Hacking 3DS 6.3 Exploit Found

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So again; how do we know that 7.x isn't exploitable? Do we even know the exploit he'd used? He just announced it too, so Nin shouldn't know about it yet... huh?

Profile exploit was closed in 7.X. So even if whatever kernel exploit he using,is still available there, there's no entry point or at least not an easy one, that requires nothing else.

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's quite easy to explain how it could be patched: They updated the section of the firmware with the vulnerability. It could be updated "by accident" just on the basis that the section with the exploit code running was replaced by something else and the exploitable part was removed/changed.

Profile exploit was closed in 7.X. So even if whatever kernel exploit he using,is still available there, there's no entry point or at least not an easy one, that requires nothing else.

Well see that's the thing, though. We don't know what exploit he's using. He just released the fact that he's got it working under "an exploit". We don't know which exploit it is, or how he achieved such a vulnerability. If it can be achieved here, then why not on 7.x? He just (literally just) showed it to us. Nin hasn't released a firmware to block it yet, meaning it should be available on latest firmwares, correct?

Do we know that it was closed in 7x? (I'm pretty sure we do, yes). But there's still a chance he found a new exploit in the "profile" section of the data. I'd say at the moment, everything stated about the firmware cap is just an assumption. I'm not saying I doubt you guys, but I'd like some proof first.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
So again; how do we know that 7.x isn't exploitable? Do we even know the exploit he'd used? He just announced it too, so Nin shouldn't know about it yet... huh?
Technically, they could make an extra push to start shipping all new consoles with a 7.x firmware installed BUT there's no way for them to force a console someone has already purchased at 6.x or lower to update if their internet is turned off (or only set to connect to the internet inside of an emuNAND)
It's very possible that 5.x and 7.x are also exploitable and that the exploit just hasn't been found yet or just need some tweaking on the original exploit for them to work which is what the case was with 6.x up until now (if you try to enter that part of the profile settings with 7.x or 5.x and the loader.dat file in place, does it still crash? ... I don't actually have a 3DS so have no idea)

EDIT : :ph34r:'d

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
the current exploits work in 2 stages.
4.x stage 1 & 2 work
5.x-6.x stage 1 worked but stage 2 was now broken/patched (this new exploit shows that a new stage 2 method has been found)
7.x + Stage 1 has now been fixed, who knows maybe the new stage 2 works, but without a stage 1 exploit you can't really test it

if this new stage 2 exploit works in 7.x i would imagine some hackers are looking for a usermode(stage 1) exploit to test if the kernel (stage 2) exploit still works for 7.x

the-green

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
Let's hope to see 5.+/6.+ GW/MT support in the near future !! It's the most important for now
A full software hack or a CFW is wellcome but it's difficult for now

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
Wow! Just Wow! Is there anything this guy can't do?!?! Smea is the breath of fresh air the 3DS homebrew scene needed..... This is so awesome that I couldn't be mad if he doesn't choose to release it :lol:

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
anyone notice the little dings by the dpad.......:Peven smea makes mistakes ;)...well not to mention the brick, but oh well its all part of the learning process, and btw im pretty sure with a little more practice smea would of got the soldering sorted, but he took the responsible route:lol:

jrr6415sun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sucks for all those people we told to update to 7.0 because it didn't look like a new exploit for 6.X was going to be available for a long time.

Who said that? I think it's been known for awhile that 6.X still had a weakness but everything above that was fixed tight

Yeah 4.5 consoles are obsolete now. Any competent buyer would know that 6.3 consoles would be a better investment even if they have to wait a while for the flashcarts to catch on to it.

Until something is released to the public 4.5 consoles are not obsolete.

Business plan: Stock up on 6.3 3DSs now, sell them for a higher price next year when nintendo releases 7.0 3DSs. :yaysp:

Why stock up on them now when they will still be available for the next year. 4.5 consoles were available for a long time, even after gateway was released

Reactions: yuyuyup

lisreal2401

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In terms of this working on 7.X, remember the usermode savegame exploits back in late 2012, I don't think they were ever patched.

jrr6415sun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
even so, eventually there will be 7.0+ 3ds's in stores, and people will want serial numbers. We just need to find the highest serial number someone owns right now :P

So wouldn't it make more sense to collect serial numbers of 7.X consoles once they are released?

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand

Because he is using the same mset hack for entry which was finally patched in 7.x, so even though the kernel exploit still exists in 7.x they would need a new entry point, and im presuming if he had 1 he would demo 7.x

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
maybe he used someone elses entry point to test it, but as it isn't his exploit he won't show yet

regardless come on 6.x exploitable, why does everyone always want more XD

althoooouughh, a 7.x exploit would mean 7.x keys ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: lorelei from pokemon is so fuckin bad bro