Hacking 2DSaver (Beta) - Fix your 2DS format brick - Testers needed

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No problem, here's a picture of the error screen, I followed the 3ds hacks guide.
There are a handful of possible causes to an ARM9 error. These are generally related to a select few essential nand files that are either missing, replaced with garbage/corrupt/dummy versions, or contain wrong flag values.

Running that script's Bypass Profile Setup might have set wrong flag values to the config savegame. Try this initial litmus test.

In GodMode9, go in the [1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND directory and press (X) on the data folder to delete it. This action will (more or less) do a Format System Memory. On the next boot to HOME Menu, your o2DS should bring up the new user setup [assuming of course nothing else is wrong with the 3DS firmware].

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

vanilllasalt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are a handful of possible causes to an ARM9 error. These are generally related to a select few essential nand files that are either missing, replaced with garbage/corrupt/dummy versions, or contain wrong flag values.

Running that script's Bypass Profile Setup might have set wrong flag values to the config savegame. Try this initial litmus test.

In GodMode9, go in the [1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND directory and press (X) on the data folder to delete this. This action will (more or less) do a Format System Memory.
It still gives the same error screen.

Last edited by vanilllasalt,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It still gives the same error screen.
Curses. You're not the first one who softbricked their o2DS after 2.1.0 CTRTransfer downgrade followed by 11.5.0 CTRTransfer upgrade. In that I need help Plzzz thread, ther user Wesleyy was in the same situation.

I hate for you to go back and forth with all these CTRTransfers. Try repairing the 3DS firmware again but this time with CTRTransfer (Type D9); see that page's Instructions.

If your o2DS manages to stay bricked despite running (Type D9), we might need to carry our discussion in PM.

Edit: Oh wait I only did the first part nvm, sorry for not reading :P
Late caught edit. Don't do the above part of this post if deleting data folder does allow you to create new user setup.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

vanilllasalt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Curses. You're not the first one who softbricked their o2DS after 2.1.0 CTRTransfer downgrade followed by 11.5.0 CTRTransfer upgrade. In that I need help Plzzz thread, ther user Wesleyy was in the same situation.

I hate for you to go back and forth with all these CTRTransfers. Try repairing the 3DS firmware again but this time with CTRTransfer (Type D9); see that page's Instructions.

If your o2DS manages to stay bricked despite running (Type D9), we might need to carry our discussion in PM.

Late caught edit. Don't do the above part of this post if deleting data folder does allow you to create new user setup.
Woops, sorry I shouldn't have put that edit, that method didn't work. But I followed the D9 instructions and it's fixed! Thank you so much for your help. One last question, does the 2ds have cfw installed now or will I have to add it myself? Edit: And would it be safe to format it and use ntrboot to install cfw?

Last edited by vanilllasalt,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Woops, sorry I shouldn't have put that edit, that method didn't work. But I followed the D9 instructions and it's fixed! Thank you so much for your help. One last question, does the 2ds have cfw installed now or will I have to add it myself?
Yay! Thank goodness! Other than that, you made sure to install all system titles' TIK files, dumped TWL / DSiWare CIAs (+ restore their saves if you got any games), and the o2DS update to 11.13 with no problem?

Your 2DS has custom firmware installed to its NAND. Running that (Type D9) script automatically took care of installing or updating to the latest boot9strap v1.3 on something called the FIRM0/1 partitions (the backbone of what makes modern 3DS CFW works). You also don't have to worry about not booting without SD card (CTRNAND Luma3DS taken care of).

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

vanilllasalt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yay! Thank goodness! Other than that, you made sure to install all system titles' TIK files, dumped TWL / DSiWare CIAs (+ restore their saves if you got any games), and the o2DS update to 11.13 with no problem?

Your 2DS has custom firmware installed to its NAND. Running that (Type D9) script automatically took care of installing or updating to the latest boot9strap v1.3 on something called the FIRM0/1 partitions (the backbone of what makes modern 3DS CFW works). You also don't have to worry about not booting without SD card (CTRNAND Luma3DS taken care of).
If installing the TIK files and all of that just means pressing A on every prompt in the script then yes, I made sure not to hold B and cancel a step; and it was able to update with no issues. Thanks again!

Reactions: TurdPooCharger
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If installing the TIK files and all of that just means pressing A on every prompt in the script then yes, I made sure not to hold B and cancel a step; and it was able to update with no issues. Thanks again!
Mentioning this again just to super make sure everything is good on your end.

* Step 13 as seen in the spoilers for FBI app (scroll down a bit). Check in the sdmc:/gm9/out directory for those mentioned folders. CTRTransfer has the unfortunate side effect of bricking the DS(i) mode.

vanilllasalt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mentioning this again just to super make sure everything is good on your end.

* Step 13 as seen in the spoilers for FBI app (scroll down a bit). Check in the sdmc:/gm9/out directory for those mentioned folders. CTRTransfer has the unfortunate side effect of bricking the DS(i) mode.
Yes, the folders are there along with a sysnand ctrnand folder. Now, I know it has cfw on it already, but would I be able to format it to be like brand new and add cfw with ntrboot? I've had issues with cias when using other methods of installing cfw so I prefer ntrboot whenever possible.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, the folders are there along with a sysnand ctrnand folder. Now, I know it has cfw on it already, but would I be able to format it to be like brand new and add cfw with ntrboot? I've had issues with cias when using other methods of installing cfw so I prefer ntrboot whenever possible.
You can Format System Memory if you like, and the custom firmware will not be removed. Just keep in mind a system format will permanently erase everything in the sdmc:/Nintendo 3DS/<ID0> folder or the installed [ games / DLCs / updates / saves ] library collection tied to it. However, your o2DS is already in a clean slate state, so there's no real difference having to reformat it again. Do it anyway if you feel it's a personal must.

vanilllasalt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can Format System Memory if you like, and the custom firmware will not be removed. Just keep in mind a system format will permanently erase everything in the sdmc:/Nintendo 3DS/<ID0> folder or the installed [ games / DLCs / updates / saves ] library collection tied to it. However, your o2DS is already in a clean slate state, so there's no real difference having to reformat it again. Do it anyway if you feel it's a personal must.
Alright, thank you!

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

vanilllasalt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: E1ite007

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

vanilllasalt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
any reason as to why you uninstalled cfw? seems like a unneeded thing for what was going on.
It's just a personal thing, I prefer using ntrboot to get cfw running since I had issues with other methods in the past, but I don't think that it caused the DS problem, I'm pretty sure that was because of CTRTransfer but I can't say for sure.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One last thing I wanted to add incase it helps anyone, after doing the CTRTransfer I uninstalled cfw, formatted the 2ds and started from scratch with ntrboot, and when I finished I noticed I couldn't play DS games, but I fixed it by following this guide:
https://3ds.hacks.guide/troubleshooting#dsi--ds-functionality-is-broken-after-completing-the-guide
That issue was covered in the CTRTransfer (Type D9) page's Instructions and mentioned in my post #367. The reason doing a CTRTransfer breaks DS(i) mode is because the nand's title.db and import.db (database files) does not match records of the TWL system titles and DSiWare games installed within the [2:] SYSNAND TWLN. I asked if you FBI installed those *.tik and *.cia files as seen in the spoiler examples in step 13 found in these folders.
  • sdmc:/gm9/out/<date>_<serial>_system tickets_(<region>)_000
  • sdmc:/gm9/out/<date>_<serial>_dsiware_000
This would have reinstalled them back to the [2:] SYSNAND TWLN with the *.db files corrected. The system update in the following step 14 should have updated them to their latest versions, step 15 (conditional) is to the restore the saves for any DSiWare games you had, and step 16 would be a final check that DS(i) mode does indeed works or requires additional troubleshooting.

Reactions: vanilllasalt

vanilllasalt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That issue was covered in the CTRTransfer (Type D9) page's Instructions and mentioned in my post #367. The reason doing a CTRTransfer breaks DS(i) mode is because the nand's title.db and import.db (database files) does not match records of the TWL system titles and DSiWare games installed within the [2:] SYSNAND TWLN. I asked if you FBI installed those *.tik and *.cia files as seen in the spoiler examples in step 13 found in these folders.
  • sdmc:/gm9/out/<date>_<serial>_system tickets_(<region>)_000
  • sdmc:/gm9/out/<date>_<serial>_dsiware_000
This would have reinstalled them back to the [2:] SYSNAND TWLN with the *.db files corrected. The system update in the following step 14 should have updated them to their latest versions, step 15 (conditional) is to the restore the saves for any DSiWare games you had, and step 16 would be a final check that DS(i) mode does indeed works or requires additional troubleshooting.
Oh my bad, I thought I just had to check if I had the files in those folders, I didn't think to install them.

tbskb

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
so I actually fixed my 2ds so it will boot to the main screen but my dumb ass didnt read that I am not allowed to update the system with a 3ds cart which I did. It said it worked but now it wont boot anymore. The blue light is on and stays on but the screen isnt showing anything... Is. there a fix for that??

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so I actually fixed my 2ds so it will boot to the main screen but my dumb ass didnt read that I am not allowed to update the system with a 3ds cart which I did. It said it worked but now it wont boot anymore. The blue light is on and stays on but the screen isnt showing anything... Is. there a fix for that??
Check if the o2DS has custom firmware by holding the (SELECT) button when turning it on. If it does, the Luma3DS v#.# configuration should boot up.

To fix a softbricked 3DS that has no custom firmware,
  1. [3ds.hacks.guide] ntrboot + R4i Gold 3DS Plus -or- R4iSDHC series if you have another (o/n)(2/3)DS(i)(XL/LL)(phat/lite) with working DS(i) mode.
  2. CTRTransfer (Type D9) - CTRTransfer if it doesn't boot to HOME Menu after installing boot9strap. See the Instructions.
  3. Finalizing Setup

Reactions: Alexander1970

xHR

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
What was this method with NAND backup? I haw a New 2DS XL that stuck on 3D calibration screen
A haven't Zelda OOT or any other cartriges. But my 2DS has CFW. Can I bypass this calibration screen somehow with gm9 or something?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
What was this method with NAND backup? I haw a New 2DS XL that stuck on 3D calibration screen
A haven't Zelda OOT or any other cartriges. But my 2DS has CFW. Can I bypass this calibration screen somehow with gm9 or something?
yeah iirc you can just inject the setup save from another console to skip the setup, or just perform a CTRtransfer update to the latest firmware that will automatically skip the 3D setup on 2DS consoles

this should be good for you to follow https://3ds.hacks.guide/ctrtransfer.html

Last edited by gamesquest1,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What exactly were you doing that caused this to happen? Were you trying to downgrade the firmware? Because there has been no need to do that for years now.

In any case, if you have b9s installed, you do not need OOT.
https://github.com/zoogie/2DSaver

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Although tomorrow is Labor Day which means I won't go to class which means I'll sleep well.