GBAtemp's Official T-shirt
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Croatia
I need some help with a couple of things about A9LH:

-Someone on this thread said that I can still play my GBA cias after doing certain things. For the record I was able to play them without installing them to both Nands nor using the special patch, I assume it was because of my linked Nands. Can someone tell me how to fix this?

-Also apparently after I install A9LH I can't play out of regions games, just realized yesterday when trying to play an EUR version of VVVVVV on my USA 3DS. I assume there is also a way to fix this, if not I can just look for the right Cias. Is there anything I can do?

Those are my only two problems at the moment, I'll probably post again if someone explains to me what to do.
Noticed this one wasn't answered yet...

-You should be able to play your GBA games normally after installing a9lh. I'm running them on my sysnand (not using multiple nands) and they work just fine (using vc inject)

-You can play out of region games while on a9lh, it just depends on your CFW. I'm using luma and in that case the solution for games out of your regions is here:
lumaregion.PNG

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
But how is it working on the official side of Nintendo? I have read I can play official DS games on my 3DS. So why is it not working as CIA file? I don't understand this, what is the difference here to any 3DS game?
They are running as emulators. The SNES and GBA games you can install as CIA files are because Nintendo made an emulator that will work on the 3DS, and we can inject other roms into it. There is no emulator for DS games, has to be created from the ground up. So it will just be a homebrew thing.

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the case of A9LH, optional bootloaders allow you to more easily manager your a9lh.bin payloads. Luma3DS has it's own payload chainloader, but some people might not like that, so they might use one that fits their needs, such as BootCTR9, Arm9Select, Arm9LoaderHay, CtrBootManager9, etc. Again, they are optional, and you have to look into each one and see which one is best for you. Now, as for them preventing you playing those games, it doesn't really matter, Luma3DS's wiki shows you how to fix this by using pathchanger. I am also pretty sure that if you configure StarUpdater correctly, it'll patch Luma's a9lh.bin for you, so you won't have that problem (Not sure about LumaUpdater by Hamcha),

For Menuhax+EmuNAND//RedNAND users who use a boot-manager, I don't think they have to worry about this. I think. I am not sure, I'd have to test it. In a menuhax+RedNAND//EmuNAND setup, they are also used to manage your homebrew launcher stuff.

I have a lot of research to do and plenty of time to do it :) I'm definitely interested in the A9LH though considering it's essentially brick protection. Thanks a lot. I'm sure I'll have questions along the way but until then I'll keep on into this.

tombi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
With firmware protection can I really move SysNAND to 11.0 or should I better not do it? After that would a downgrade risk a softbrick again or am I 100% brick-free once I have A9LH with Luma3DS on the current version? :)

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Can I use this item without flashing firmware? Or do I have to have custom firmware to do it? Do I just load the roms I wanna play onto the item?
You don't need custom firmware to use a DSTwo. You just put the roms on the card and use the card.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

With firmware protection can I really move SysNAND to 11.0 or should I better not do it? After that would a downgrade risk a softbrick again or am I 100% brick-free once I have A9LH with Luma3DS on the current version? :)
You'll be 100% brick free once you've finished the guide. You'd have to really really try to brick it.

Reactions: proflayton123

proflayton123

The Temp Loaf'
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Japan
You don't need custom firmware to use a DSTwo. You just put the roms on the card and use the card.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You'll be 100% brick free once you've finished the guide. You'd have to really really try to brick it.

It is possible to brick with it though, deliberately in a sense although it's a strange reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alphageek89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Sweet! So I would just use it like any other game? Can I load multiple roms or just one rom at a time? What exactly do I need to make this work? It looks like it's just software I put on my SD card and it just works? Do I need a special cartridge? How much would I have to spend to get this working?

Last edited by Alphageek89,

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sweet! So I would just use it like any other game? Can I load multiple roms or just one rom at a time? What exactly do I need to make this work? It looks like it's just software I put on my SD card and it just works? Do I need a special cartridge? How much would I have to spend to get this working?
You have to buy a DSTwo obviously. That's the special cartridge, I guess.

You can buy it at nds-card, a GBATemp Sponor.
Link: http://www.nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=135

However, they only carry the plus version now. However, to play .3DS rom dumps, you'd have to be on an exploitable system firmware such as 9.2, and have to have CFW, and it'll only work on o3DS.
Link: http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial...e-work-with-latest-emunand-on-old-3ds.429035/

You can go out of your way and try to find a store that does still have the normal DSTwo in stock though, as that should be cheaper.

And you basically can have as many ROMs as the SD Card you provide allows.

Again, you need the actual DSTwo cartridge. Just downloading their files and putting them on your 3DS SD Card will not do anything.

Alphageek89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
However, they only carry the plus version now. However, to play .3DS rom dumps, you'd have to be on an exploitable system firmware such as 9.2, and have to have CFW, and it'll only work on o3DS.

What if I just wanna stick to DS and GBA games? I am fine with that right now. Would I be to choose later on with this hardware if it becomes expoitable to do 3DS roms. The 3ds I have now is an o3DS(assuming o stands for old vs the new one) I am looking to get the new one so I would use this for DS and GBA games basically.

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What if I just wanna stick to DS and GBA games? I am fine with that right now. Would I be to choose later on with this hardware if it becomes expoitable to do 3DS roms. The 3ds I have now is an o3DS(assuming o stands for old vs the new one) I am looking to get the new one so I would use this for DS and GBA games basically.
You can get the DSTwo+ and just use it for DS and GBA games. There is nothing wrong with doing that. It'll work on stock//vanilla firmware just fine.

As for later, who knows, maybe, if there is ever a way to downgrade 11.0 without a hardmod. On a brand new N3DS, you'll probably get a Firmware that can be downgraded to 9.2, but the .3DS rom functionality of the DSTwo+ will more than likely not work at all. Unless the supercard team releases something.

Like I said, you could try to find the older DSTwo (not plus) model, and it'll basically achieve the same goals you want. DS and GBA games. I use mine for those two things.

Reactions: Alphageek89

Alphageek89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can get the DSTwo+ and just use it for DS and GBA games. There is nothing wrong with doing that. It'll work on stock//vanilla firmware just fine.

So just to confirm if I spend around $50 on this cartridge. I would load ROMs on via a mSD and then I would have files downloaded from Supercard Team onto my SD card in console. I assume somehow a shortcut would be added to my screen. Like it showing up on the menu screen where regular cartridges go. From there it would load into my mSD in some way.

No CFW, No running scripts. The thing will just work? That is nice. Though a bit more involved than when I CFWed my PSP awhile back. Thanks for all the help. This seems like the easiest options that doesn't involved specially games to hack through or firmware mods. I didn't wanna get into all that. I just wanted play some Pokemon and Megaman games I used to play haha :P

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So just to confirm if I spend around $50 on this cartridge. I would load ROMs on via a mSD and then I would have files downloaded from Supercard Team onto my SD card in console. I assume somehow a shortcut would be added to my screen. Like it showing up on the menu screen where regular cartridges go. From there it would load into my mSD in some way.

No CFW, No running scripts. The thing will just work? That is nice. Though a bit more involved than when I CFWed my PSP awhile back. Thanks for all the help. This seems like the easiest options that doesn't involved specially games to hack through or firmware mods. I didn't wanna get into all that. I just wanted play some Pokemon and Megaman games I used to play haha :P
When you insert your DSTwo into your 3DS, it'll show up as a DS game. You launch it and it'll load the DSTwo menu. From there you select your games and away you go~! Again, it'll only show and load when it's inserted into your 3DS.

Edit: You will need the DStwo software files on the mSD that goes into the DSTwo. Not the one on your 3DS. That will do nothing.

Last edited by Temptress Cerise,

Doble-J

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Noticed this one wasn't answered yet...

-You should be able to play your GBA games normally after installing a9lh. I'm running them on my sysnand (not using multiple nands) and they work just fine (using vc inject)

-You can play out of region games while on a9lh, it just depends on your CFW. I'm using luma and in that case the solution for games out of your regions is here:

My GBA games stay on either the 3DS logo or gives me an error. The second problem apparently solved without me doing anything, I want to think it was just a lucky error when launching the game. Still would like to know what to do about my GBA games.

Alphageek89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you insert your DSTwo into your 3DS, it'll show up as a DS game. You launch it and it'll load the DSTwo menu. From there you select your games and away you go~! Again, it'll only show and load when it's inserted into your 3DS.

Edit: You will need the DStwo software files on the mSD that goes into the DSTwo. Not the one on your 3DS. That will do nothing.

Oh that is good to know! Couple more questions. I apologize for all of them. However, how does it handle saves,online access and stuff? Am I allowed to play the game like I owned it? Would I noticed a difference?

Also what is the difference between R4 3ds and Dstwo? The R4 seems to be only $20 which is why I ask.

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh that is good to know! Couple more questions. I apologize for all of them. However, how does it handle saves,online access and stuff? Am I allowed to play the game like I owned it? Would I noticed a difference?

Also what is the difference between R4 3ds and Dstwo? The R4 seems to be only $20 which is why I ask.
R4 is only a DS flashcart, it will not do GBA emulation.

As for online access, aren't the DS servers no longer in operation. As such you won't be able to do any online play. I don't think you'd really notice a difference between the original games vs how you run them on a flashcart. I guess. I never did anyways.

Alphageek89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
R4 is only a DS flashcart, it will not do GBA emulation.
I think I might be okay with that for <$20. I can't think of any GBA games that wouldn't have DS versions that I would wanna play.

As for online access, aren't the DS servers no longer in operation. As such you won't be able to do any online play. I don't think you'd really notice a difference between the original games vs how you run them on a flashcart. I guess. I never did anyways.

I wasn't aware of any such thing. I mean only game I could see using online is pokemon for trading in black/white and black/white 2. I wouldn't think those would be down.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work