Yes, you can dump your physical games and install them on the console so you won't have to carry every cartridge.
    Theoretically there is no risk of brick, until the user himself does something stupid

15. rebeltaz

rebeltaz Member

Newcomer
    Oct 17, 2014
    United States
    Awesome. Thank you. I just finished reading through the complete 3ds.guide. It doesn't sound tha bad. I have a couple of weeks off work for Christmas. I'll try it then. Thanks again!

W4T4R1 likes this.
  16. Uumas

Uumas GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 17, 2016
    Finland
    If you still have the old ds you can use it to flash ntrboot to it following this: https://3ds.guide/flashing-ntrboot-(nds)

ThaDraGun likes this.
  17. ThaDraGun

Jul 15, 2007
    Canada
    Looks like my acekart doesn't work that great. Sometimes it will boot into menu (very rarely) most the time it says no ds cartridge inserted.
    So I need to buy a R4i Gold 3DS RTS? Or a different cart instead?

Last edited by ThaDraGun, Dec 8, 2017 at 2:08 PM
  18. Uumas

Uumas GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 17, 2016
    Finland
    That's a good option or you could get the plus version which is pre flashed with ntrboot so you can skip the flashing ntrboot section and just use the switch inside the card. Links are in the first post of this thread.

ThaDraGun likes this.
  19. ThaDraGun

Jul 15, 2007
    Canada
    How about playing online with cfw? That ok, or is there a risk of ban.. And if so is there anything that can be done to hide and prevent a ban.

20. Uumas

Uumas GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 17, 2016
    Finland
    There are the steps in the guide get started page to prevent bans