3DS firmware 11.8 potentially brings the Switch's method of piracy detection

Untitled.png

Looks like this is it. According to a tweet from SciresM, the latest 3DS firmware update 11.8 has ported the Nintendo Switch's piracy detection systems to the console. This strategy enables Nintendo to perfectly distinguish pirated and legit games going online and has been used before to detect and ban pirates on Switch. This is not something that can be avoided with homebrew. According to SciresM, Nintendo hasn't acted on 3DS pirates yet, but can choose to do so any time in the future.

Be careful, guys.

deadman8555

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will this stop me from being able to play future games if i don't update? Or could that be a nasty surprise we see around luigi mansion?

NicknameGoesHere

RIP my sanity: 2018-2018
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This kind of sucks, I have a bunch of game carts dumped an I don't like carrying them all around. And I actually use the wifi on my 3ds often.

NicknameGoesHere

RIP my sanity: 2018-2018
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will the system be able to detect if you have luma installed, if you go online and activate the menu? What if you only have B9S installed, and have copied the native_firm and renamed it as boot.firm?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that this new ap only applies to download requests. if you download from somewhere else, then install the cia, you're safe. there's no real need for emuNAND imo.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If my 3DS is already banned, and I haven't gone through the process to get it unbanned, does this matter to me? It's not like I really play online with it. I'd basically be using freeshop anyway.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so what about those so called legit cia's that we used to be able to install to official firmware before it was patched?
I bet they can detect that

BossRoss93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am glad my super paranoia worked in my favor. I have all my .cia games (from my dumped games) stored on an offline emunand, while keeping my system nand legit (to an extent).

I hope this encourages people to find a way to get cart dumps to load on the 3DS without needing to convert it to a .cia file.

I'm probably going to be doing this soon when the update rolls in. I didn't even know emunand was really worked on anymore. Can I just move my sysnand to an emunand and start clean with sysnand? Cause right now everything is on my sysnand, I dumped all my carts because you know... Boot9hax was future proof apparently lol.

CuriousTommy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm probably going to be doing this soon when the update rolls in. I didn't even know emunand was really worked on anymore. Can I just move my sysnand to an emunand and start clean with sysnand? Cause right now everything is on my sysnand, I dumped all my carts because you know... Boot9hax was future proof apparently lol.

It still works fine for me (Running latest version of Luma). You just need to use additional software to set up emunand on your SD Card (I think GodMode 9 is able to do it for you).

huma_dawii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OMG now they are playing with power D:

I have pirated so many 3DS games but choose to go online with my cia version of Metroid Prime FF, ITS NOT EVEN WORTH to get banned because of that game :'(

I will miss Mario Kart 7 online :/

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
There are no more reasons for the 3DS to be updated, other than anti piracy measures.

Sometimes it baffles me how people don't see, or dont want to believe the obvious.

This was true of the past 2 updates, at least. Probably Nintendo preparing for this big hit we just got.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts