Not open for further replies.

Sir Derpingtons

Herper of many derps
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not that hard to make a matching homebrew. You can even use the DSGM and display a picture at the bottom screen.
But who would really take the time to make such a stupid homebrew just for fooling people. I mean I know a few trolls who really have dedication to being a douche and stoop to really low levels, but this would be such a wasteful act that just wouldn't be worth it even for being a troll..

Edit: Wait, this could just be photoshopped and I think that's more reasonable too.

Reactions: air2004

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
But who would really take the time to make such a stupid homebrew just for fooling people. I mean I know a few trolls who really have dedication to being a douche and stoop to really low levels, but this would be such a wasteful act that just wouldn't be worth it even for being a troll..
I posted it when the threat started. Now I belive that it's no fake. But I think that it's not souch a big problem to waste 5-10 minutes to troll the hacking scene.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
ROFL at 3DS not being hard to emulate. It's dual core CPU, with 3D effects a dual screen and a fairly powerful GPU. Good luck with that.
So? ARM CPU's are popular, well documented and as such not hard to emulate, it's not uncommon to emulate dual-core machines (in fact, it's not uncommon to emulate machines with more than just two CPU's, as shown by Saturn emulators), the GPU isn't all THAT advanced etc. and the 3DS won't pose as much of a problem to emulate as you assume.

We won't magically have a 3DS emulator the moment all the hardware is mapped, but I'd be reluctant to blatantly state that it's going to be hard more so than emulating any other machine.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yes I've gone deeper into this thread so I see that. I still think it's a stupid waste, but hey opinion is opinion
The photo was taken by yellows8, who released the DSi ware exploit Suokuhax. There are reasons why we think that's 3DS mode and the last possibility to fake the picture is Colors! 3D.

cdoty

Trophies
Website
www.rastersoft.net
XP
Country
United States

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I heard from some people over at the Dolphin forums (wii emulator) that a device must be 10x more powerful than what it is trying to emulate to successfully accomplish emulation.

Is this true?

Not necessarily, if it was, then the Snes would only require a Pentium 386 at 33 MHz and the N64 would need a Pentium 233 MHz to run at full speed.

Reactions: Thorhian

Josh192

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just going on cpu speeds, the n64 cpu is about 93mhz so a device in this case would require a 930mhz cpu, whereas it will run on 600-700mhz maybe lower. But then again the gamecubes 486mhz cpu in my experience requires a 3.0ghz dual core cpu, which is about 12x more. It varies, but is dependent on how well the emulator is made / coded. Back before dophin was open source it had the ability to render games near perfect but required twice what you need now for half the speed. Now it is one of my favorite emulators because of its quality.

Reactions: nukeboy95

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Just going on cpu speeds, the n64 cpu is about 93mhz so a device in this case would require a 930mhz cpu, whereas it will run on 600-700mhz maybe lower. But then again the gamecubes 486mhz cpu in my experience requires a 3.0ghz dual core cpu, which is about 12x more. It varies, but is dependent on how well the emulator is made / coded. Back before dophin was open source it had the ability to render games near perfect but required twice what you need now for half the speed. Now it is one of my favorite emulators because of its quality.
What's a CPU speed? How does that even work?

You don't go by frequency in computing power comparisons - that's what we have MIPS and FLOPS for. MHz is a measure of the amount of cycles a CPU performs per second - everything depends on how much it actually does per cycle though. Two CPU's with the exact same frequency could have vastly different MIPS/FLOPS counts. Add varied performance depending on tasks and it gets even more convoluted.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
I heard from some people over at the Dolphin forums (wii emulator) that a device must be 10x more powerful than what it is trying to emulate to successfully accomplish emulation.

Is this true?
It could be 10x. but a better answer is that it can vary greatly with other variables such as the degree of cpu/gpu architecture difference of target/host systems and the quality of emulation software.

For example it's possible for a 2Ghz PC to adequately emulate a Wii when there's only a 3x cpu speed difference. However an NDS has dreadful SNES emulation when there is a whopping 18x difference in clock speed.

In short, clock speed difference is a bad metric of emulation performance.

Josh192

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What's a CPU speed? How does that even work?

You don't go by frequency in computing power comparisons - that's what we have MIPS and FLOPS for. MHz is a measure of the amount of cycles a CPU performs per second - everything depends on how much it actually does per cycle though. Two CPU's with the exact same frequency could have vastly different MIPS/FLOPS counts. Add varied performance depending on tasks and it gets even more convoluted.

Agreed, was going for a simplified answer. Clock speeds in mhz are not the best, as I said there is no average it is very varied, some being 6x difference (n64), some being 12x and as Snailface said, 18x difference in clock speeds for snes on the nds. So there is no steady average meaning it is not an accurate measurement.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Emulators must be coded to interpret different architectures and translate them to x86/x64 code in order to trick a PC into thinking it's something else. It also depends on how the emulator is coded and optimized, whether or not hacks are used to give a boost in speed, etc. The whole MHz Myth really bugs me sometimes; people need to realize that higher clock speeds don't always mean faster performance. A Core i7 2.2 GHz outperforms a Pentium IV at 3.0 GHz easily, not because of the speed, but the instructions, the no. of MIPS and floating-point operations or FLOPS. The 3DS could easily handle Snes and maybe even Playstation, but how well that would run is anyone's guess. But again, it all boils down to how efficiently the emulator code is written and executed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Ohhh. NSFW!!!! https://youtu.be/q3C3ceUYXRY?feature=shared