• Views 4,492,244
  • Replies 53,789
  • Likes 43

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reason for that is it's not achievable? Or just devs don't bother since it would be (almost) of no use?
the firmware pre-3.0 is very different to 3.0+ (that is, 3.0 FIRM was basically rewritten). none of the same patches for today's firmware work on ancient ones like 2.1.

Reactions: Earth97

Nelsonammo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Total noob to the 3DS cart/homebrew scene. Are there carts that will play commercial 3DS roms? I have one for my DS and it's just plug and play, download the rom, put it on an SD card and it works. I heard for years they were having trouble with this on 3DS. Is it possible now? According to the wikipedia article, Gateway 3DS and Sky3DS can run commercial 3DS roms.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Total noob to the 3DS cart/homebrew scene. Are there carts that will play commercial 3DS roms? I have one for my DS and it's just plug and play, download the rom, put it on an SD card and it works. I heard for years they were having trouble with this on 3DS. Is it possible now? According to the wikipedia article, Gateway 3DS and Sky3DS can run commercial 3DS roms.
what's your system version?

Nelsonammo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean no extra flash carts are needed? You can just install a custom firmware and play commercial roms off the SD card slot? Is it difficult to do so? Is there a risk of bricking your 3DS? Can it still play regular 3DS games? Access the eshop?

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean no extra flash carts are needed? You can just install a custom firmware and play commercial roms off the SD card slot? Is it difficult to do so? Is there a risk of bricking your 3DS? Can it still play regular 3DS games? Access the eshop?
you can't just play ".3ds" roms, but you can convert them to CIA and install. or use things like freeShop to just download on the system. it's free and doesn't require anything else, if you have 10.7.0-32 or lower.

the risk of a brick when downgrading is very low today. it's easy. the two flash carts are expensive and don't really provide benefits anymore.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, seems pretty complicated but I guess I'll give it a try once a get a 3DS.
Is actually been recently updated to be even shorter and easier than the old way, if i told you how it was before....
Step 1, get home brew, install menuhax (to load homebrew easier)
step 2 Downgrade or upgrade firmware to 9.2

now the changes. This part was elemniated
Step 3 create emunand/rednand
step 4 downgrade emunand/rednand to get otp.bin

Finishing touches.
step 5 install a9lh (Arm9loaderhax) for 100% CFW :P

Now there less work and faster installs with the update. So you should be happy if you didn't know :D

Priyam

Trophies
XP
Country
India
So, unfortunately my system came with 11.0. I just installed menuhax through browserhax. It works fine. So, what are the things that I can do now? I know I can't install a9hl. Can anybody point me the uses of menuhax and the homebrew manager?

Earth97

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Emulators (GB, SNES, NES, etc...);
Homebrew games (Quake, Doom, Duke);
Homebrew utilities (SunShell, CHMM2);
Downgrade (after a hardmod/the DSiWare procedure) and A9LH.

Priyam

Trophies
XP
Country
India
A pretty noobish question.
If on 11.0 we can still install browser hax then menuhax, then what is stopping us to use sysupdater from homebrew manager to downgrade?

HunterMK8

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
heyo

after seeing the updated guide and how its almost brick-free on o3ds, i was thinking about moving to the a9lh master race
i just got a few questions though
- can i downgrade my redNAND to 9.2, and use that for the rest of the process?
- if so, it already has injected FBI, FBI cia (after updating fbi), hbl cia and StarUpdater, will this cause any problems?
- does the SafeA9LHInstaller in the guide automatically copy otp.bin to the SD Card?

thanks to those that answer my questions, and the developers for progessing 3ds mods to this capablilty.

Priyam

Trophies
XP
Country
India
I see, thanks. BTW, I just install menuhax, and I want to know is it permanent? will it always stay even after changing sd card or do I have to do it again?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/34203/Tomb_Raider_Definitive_Survivor_Trilogy/ mmm