Hacking 3DS Custom Code Execution?

xyzmanas

Trophies
XP
Country
yea but the gateway is restricted with what they team have done

also the cost puts alot of people off piracy which is good also

i see everyone seems to have forgotten about the $2300 donated to get the 3DS looked into

what kind of reasoning are you implying over here, I have always seen you post with certain understanding. But here you are just implying that putting a price on piracy is all right by all means? is that what you are trying to say?

Wow, if you can pay for a piracy implementing Flashcart then you are good to go and pirate like a boss, but if you ask for a solution which is free it is illegal and unethical. Thats the most hypocrite thing I have ever heard of. No offence.

dragonmaster

Ancient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
well a small question
why wont you give what you have to a person that knows what is doing to enable only homebrew,i mean lets see wololo example some of his user mode exploits are only able to play emus and homerbrew.in the end you can restrict the code of execution.

Yamagushi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well a small question
why wont you give what you have to a person that knows what is doing to enable only homebrew,i mean lets see wololo example some of his user mode exploits are only able to play emus and homerbrew.in the end you can restrict the code of execution.
People did this with PSP, but within a few days people found ways to get past it being homebrew only and allow piracy.

xyzmanas

Trophies
XP
Country
People did this with PSP, but within a few days people found ways to get past it being homebrew only and allow piracy.

YEAH and how did PSP failed because of that? I see it as one of the most successful handheld in recent times. At least justify what you are trying to say.

Reactions: cearp

soulrazor

Trophies
XP
Country

No. that is completely wrong.
hbl was never used to run a iso loader.
What you could do with it is load a program that could escalate your priveleges from the user mode exploit that hbl runs from to a kernel exploit.
But that could be done already even without the hbl( since the first entry point is not hbl but the usermode exploit used to run the hbl)
Instead of using hbl as a bootloader for the user exploit, the hacker needed to make his own loader for the first usermode exploit avoiding use of the hbl completely.

Reactions: rg

lightenup

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
well a small question
In a perfect world, there are lots of such candidates that both have the skill and can be trusted with such a task.. In our world, I simply know none.
Also keep in mind: We barely made it in and know exactly nothing. if you think 3dbrew documents the system software well enough to do a sandboxed homebrew loader: no way. At least 6 months tedious research&documenting is required, maybe more. This is not like e.g., the Android/iPhone SDK or even the libc. This is working with 'bits and bytes' - literally.

Reactions: NEP and Boy12
P

pasc

YEAH and how did PSP failed because of that? I see it as one of the most successful handheld in recent times. At least justify what you are trying to say.
nah… not really.

Successful in what term ?

Library ? No.
Sold titles ? No.
Sold Consoles ? No.
Innovative Concepts ? No.

Also:
If Nintendo was more open to hombrew/Indie this wouldn't be needed.
However in this case Nintendo wouldn't be Nintendo.

They are great at gamemaking. Thats all they need to do.

Reactions: Coto

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
nah… not really.

Successful in what term ?

Library ? No.
Sold titles ? No.
Sold Consoles ? No.
Innovative Concepts ? No.
the psp was great... there were 5 iterations of it, 1000, 2000, 3000, go, then then E series! they still make games for it, maybe they are not the kind of games you like, but you can't really group all the games on psp together , all different games etc. the psp was and is fantastic. but anyway, enough about psp, what about 3ds custom code execution? :)

Reactions: yuyuyup

dragonmaster

Ancient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
well it may be up to gateway to release some emulators for their card or even use the kernel acess for competely hacking the system as it was for ps3 in the begining of scene ;)

Yamagushi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who said anything about it causing PSP to fail. The point was simply that if someone put out a homebrew only exploit it would be used to create a piracy exploit. Pay attention.

soulrazor said:
No. that is completely wrong.
hbl was never used to run a iso loader.
What you could do with it is load a program that could escalate your priveleges from the user mode exploit that hbl runs from to a kernel exploit.
But that could be done already even without the hbl( since the first entry point is not hbl but the usermode exploit used to run the hbl)
Instead of using hbl as a bootloader for the user exploit, the hacker needed to make his own loader for the first usermode exploit avoiding use of the hbl completely.
How is it wrong.. You just restated what I said..

Reactions: Boy12

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol at everyone being god like and not releasing anything to public. What is the point Gateway 3ds is already on the market so how does it help? and the exploit is just upto 4.5 that would mean only a small percentage of users. What they don't understand is by not releasing anything they are just promoting flashcards and it is possible that they might be receiving some incentives from gateway for doing that.

exactly, there is only one thing that will kill the 3ds scene before it begins, people updating past 4.5 because of douchey attitude like this, we will not release anything BS,

soulrazor

Trophies
XP
Country
Who said anything about it causing PSP to fail. The point was simply that if someone put out a homebrew only exploit it would be used to create a piracy exploit. Pay attention.

How is it wrong.. You just restated what I said..

no i didn't.
what i said was
Hbl which is homebrew only loader, is irrelevant for piracy since it has doesn't add anything for that purpose.
and you said:
but within a few days people found ways to get past it being homebrew only and allow piracy

the thing was a kernel exploit was found. why do you think hbl stopped being updated after the psp keys leak for the psp.
couse homebrew no longer needed a loader to run it could be signed and could be run on ofw as long as it didn't need to use any kernel previleges to run.

And that is why when someone says that hbl and vhbl is used for piracy is wrong.

got it?

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
who give a shit about piracy, every console ever made has had it and the video game industry is bigger than ever
nintendo will just waste the money designing retarded POS like 2ds anyways, fuk em

Riku

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lightenup, this spinning cube in your video.. are you got it compiled from someone who have access to devunit/sdk? or you write it yourself from scratch?

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In a perfect world, there are lots of such candidates that both have the skill and can be trusted with such a task.. In our world, I simply know none.
Also keep in mind: We barely made it in and know exactly nothing. if you think 3dbrew documents the system software well enough to do a sandboxed homebrew loader: no way. At least 6 months tedious research&documenting is required, maybe more. This is not like e.g., the Android/iPhone SDK or even the libc. This is working with 'bits and bytes' - literally.

but you not preventing anything , exploit only exists on 4.5
not releaseing = shilling for gateway

this attitude is is what stiffled the ps3 scene , with people like mathiuel etc,

Chaossaturn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i see everyone seems to have forgotten about the $2300 donated to get the 3DS looked into

I did fotget abbout that, at this point I think there just scam trolling everyone.

I am not okay with that. Any suggestions what I should do about it?

Release what you have done, gateway won't make any money anymore, you win.

D

Deleted User

Release what you have done, gateway won't make any money anymore, you win.

How is that win? lightenup stated he did not want to aid piracy.

Lemme just quote my own reply once more because it makes it more clear:
If they open up the 3DS for 4.5, everything will be public, and also firmware files, keys etc etc. This means more people can try to find an exploit for 6.x or higher, and yeah that means for them aiding piracy even more. They don't want that. I respect them for that.

Now imagine if the GW exploit for 4.5 was "free", then there would be EVEN MORE piracy for 4.5..

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is that win? lightenup stated he did not want to aid piracy.

Lemme just quote my own reply once more because it makes it more clear:

this has nothing to do with "an exploit for 6.x or higher"
it only has to do with running code and homebrew on the exploit that already exists ,only on 4.5 it will not lead to any greater chance of an exploit on fw higher than 4.5

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: they need to have a strong line up on the launch titles too. I think they should move metroid...