• Views 4,477,068
  • Replies 53,777
  • Likes 43

yoshimashi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know where to start with this but.. I had a 11.1 black N3DS a9lh+luma from Plailect's guide (#1 from Plailect's guide - DSIware downgrade) and bought another 11.0 N3DS no cfw/fresh (#2) to downgrade #1 from 11.1 back to 10.4 AND try to downgrade #2 from 11.0 to 10.4.
So last week everything was going well with the guide until Section IV when #2 got the 'you must update to latest firmware to access browser' I fished around the threads here and read that once you get that message, you can no longer access the 'no browser' option so I tried doing the smashhax because that's the only cartridge I have and I do not know anything about Linux so it was hard for me to understand what I needed to do despite the step by step instructions.

I even asked questions on #3dshacks but no one answered so I decided to upgrade it to the latest firm and use 'Section III- steelhax' So fast forwarding to Section VIII, after backing up #2 nand and downgrading it via dgTool (A few times actually) not only did I get the "successfully downgraded" but when I tried to proceed to accessing homebrew via no browser, #2 3DS told me that I was still on the latest firmware so it wasn't available yet. (At this point, steel diver did not transfer over to #2 3DS and even after downloading it, I got an error and it told me that I had to start over) When I went on #3dshacks again someone told me that it only partially downgraded and that wasn't enough and because I don't have a way to access homebrew and try the steelhax again or have any other cartridges that can help me access homebrew, I needed to system transfer again and start over on my #1 3DS since it had CFW.

Now while all of this was going on someone mentioned to me that I can restore my backup nand from #1 to try again but (and this part is my fault--obv) I forget that I can use hourglass to backup and restore. So I found a .nand backup in my old laptop that's from Plailect's a9lh+luma guide and what I thought was to be the backup of the finished guide ( Meaning finishing Plailect's a9lh guide and backing it up for emergencies) but that's not the case because when I restored my old nand, it wasn't the same... there was no luma update .cia so I figured this .nand was def from the guide, it was just in a different period and not the back up from the finished guide. Am I making sense? Because I'm starting to get confused over here..

Anyways, My thought now is to system transfer again so I can start over on the DSIware guide (and definitely back up #1 nand in case this happens again) and then transfer again (?) to downgrade #2 3DS. I don't know a lot about nands but because I restored my old nand )when I didn't have a9lh completely) on #1 does that mean that if I system transfer from #2, I'll get a9lh back? I'm just curious because if that's the case then I won't have to factory reset #1 when it gets downgraded and re-cfw it using Plailect's guide. I'm sorry if this is confusing. I just felt that I needed to start form the beginning to help someone understand what I'm asking.

dan0f3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A9LH + LUMA3DS completed via Plailect's guide. Thanks for all the knowledge and tips. Awesome community.

Well, maybe a last stupid question. Now that I have Luma configured, do I just boot normally and install CIAs via SD and FBI? I can do it but I think I was expecting something like a different looking OS (like in the old DS flashcart days where a gui would boot up). I'm worried if there is something I'm missing because,I don't want/need an emunand but I swear this is just the normal Sys firmware that I'm looking at when I boot. And that that's the whole point, but wanted to check with you.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A9LH + LUMA3DS completed via Plailect's guide. Thanks for all the knowledge and tips. Awesome community.

Well, maybe a last stupid question. Now that I have Luma configured, do I just boot normally and install CIAs via SD and FBI? I can do it but I think I was expecting something like a different looking OS (like in the old DS flashcart days where a gui would boot up). I'm worried if there is something I'm missing because,I don't want/need an emunand but I swear this is just the normal Sys firmware that I'm looking at when I boot. And that that's the whole point, but wanted to check with you.
Nope no special gui or "OS". It just looks like a standard 3ds. CFW isn't really a "custom firmware" as you would think, but rather it reads the actual firmware from the NAND and applies patches to it. If you want a custom "OS" you would need a custom home menu, but for now the only major things you can do are change text and colors. I know there are a few projects floating around that are working on creating a fully custom home menu, which would probably be what you are thinking of.

TL;DR It's supposed to look normal.

dan0f3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope no special gui or "OS". It just looks like a standard 3ds. CFW isn't really a "custom firmware" as you would think, but rather it reads the actual firmware from the NAND and applies patches to it. If you want a custom "OS" you would need a custom home menu, but for now the only major things you can do are change text and colors. I know there are a few projects floating around that are working on creating a fully custom home menu, which would probably be what you are thinking of.

TL;DR It's supposed to look normal.

Awesome! It's hard to believe it's so simple. Installed MK7 and played online. Tested a Japanese rhythm CIA (unpatched for region) and works perfectly.

Time to create a Mii, and my first NNID.
Anything I should be wary of? Like the eshop or certain types of CIAs?

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome! It's hard to believe it's so simple. Installed MK7 and played online. Tested a Japanese rhythm CIA (unpatched for region) and works perfectly.

Time to create a Mii, and my first NNID.
Anything I should be wary of? Like the eshop or certain types of CIAs?
eShop should work perfectly fine
As for cia I would only use them for games that don't exist in freeshop.
Most homebrew can be downloaded from the Internet with FBI, games can be downloaded with freeShop.
Be sure if you use cia that it is a good source, there is always a possibility of malware installs. Very unlikely, but not impossible.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Alluro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used the guide to successfully install a9lh luma on the latest firmware. Unfortunately, I neglected to make a NAND backup while I was on 9.2. Does this mean there is never any going back or is it just non a9lh/cfw that are unable to be easily downgraded?

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used the guide to successfully install a9lh luma on the latest firmware. Unfortunately, I neglected to make a NAND backup while I was on 9.2. Does this mean there is never any going back or is it just non a9lh/cfw that are unable to be easily downgraded?
With A9LH you can just downgrade to 9.2 and then run safea9lhinstaller to uninstall a9lh

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Kinqdra

GBAtemp's Official T-shirt
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Just did my 4th a9lh installation but on a 2DS this time and it's the first time I've ever encountered any real issue.
I'm stuck after configuring luma, it won't boot with or without the SD card inside... What do I do?

Last edited by Kinqdra,

gt10

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
Hi

i have an old 3ds with system version 1.0.0-0E.
i do not have any of the non browser exploit games, a flashcard or a second 3ds with custom firmware.
so i hope it is somehow possible to use the browser hack.
is it possible to update the 3ds with a cartridge game to get to a version that includes a browser and with that im am able to use the browser hack?

thank you

cravas

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hi

i have an old 3ds with system version 1.0.0-0E.
i do not have any of the non browser exploit games, a flashcard or a second 3ds with custom firmware.
so i hope it is somehow possible to use the browser hack.
is it possible to update the 3ds with a cartridge game to get to a version that includes a browser and with that im am able to use the browser hack?

thank you
No, you won't get a browser with cart update. You have to update with cart and use a flash cart or a Cubic Ninja to access homebrew(launch decrypt9)

Capone

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Boys & Girls
I've got a New Nintendo 3DS XL that I updated a month ago to version 11.1.0.34.E.
So the question is, can I install an entry point if I've never done it before or does it need to be done through a hardmod?
Where I make a downgrade in order to install a entry point as OoThaxx?
What I want out of all this is to be able to run Monster Hunter generations with an xbox controller, and also be able to stream it to the computer screen.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Capone,

cravas

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
thank you for your reply

how do i get the browser? internet update only?

You can get a Browser either with system settings update (it will update to latest FW ver. 11.1.0-34) and the only way to hack it will be with a HArdmod or the DSiware downgrade with another CFW console.

Or, if you do a cart update (to whatever FW there's on the CART, the cooking mama has 9.2 which is the best to have) and access homebrew with a flash cart or cart entrypoint (Cubic Ninja on all FW, Ocarina(although you need either a Powersaves or another CFW console), Paper Mario Sticker, Freakyforms, Smashbros, if ver. 9.x or above but below 10.7) You can then launch sysupdater or sysdowngrader to install the 9.2 FW that will install the browser and leave you with the console ready to hack.

Kinqdra

GBAtemp's Official T-shirt
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Just did my 4th a9lh installation but on a 2DS this time and it's the first time I've ever encountered any real issue.
I'm stuck after configuring luma, it won't boot with or without the SD card inside... What do I do?
bump - I got until tomorrow to modify it.. I heard something about reflashing the 9.2 firmware via hourglass9, can someone confirm?

Last edited by Kinqdra,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Did you pay your power bill?